Notices

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
But even if I don't manage to find a good way to get it into an existing panel, I should at least make it available via the Macros panel... I'll see what I can do.
Well, if the apps button is too far from media or utility menu it could become a little bit hard to use loading it with macros.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hmm. What functions are Rewind and Fast forward being used for inside of menus? (Is it something like a page up / page down function?) As to the back button, I see that I've managed to get confused -- older LG TVs appear to have only an "Exit" button, whereas newer ones have renamed that control "Back", and created an entirely new "Exit" button. I guess I missed the fact that the old control was still being used, but in a new way; I thought they had just moved the Exit command to a new value. I'll figure something out.
I would expect to see rewind and fast forward buttons enabled in the media menu, now they are greyed/disabled. Sorry for the confusion.
Movement arrows only jump to a choosed playback position.
Concerning EXIT and BACK button, just to explain it better, now the EXIT button of this keyset behaves like EXIT and while browsing submenus it could be used to exit everything and return to the tv channel.

If i can say my opinion, from the usage perspective, i feel the "guide" and the "zoom" buttons in the wrong place and i would expect to find them in utility tab since they are standalone functions.
At the same time, in the menu tab, the guide button and disc menu(now greyed) could be replaced by the apps menu and back function.
...but this is only the opinion of a single user.

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Well, if the apps button is too far from media or utility menu it could become a little bit hard to use loading it with macros.
I agree. Setting up a key as a button on the Macros panel is currently the last resort for making it available in Pierogi. (However, you can also bind it to a keyboard key, which might make using it a little easier.)

I would expect to see rewind and fast forward buttons enabled in the media menu, now they are greyed/disabled.
Oh, I see! Please try using LG TV Keyset 1c, that might make things work right. (It looks like only the more advanced LG TVs have full media controls. However, older models could apparently use the blue/yellow/green buttons for play/pause/stop. I don't see any ff/rew commands in the older keyset, and play/pause/stop have new values in the newer keyset, so I don't think I could get away with pushing them up from the 1c keyset to the root keyset. Anyway, I'll take a closer look at this situation. )

Concerning EXIT and BACK button, just to explain it better, now the EXIT button of this keyset behaves like EXIT and while browsing submenus it could be used to exit everything and return to the tv channel.
Interesting! Keyset 1 should have "Exit" mapped to what I have listed as the "Back" button for modern LG TVs, where keysets 1a and 1c have it mapped to the "Exit" or "Return" button. Looks like I need to do more homework, I suppose...

If i can say my opinion, from the usage perspective, i feel the "guide" and the "zoom" buttons in the wrong place and i would expect to find them in utility tab since they are standalone functions.
Yeah, the menu panel was originally designed with DVD/BD players in mind, as those are the devices that I personally have spent most of the time navigating menus. I threw "Guide" onto that panel as it normally requires navigating menu commands as well. It would make a lot of sense to have a TV-centric menu panel for TV keysets; I could fit in not only the apps and back buttons, but the "Quick Menu" command that way as well... It'd take a little longer to put that together, but I'll see what I can do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
For those who may be interested, I'll attach a screenshot of what I think might be a decent tv-oriented menu panel. This particular panel has buttons for the major menus found on LG, Samsung, and Sony TVs (those being the Quick Menu or "Q.Menu", the Apps menu, and the Tools menu, along with the original "Menu" and "Guide" that were already on the panel). The Back button is also included for keysets that support it.

If there are other menu-oriented controls that you believe should be on this panel, please let me know.
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Almost perfect!

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Ok, version1.1.43 of Pierogi is now working its way up to extras-devel. This one has the new TV-oriented menu panel. (DVD/BD/etc. devices should automagically continue to use the old menu panel.) I went through the entire list of TV keysets, but pretty much only LG, Samsung, and Sony TVs are using these new menu buttons. (And I've only been able to find a "back" button for LG.)

As always, beware new bugs! Thanks.

EDIT: Btw, what would folks think about renaming the menu panel something like "navigation" or "options" or the like? Since I'm cramming items like "Guide" and "Apps" onto this panel, it's starting to move away from a just the basic "menu navigation" concept. Anyway, just an idea...

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-04-26 at 12:33.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
My Sony (KDL-24EX320) doesn't have a back button but it does have "return". On the remote you have select button in middle, directions around that and 4 buttons surrounding that, Sync Menu, Options, Return and Guide.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
My Sony (KDL-24EX320) doesn't have a back button but it does have "return".
Ah, I missed that! (In fact, a quick google for Sony remotes shows that some of them label that button both "return" and "back".) I'll get that into the next update.

On the remote you have select button in middle, directions around that and 4 buttons surrounding that, Sync Menu, Options, Return and Guide.
I've got "options" mapped to the "tools" button (Sony remotes apparently switch between the two names for different TVs). Guide should work already, I hope. I'm not sure what the Sync Menu does, though; I'll have to do some homework there...

EDIT: Aha, Sony's "Sync Menu" appears to correspond to Samsung's "Anynet" and LG's "Simplink". I'll try to get this into the next update as well...

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-04-26 at 13:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Now I'm home and checked remote, there are 6 surrounding nav controls. from top clockwise:
sync menu, i+ (info), options, home, return (with back printed next to it) and finally guide.

Sync Menu/AnyNet etc are all names for hdmi-cec features. Panasonic also have there own name, Viera Link IIRC.

Edit: Sony RM-ADP060 remote for bluray uses return with no mention of back but tools/option button is labelled as both.

You may also find Sony sync options as Bravia Sync.

Last edited by Android_808; 2015-04-26 at 21:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Ireland
Thanks, Copernicus, for improving this already excellent program. It works perfectly with the LG 42LB580V-ZM TV in my office, allowing full control of the built-in apps feature.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
well dell projector didnt work with the only keyset in pierogi also power button and too many butts are greyed out in the keyset
nither diffrent car streos that have small remotes worked
first faliure of pierogi here

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control