hey guys,
sorry if i post this in the correct section,but anyway to cut to the chase i am going to buy a new phone and i am can't chose between the n900 and the s2.i know this might be dumb at the moment,since the s2 is much more faster,newer and has a gorgeous display but i also like the n900 for the the things it does (aircrack,ubuntu,fm transmitter etc..)

any advise is appreciated

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Hrsda View Post
any advise is appreciated
Yes, you're comparing extremely different beasts here. My own advice would be along the lines of, "do you want a tiny laptop or do you want a huge phone?"

The hardware on the n900 is quickly being overtaken by changes in technology. If you want the best "experience" using the device as a phone, you really can't go wrong with the Galaxy S2. And, with work, you can probably find Android equivalents for most of the tools available in Maemo.

If what you are looking for, however, is a tiny laptop that can also take the occasional phone call, there's still really no perfect equivalent to the N900.

BTW, if you really want something in-between the N900 and the S2, the N9 might just meet your needs...

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
n900 is more like a mini laptop. its great and plus its totally open. you can do anything. even now android 4.0 is also coming to n900 now. but galaxy s2 is more fast, has better screen, speed, more memory. and n900 can also now play and even record 720p videos @30fps. so choose which one you want. its purely your choice.

I tested galaxy S2, awesome phone but... I prefer my N900!

The Following User Says Thank You to PartyboyXP For This Useful Post:
Hi. Im from Portugal. I do have both of them.. N900 and sgs2. Im thinking in selling my n900, which is in very good shape. no scratches.. just a minor scratch in the screen but doesnt affect its usuability. anyway im selling it to buy a asus prime. it is sim unlocked. if you are interested let me know and ill provide more details and photos of it ok? Thx

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Paris
Have both of them too....put the sim card in the sgs2 but.....my N900 still is in my jeans pocket, never gonna be sell this one, priceless man!!..and btw the battery last muuuuuch longer now without a sim card and 3G and all that stuff.....
Saying that must say too that the huge screen of the galaxy S2 is almost fantastic and I enjoy everything on it not only games....

Choosing between these two it's like choosing between big love and nicest looking chick aroound....couldn't go wrong with any of....

thanks for the response guys
yeah i thought of the n9 (i got a demo from the nokia dealer here) and eventhough i love it,i feel as if it doesn't have many apps or functions like the n900 did.i am still stumped though

BTW the galaxy note is a bit too big for me

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
N900 was a beast of its time, compared to Samsung Galaxy S II which is somewhat a beast of todays era its quite hard to compare. Whilst both offers a wide variety of options to the end user, at the end of the day for me it seems N900 is a little more open in terms of raw hardware access, booting into other platforms (as long as its supported) easily, and best of all it features a proper hardware keyboard. The N900 (as you would have already realised) is more of a geek's toy than to using any of the android devices would make you more of a geek. Both N900 (as well as maemo devices in general) are usually packed full of cool stuff. This is not to say that for instance Samsung Galaxy S II doesn't however the answer does speak for itself apart from comparing an old toy to a new one.

On this slightly biased (towards maemo) forum you'll find users like myself tending to prefer recommending maemo based devices. N900 by a long shot may seem like a smartphone, it may act a little like a smartphone but it lacks some of the features that a smartphone would regularly feature, thus as a pure smartphone it would not function perfectly as such one. N900 is more of an internet tablet as I'm sure you would have heard at least one other person mentioning that it is, for starters you could see that N900 provides you a stylus which you generally would not see being offered on any other regular smartphone devices. This is not to say that N900 is not fit for performing smartphone duties or as required on a regular day-to-day basis however you'll find that N900 being marketed as a smartphone is kind of like a square peg in a round hole.

Another thing to note here is that N900 is no longer loved by nokia. You could say that it is somewhat basically disowned. nokia no longer provides much help for N900 owners apart from security updates and no longer manufactures N900. Apart from N900 which maybe manufactured with hardware defects such as faulty microUSB port that can be easily broken, others faces issues such as things that plug into the A/V socket (usually wired head{phones,set}) can be faulty or even SIM card being unrecognised despite it was working before. Should you encounter a faulty N900 either because it was abused or because it was made with defects, such issues generally has to be remedied by yourself as handing N900 over to nokia care would not necessarily mean that you would see your N900 or a replacement N900 back.

Last but not least, on the discussion of N9 it would be great if N9 was actually made with a hardware keyboard and would not feature things such as aegis (DRM/security measure) however the reality is far from what was highly anticipated by the maemo/meego community.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
thanks tuxsavy
i have realized that the n900 is a "geek's toy" and thats what prevents me from leaving it.but what prevents me from buying it is the the fear that it meager power(compared to the s2)would cause lags.
in the end what i am asking is, does the n900 lag(so much that it is unusable)?.

so far i have never seen the s2 lag

Last edited by Hrsda; 2011-12-07 at 14:47.

Originally Posted by Hrsda View Post
thanks tuxsavy
i have realized that the n900 is a "geek's toy" and thats what prevents me from leaving it.but what prevents me from buying it is the the fear that it meager power(compared to the s2)would cause lags.
in the end what i am asking is, does the n900 lag(so much that it is unusable)?.

so far i have never seen the s2 lag
lolwut? meagre power ay? Your concerned about 'lag' are you?

S2 for you son, S2 and don't look back.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post: