Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Between the two, Qt and .NET are not really the same. Folks will say so, but on the .NET side, if you want to do a lot of UI, you will find it woefully short on some methods and that's where Infragistics or Telerik libraries comes in to sorta "save the day" (read: they add a lot of heft to your code)

I always felt like Qt was more lightweight compared to .NET, but fundamentally they are not truly the same - the .NET CLR alone makes a big difference to me. In Qt, I always felt like I was more of a UI dev whereas in .NET I feel like I'm more of the backend.

But that's my personal experience where Qt was what drove the UI mostly with C++ or Python running the data and connections. In .NET, I don't come out of C# to do most of that (some XAML for UI if I don't use the aforementioned libraries)... but your mileage may vary.

To me, buying Xamarin is sorta huge because of three reasons: Visual Studio runs only on Windows but the free Community Edition that allows for plugins, libraries and Azure connectivity is basically a fully functioning IDE as you'd pay for it - but it's only on Windows; the .NET CLR has been ported to other operating systems and made open source for quite some time but no tool really captured the attention of the folks that weren't using Windows; this addresses the lack of being able to code and port code from a different direction than the failed Project Astoria which promised Android runtime ports of apps... this is how you build your apps and have it run in many other places Microsoft normally do not run.

I'm not exactly a fan of Microsoft but some of their recent moves are pretty darn cool in my book. Visual Studio Code, Hololens, and this are worth my attention.

Windows 10 and my privacy though... meh

what operating system you run i guess you got multiple machines just asking the os your main machine runs

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
what operating system you run i guess you got multiple machines just asking the os your main machine runs
My main machine? OS X.

And you're right... I have multiple machines at my disposal. Via VM, I run even more OS's.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: