Active Topics

Notices

im not sure the encoded method, none of the mkv's I have tried work, so I guess I will have to convert them with something

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
im not sure the encoded method, none of the mkv's I have tried work, so I guess I will have to convert them with something
try mplayer.

i have some mkvs here too. the default player throws an error on them, but mplayer is able to play them.
(but the bitrate is too high and so they are pretty laggy ^^)

just try mplayer.

edit: mplayer is just command line. if you want a GUI install KMPlayer or SiB in addition

Sounds like you might be encountering the issue where the N900 won't play anything with resolution bigger than the screen. The extra decoders support package mentions that it still hasn't fixed that issue.

I havent checked the resolution of them but im guessing that is the case as they are from HD source albeit 720P

Ive checked the resolution and the mkv's I have are 1280 x 720

So I guess thats why they wont work

bah, i dont know anything about how to use x terminal or anything.

But is it hard to make MPlayer open the mkv files?

I tried to play the video with "Extra decorders support" and "KMPlayer" and max it's got going is playing flash files, heck, might be it's something the device does on it's own to ( since first tried putting that kind of file on now, but guess it's from the device since it can already play flash on the net)
so bottem line, seems like the players dont work : 7

I mean the mkv file i'm trying to run is 640 x 352 big, about 5 min long, not bigger than 30 mb, when i look into it's properties it says this:

Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 640x352 23.98fps [Video]
Audio: Vorbis 44100Hz stereo [Audio]
Subtitle: Advanced SubStation Alpha [Subtitle]

and it dosnt wanna play T_T

And no use in trying to convert the file, i know i can do that, problem is subs are gone then, as it seems like it's not burned intothe file

EDIT: and this is ridicules, after removing the programs i installed, now it dosnt even want to play the normal videos, or even my music files >_<

Last edited by Tiase; 2010-02-06 at 02:19.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
same problem here.
my whole collection is in mkv, with h.264 (x264) + vorbis.
as soon as i attempt to play one of those files, media player freaks out and refuses to play anything, until reboot (i even had to reinstall the codec pack one time).

it's a shame mplayer isn't optimized at all and practically unusable.

Originally Posted by IcyAirs View Post
Sounds like you might be encountering the issue where the N900 won't play anything with resolution bigger than the screen. The extra decoders support package mentions that it still hasn't fixed that issue.
I also believe that this is the problem, hopefully they will release an update soon to fix this problem

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
found it. my videos didn't have baseline encoding but "high".

it's still beyond me why the built-in player only understands baseline and lo-res.

h264 baseline is designed for cellphones
h264 main is designed for fat powerhungry processors