Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
Not true Multitasking
Not Linux
But the biggest show-stopper is this:
I also found the android folder inside, just like these guys did:
I won't dispute your personal experiences with the Ubuntu Touch, but some of the technical aspects are misleading.

So yes you have stuff from Android there. That's because Ubuntu, like Sailfish, uses Android's device drivers. Jolla did most (or almost all?) of this work, and Ubuntu uses it too (libhybris). Both of these OSs are doing this because getting drivers from hardware manufacturers for OSs with little to no market share would be next to impossible. So it's quite clever and reasonable to create a compatibility layer for Android's device drivers, so that you can run your own OS using drivers that have already been developed for Android

About multi-tasking: quite right there. It's non-existent and Ubuntu are following Apple paradigm there. No real multi-tasking, everything that needs background processing needs some OS support in terms of special services that applications ask them to do. In my opinion Ubuntu is shooting themselves to their own foot here copying Apple. But that's just my opinion. There's other aspects similar to this where they're in my opinion too blindly doing what Apple is doing. But that's just my narrow viewed opinion, and I have no problems admitting I may not understand the full picture.

From my point of view I'd summarize the main differences, good and bad points, between Sailfish and Ubuntu (these are to me the two relevant linux phone systems now):

Ubuntu:
- No multi-tasking
- Very restrictive application development model (like Apple)
+ Pretty much everything is open source
+ You can probably get around the aforementioned restrictions with enough technical expertise

Sailfish:
- Much of the UI related and Jolla applications are not open source
- Jolla Store has quite restrictive rules for applications, including what libraries they can use and denying background processes
+ Multi-tasking
+ Linux-like application development model without extra restrictions except what's placed upon by Jolla Store. And there's OpenRepos for such applications

Then there's of course the UI of both of these offerings. There's some things I like a lot in Ubuntu Touch (like the application choosing carousel and next-previous application), but overall I find Sailfish much simpler and more powerful UI.

So both have their good points and I don't really find a reason to bash either of them.

Ubuntu's major strength is that it's pretty much open source as far as it can be, and that's to me reason enough to be at least supportive of it. I severely dislike their application development model, and think it's a severe hindrance on application development as there's no way it can scale to unanticipated scenarios.

Sailfish's strength is that it's much more closely aligned to standard Linux development model, and there's real multi-tasking (even if it's hampered somewhat by deep-sleep compared to maemo or N9). And the UI is nicer.

I for one try to support both of these platforms. And of course gripe now and then about their short-comings :P.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, ubuntu