Active Topics

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Now with my custom brightness and external charger system i use it also at night as a clock via the very cool flip clock

Light Level: (Not needed normally)
Custom brightness (my version not simple) allows brightness down to 2, flip clock has a brightness setting but it doesn't work on mine, of course you can just make a shortcut (QBW etc) to set the brightness at a certain level (2-255) at night.
Custom Brightness

Charging and keeping topped up through the night. (Maybe Needed)
Now this is where my charging system comes in, POST #2 will explore means of charging via normal USB charging.
The charger i use now is the cheap-o charger made from parts from DX, it charges with up to 1A, but because of the thin long wire that i use i charges with much less, but more then enough then to charge up through the night
My cheap external charger
My charge plug and more in mugen cover

Flip Clock (it is in the repos)
Name:  Screenshot-20111025-211049.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  19.3 KB

Battery graph, will be updated when charger is upgraded.
Name:  overnight charge 001.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  19.4 KB

This post will as usual be edited some times.

Things i need to post:
More info on my charger and setup

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2011-10-27 at 09:27.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Post #2, reserved for USB charging system

Battery Graph for USB charging with flip clock all night
Name:  overnight charge 002.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  17.6 KB

NOTE: Need testers here, if the USB charge shuts off after full charge is reached and then drains resulting in 10-30% battery drain when you wake up, then we need someone to make charging kick in again after 5% discharge.

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2011-10-28 at 10:00.

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
This would be good if you could alter the colours used, I think I would prefer a mid-to-dark grey on black as even at brightness level two I find the display too bright at night.
Happy to test this for you, as my N900 charges by my bed every night.

well there are settings in flip clock (i didn't make it), and if you are using normal/simple brightness then you can set the brightness from flip clock, so no need to install my custom brightness.

install flip clock and play with it, only thing needed here is:
Will when charging via USB (normal charging) will it keep it topped up or will it drain and not charge after full charge (some time at night)

I am looking forward to further updates, this is cool!

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
The N900 without any modification or added software got a setting to keep the display lit while charging.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Yes! This is great! Can we get it off the standard repository? Please???

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
The N900 without any modification or added software got a setting to keep the display lit while charging.
Yes the flip clock can keep the light on, and set it from 2-255, i haven't tested this since my custom brightness takes over.

-----------------------

I still need testers to confirm if this works with normal charging, the question is still, will it stop charging when full and then drain battery for the next 2-5 hours until you wake up.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Yes, unfortunately it doesn't keep the display lit when full charged. See https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10496

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Post #2, reserved for USB charging system

NOTE: Need testers here, if the USB charge shuts off after full charge is reached and then drains resulting in 10-30% battery drain when you wake up, then we need someone to make charging kick in again after 5% discharge.
Not sure if this is related, but I used to connect my N900 to a set of speakers and play music throughout the night while charging(used to sleeping with music, couldn't sleep well without it as my desktop died on me so i had to make do with my N900).
Woke up in the morning, phone battery charge at FULL. I hope this info helps though

Cheers!
-Ethan

The Following User Says Thank You to MrBigCow For This Useful Post:

Tags
alarm, clock, display, night