Notices

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Middle East
Hey guys,

I’ve been trying to do something with my N900 for a while now, without success. I want to create shortcuts to “Notes” files on one of my N900’s desktops, just the way it’s done on any Windows OS on desktops.

The reason is: I need to make each file a to-do list for work and home tasks, things I want to buy, things I want to accomplish, etc. I can’t manage my time or make any achievements without notes and lists everywhere in my life. I want shortcuts on desktop to quickly open and edit them.

I tried apps other than notes (all that is available, literally) and didn’t like anything other than Nokia’s own “Notes”.
I tried searching for “Notes” specific commands, then xterminal’s commands, then busybox’s commands, then queen beecon’s scripts, at no avail (I’m a windows user, so my knowledge of Linux’s commands was minimal to start with, and I couldn’t figure out making scripts to be honest).

I consulted a friend of mine (a Linux guru), so he tried a few tricks, but nothing worked. Then he tried to switch me to vim. Of course I found that N900’s vim is without GUI, not to mention that I want my files to open with N900’s “Notes” anyways, as I love it.

I have spent over a month trying to figure it out, without results.

So once again, if anybody knows how to create a shortcut for N900’s “Notes” files, please let me know how.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Mk4ever; 2012-01-18 at 06:16.

Use QBW to create a widget for each of your files you want to open in "Notes". Edit the widget and click the "Edit Cmd" button and enter
Code:
osso_notes /full/path/to/file.note.html
Save the widget click on it and "Notes" will open with you chosen file.

Edit: The above solution doesn't work! Please ignore.
My working solution below
, which uses a variation of m750 code

Last edited by JonWW; 2012-01-09 at 22:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Or you can add a new "phantom" application:
create a new .desktop file in /usr/share/applications/hildon
For example: mydocument.desktop
The file must contain these lines

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Name=mydocument
Exec=dbus-send --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.osso_notes/com/nokia/osso_notes com.nokia.osso_notes.mime_open string:/home/user/MyDocs/mydocument.txt
Icon=general_notes
blue text must be personalized.

note:
Exec=dbus-send --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.osso_notes/com/nokia/osso_notes com.nokia.osso_notes.mime_open string:/path_to_your_file
is all in one line

Now you can see a new application (mydocument) and you can add it on your desktop.
tilt2control : control mediaplayer by tilting your n900.
gpstracker-c : easy handle your gpstracker tk102.
pyOBD for maemo (OBD-II cars diagnostic)

Last edited by m750; 2012-01-09 at 21:12. Reason: grammar... sorry

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to m750 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
What you want to do is not possible in maemo.
But that was the reason why i asked for some help to create a program to do it, which later got the name deskypplet...

With deskypplet you have the whole filesystem aviable to your disposal, and can create folders and notes or anything else, and put it in these folders just like on a real desktop.

However, because of the complete lack of feedback, we have put the updates in the repos on hold, the version there is 0.46 i think, while the version we have is 0.9 and soon 1.0
There is a great difference between these in functionality since our version can handle desktop files, folder customizations and a lot of other stuff that the repository version cant do.

But we may update the repository if we get enough requests to do so...
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
OK, my first solution, I should have checked properly as it doesn't work.
I have written a Queen Beacon Widget that does what you want. I hope you know how to import one.
In Advanced settings enter in the full path to the file you want. It will also place the file name on the widget to differentiate files on the home screen.
Attached Files
File Type: txt QB_Open_In_Notes.qbw.txt (2.2 KB, 129 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Also, you can simply use Conboy Not exactly w$ndoze way of taking notes, but that isn't con - it's *much* more efficient. Try it, and you'll forget about messing Your desktop with shortcuts for individual notes.

Not to mention that with Conboy (Maemo), you can synchronize notes - for example, with it's mainstream desktop equivalent, Tomboy.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I can second Estel, the best solution for taking notes probably is conboy.
But people sometimes have old (&stupid) habits. Like using a Desktop. And wanting this on a smartphone too. Me included
so @ electroaudio:
please update deskypplet, ideally in the repos.

Last edited by longuist; 2012-01-10 at 00:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longuist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Mk4ever View Post
I need to make each file a to-do list for work and home tasks, things I want to buy, things I want to accomplish, etc. I can’t manage my time or make any achievements without notes and lists everywhere in my life.
I use Multilist for this, & it works well for me. You can create several lists within it, for shopping, work tasks, etc., & view & maintain them.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Middle East
Amazing!

Amazing indeed is your willingness to help guys. Thank you very much. I now regret not participating in the forum as much as I could.

@JonWW
I already know that osso_notes doesn't accept any switches, but you beat me to mentioning it. It doesn't care about the file you want to open using cli commands; it always opens the last opened file. I have yet to try your second post.

@ m750
Sounds really interesting. Unfortunately, I tried it yesterday but it didn't work. I'll have to repeat the process again carefully to roll out mistakes on my part. By the way, is this procedure dependent on the presence/installation of specific apps (like d-sub switchboard - if I remember the name correctly)?

To all
Many thanks guys for all your support. Unfortunately I have a deadline at work this Saturday, and my teammates are running late. So most likely I won't have the time to test your suggestions for a few days. But I sincerely thank you. I'll try all that you've mentioned (especially deskypplet, which sounds really interesting), and report back.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Mk4ever View Post
@ m750
Sounds really interesting. Unfortunately, I tried it yesterday but it didn't work. I'll have to repeat the process again carefully to roll out mistakes on my part. By the way, is this procedure dependent on the presence/installation of specific apps (like d-sub switchboard - if I remember the name correctly)?
No, others apps are not necessary.
Befor posting, i have tested my solution.
tilt2control : control mediaplayer by tilting your n900.
gpstracker-c : easy handle your gpstracker tk102.
pyOBD for maemo (OBD-II cars diagnostic)

Last edited by m750; 2012-01-11 at 08:04.