Active Topics

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
My theory is that the emma-less way is just not easy enough for people to apply right now for an official release. In it's current state (judging by the HADK-Linux instructions) it involves booting the device into recovery mode and telneting into it to copy the blobs to the oem-partition. For that solution to be official they'll have to automate that process which is not trivial because they'll either have to script telneting into the xperia-x or create an custom recovery image which automatically prepares the partition, then reboots again into fastboot-mode so that they can flash the normal recovery again.
Yes I would like to see this automated before using it. And I'm a Linux using IT guy. I'd recommend something like Fabric (fabfile.org) to automate the scripting. That would work on Windows and Linux.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by Watchmaker View Post
I just received an invitation to use part of my remaining tablet funds to redeem a Sailfish X voucher. I imagine all of the tablet backers will be receiving one of these soon.
its a 49,99€ refund?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
its a 49,99€ refund?
They took 49,90€ from my remaining credit, yes. I could choose to donate the rest, or keep it in queue for refund.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Watchmaker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
What wronng with using The officially Android flashtool used by fp2 and other Open Android Phone!?

This is stupid discussion btw since People here often whines about openess and in The same time accept Windows as The only officially Flash your Phone lol...
Nothing. It's just that SONY doesn't have official linux client and I'm sure that they will not make one just for Jolla. Hence, they made it to work with what they have.
After all, 99.999999% of all sattelite receiveres are way more linux than any phone and yet, there's no linux channel editor. At least I never found one.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Watchmaker View Post
They took 49,90€ from my remaining credit, yes. I could choose to donate the rest, or keep it in queue for refund.
We were given option for

Donate all
Purchase 1 (or 2) vouchers and donate rest
Purchase 1 (or 2) vouchers and Rest refunded
Refund fully

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Sorry to be sound stupid but just trying to get my head around all of this.

We need to use EMMA tool to flash Xperia X with a sony android image that is more open than the one installed. After which you use the flash script to flash SFOS onto it?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by clovis86 View Post
Is it just me or the device showed at the end of the YT vidz posted on the jolla blog is way too big for being a simple Xperia X ?

http://reho.st/medium/self/72f042e76...8dff929e39.jpg
I don't think so, the Xperia X is freaking huge. Then again, for the past 6 years I've been a Nokia N9 user, so I'm used to a smaller size. So far I've barely used the Xperia X I bought about a month ago, waiting for this Sailfish thing, but it's damn hard to use it comfortably.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freddo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Paraguay
Originally Posted by meloferz View Post
After I saw this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iSAYeoKNJsI, I realised that when you use the Emma flash tool from Sony, it appear that is flashed with a image that correspond for it market... So... As I have a US Xperia X, do you think if I buy the image (someone from Europe will buy for me), it will detect if my device is not from Europe and won't let me install it? Hope not

Enviado desde mi F5121 mediante Tapatalk
After a logged into my Jolla account, I realised that there is a devices tab, that will show the information about your phone, as I see... The licence for the image will be attached for your Jolla account (as Jolla said), model, IMEI and serial number

Enviado desde mi F5121 mediante Tapatalk

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to meloferz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
What wronng with using The officially Android flashtool used by fp2 and other Open Android Phone!?

This is stupid discussion btw since People here often whines about openess and in The same time accept Windows as The only officially Flash your Phone lol...
I don't understand why you're always so up in arms about this topic.

Whether you flash it with Linux, or Windows, or a washing machine running some UNIX derivative... you are still flashing binary blobs, which are closed software that you have no access to, and have absolutely no control over. What's more, none of the blobs are open sourced or available to public scrutiny.

That said, why are you so intent on repeating the same tired diatribe about openness? If you don't want to flash the software with Windows, don't. But, please, stop filling up these threads with the same sensationalist nonsense.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Sorry to be sound stupid but just trying to get my head around all of this.

We need to use EMMA tool to flash Xperia X with a sony android image that is more open than the one installed. After which you use the flash script to flash SFOS onto it?
There are two flash-modes on the Xperia X:

The (pretty much universal) fastboot mode and a more "powerful" sony-specific flash-mode.

There is a special partition on which Jolla is supposed to put the xperia-x blobs on (closed source drivers, which are unfortunately necessary on all current smartphones).

This special partition is by default not writable in fastboot mode.
So Sony is providing an update that enables this special partition to be written using fastboot.
This update can only officially be installed using emma, the flash-tool by Sony (which works with the sony-specific flash-mode).
After that the blobs can be written to the special partition in fastboot-mode.

That is the official ways of doing things; there are ways around the requirement of emma by writing the speical partition while the phone is booted up or in recovery-mode but these are unofficial for now.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x