Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I fired up my N900 (after charging) and was delighted to see how well the FM radio works! I may not mothball it after the week is over! Love setting the dial by using the arrow buttons!
Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
Well, end of day 1.
I was surprised to see how well the mail application is still working.

Now the negative aspects - the web browser is not working properly, often i see some certificate invalid messages, I tried opera, but that also isn't working well.
I couldn't find a way to make Youtube to work.
No whatsapp (although with a good web browser I could use whatsapp online).
I'll try to find solutions fro the above issues tomorow.

Let's try to keep this device away of planned obsolescence
I also use opera - I have opera-mobile 12.1 installed and most of the time it is working fine. Or I can use fully featured desktop midori from under chrooted kali 1.1.0.

For youtube I use cutetube; it is working fine for me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I was surprised to see how well the mail application is still working.
Indeed. The best mobile email client I have laid my hands on. Miles ahead of at least the stock ones on Android devices and light years ahead of what Sailfish comes with.

...web browser...
...Youtube...
...whatsapp...
I'll try to find solutions fro the above issues tomorow.
The browser is a bummer. Some sites actually work better than on other mobile browsers, simply because the servers do not recognize the browser as mobile and thus you get the proper desktop version. But far too many websites are way too heavy for our little guy. That includes Youtube.

Whatsapp... well, there is a simple solution

Let's try to keep this device away of planned obsolescence
What makes you think the obsolescence was planned? Every device will become obsolescent after a while. The only reason we have not moved on to something more up to date is that there simply isn't anything more up to date to move on to. So we end up using a device that has become obsolescent naturally simply out of a lack of choice.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Indeed. The best mobile email client I have laid my hands on. Miles ahead of at least the stock ones on Android devices and light years ahead of what Sailfish comes with.
Yeah, it's pretty good, most of those nice design decisions are facilitated by the hardware keyboard and resistive touchscreen though. Much easier to edit and select text etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
What makes you think the obsolescence was planned?
I'd say all the blobs that keep us from moving to a random modern GNU/Linux distro while keeping the core functionality are a dead giveaway.

Every device will become obsolescent after a while.
Of course, because the aging hardware won't be able to keep up with the increasing demands of its users.
But that's not the (only) problem with the N900/Maemo. The real problem is, that we can't actually keep Maemo up to date or move on to a newer OS entirely.

Im still running a desktop PC from 1998 on Debian Jessie for fun that has about half the computing power of an N900 at stock frequency.
I'm probably going to retire it once Jessie runs out of support because it only has an i586 CPU which is not supported by Debian's kernel anymore and frankly I'm to lazy to actually learn how to properly run BSD just for fun.
But by that time the PC will be more than 20 years old and I would not have kept it so long had I been stuck with the stock Win98. That's the difference to the N900. I can't just switch to another OS without losing phone functionality, which I consider kind of essential on a - well - smartPHONE.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere

The browser is a bummer. Some sites actually work better than on other mobile browsers, simply because the servers do not recognize the browser as mobile and thus you get the proper desktop version. But far too many websites are way too heavy for our little guy. That includes Youtube.

Whatsapp... well, there is a simple solution

What makes you think the obsolescence was planned? Every device will become obsolescent after a while. The only reason we have not moved on to something more up to date is that there simply isn't anything more up to date to move on to. So we end up using a device that has become obsolescent naturally simply out of a lack of choice.
I think it is planned obsolence when I see some features that used to work are not working anymore
For youtube I installed Cutetube2, Ytube, Zoutube - none are working, some are throwing no videos found, some are saying the video cannot be played.
Cutetube used to work well before, I don't understand why it is not working now.

For Wahtsapp can you provide the simple solution?

The Following User Says Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Cutetube used to work well before, I don't understand why it is not working now.
Because Google frequently changes the youtube API (or just its key).
So someone would have to keep up with these changes and regularly update the client software. Apparently nobody is doing that because there's probably nobody left who wants to babysit the software just because Google likes to randomly throw a spanner in the works now and then.

I don't see this as a case of "planned obsolescence". It's just another example of Google wanting to annoy 3rd party devs away while formally adhering to the FLOSS label for PR reasons.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
For youtube I installed Cutetube2, Ytube, Zoutube - none are working, some are throwing no videos found, some are saying the video cannot be played.
Maybe you should take a look at this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
What makes you think the obsolescence was planned?
I'd say all the blobs that keep us from moving to a random modern GNU/Linux distro
I should have known. The same old ideological arguments.

I don't buy it. The word "planned" implies an intention. You know, planning. As in, "we will keep it updated for exactly 2 years and 7 months, then stop".

If you want to accuse Nokia of planning the N900's obsolescence then you must prove the intention. For all we know, they may have planned to support it for decades to come, but unforeseen circumstances prevented them from doing so. In such a scenario, proprietary components make no difference.

Or, to flip it around, everything under the sun must have a "planned obsolescence" in your world because the maker will stop supporting it at some point. But that does not necessarily imply planning. In most cases it is simply that the world has moved on and it makes little sense for the maker to support an old product.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I think it is planned obsolence when I see some features that used to work are not working anymore
That does not prove anything. See above re planning.

For Wahtsapp can you provide the simple solution?
I'm sure you know what it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: