Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
This may be a little random but i've ben wondering what the limits are for the gpu on the IT. My best guess is that the gpu is someware between 64 bits and 100 bits. What do you think the absolute limits are and what are some of the best graphicical 3D games that are available fo the IT? If you can, post a link to your favourite game. I'd love to try them out.

p.s. My favourite game is quetoo

The GPU is not available to us unfortunately.

But if someone were to release drivers, its limits may be equivelant to the E90

See: http://www.jbenchmark.com/phonedetai...?D=Nokia%20E90 for 3D performance benchmarks.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I really hope someone comes up with some drivers i really want a 3D game that doesn't have choppy and granny graphics and sounds...
I've noticed that most of the games that are available are from the mid to erly 1990's.

nokia is really missing a huge chunk of potential by holding back these drivers. making the n series a better gaming rig would hit another type of market,a market that could really launch the it to another level. never underestimate the power of the gaming scene.

That, and it would give us Clutter!
From what I understand, the graphics processor here is very similar to that in the iPhone, with the IT's unique problem being the LCD controller... although (if I understand this correctly) that issue doesn't impact actual graphics processing power.
(Come on, who wouldn't want to render 3D animations on an Internet Tablet?)

/me hopes "stage 5/5" is support for the fancy but untapped graphics capability; fixing hardware problems in hardware is for wimps. Real men fix everything with software!

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-04-07 at 05:21.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by newf View Post
nokia is really missing a huge chunk of potential by holding back these drivers. making the n series a better gaming rig would hit another type of market,a market that could really launch the it to another level. never underestimate the power of the gaming scene.
Nokia are well aware of the gaming scene they had the ngage 1 (remember the sidetalking craze) and the ngage 2 which was an excellent gaming mobile. They just launched the new ngage store which operates on all their high end n-series phones. The tablet could be a great gaming platform, the Nintendo DS has proved that touchscreen gaming is viable and in plenty of instances desirable.

why wont they release the drivers?

Originally Posted by b-man View Post
I've noticed that most of the games that are available are from the mid to erly 1990's.
The CPU processing powers are roughly at the level of CPUs of that time, and all the graphics are done entirely in software with the CPU.
Software rendering is by definition SLOW (and ugly).

Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
why wont they release the drivers?
I've heard a lot of people say this. Some talk like it's the holy grail.

It's was my understanding that accelerated video drivers for powervr MBX were developed and licensed in linux for 2.4 kernels, and that aside from being closed source, the code is broken in 2.6. (This may have changed by now.) I't be great if Nokia licensed it anyway and updated it for Maemo. But I don't know how much of a performance boost it'll give. Omap 2420 was designed for smaller screens.

Anyway, it won't be open sourced any time soon. An open linux driver would allow reverse engineering on other platforms and kill PowerVR's licensing model. Either Nokia buys it for us, or they don't...

cheers,
kernelpanic

Originally Posted by MoridinBG View Post
The CPU processing powers are roughly at the level of CPUs of that time, and all the graphics are done entirely in software with the CPU.
Software rendering is by definition SLOW (and ugly).
At the level of desktop CPUs of that time; gaming is equivalent to cell-phone games from somewhat later, and if we had a good JavaME implementation packed up in a user-friendly way, a lot of Java phone games from today would probably run quite well. (With pix-doubling from a more typical cell-phone resolution, of course.)