Active Topics

Notices

MusicPD is a server daemon for playing music. You can have a server attached to your stereo system, and clients can connect to the server and see what's playing, add songs, and browse the library of music. Sonata is my favorite mpd client because it has an intuitive interface and supports advanced features like streaming radio stations, playlists, and audioscrobbler.

Main Features:
  • Configure multiple mpd server profiles and easily switch servers
  • Browse music library by file, artist, genre, or search for what you want to listen to
  • Supports playlists, streaming radio stations, and song info with lyrics
  • UI customized for Nokia Tablets including finger-friendly buttons, a built-in menu, and way less right-clicking than the desktop version (although tap-and-hold is supported)

I've hildonized Sonata and packaged it up, so you can now download Sonata from the Extras repository. It's under the Multimedia category.

or, try the Diablo one-click install

Please do not contact the original author of Sonata with bug reports. I will be setting up a Maemo Garage page for this port, and that's the place to report problems or start fixing the last little ui issues.
Attached Images

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ywwg For This Useful Post:
I've been wanting this app for a longtime.
Diablo link not working.
Any help would be greatly appeciated.
edit: got it. maemo extras

Last edited by dan; 2008-08-06 at 23:42.

Thanks, I downloaded it from maemo extras and configured it to connect to my Linux Desktop. Works pretty well, though sometimes it says not authorized or something (probably because I'm directing it to my NTFS directory where my music is stored and Ubuntu has seperate permissions setup for NTFS R/W)).

But it still works. Just odd to get that error (putting in my password for the desktop box will result in it not connecting). Though shouldn't it just be getting the info from the mpd database running on my Linux box anyway? Not the actual directory the music is in? (I have no password setup in the mpdconf).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
sometimes you need to select "disconnect" from the connection menu and then reselect the server you want to connect to. This is a bug in the upstream version of sonata that's been annoying me for a while. It doesn't seem to retry connections very well.

The Following User Says Thank You to ywwg For This Useful Post:
Excellent!

I have one packaging issue/wish:

sonata-maemo has Depends: python2.5-runtime, which pulls ALL python packages and sonata-maemo sure needs only couple of python modules. I hope that for the next release you could list only needed packages to save space on our tiny flash

What's a difference between sonata and sonata-maemo? (why there are two packages)
edit:
sonata-maemo exists only in extras-devel so I guess that sonata is the correct one

Last edited by mikkov; 2008-08-10 at 22:27.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bellshill, UK
Can someone please help me set this up to my Ubuntu & N800? Is there a HowTo anywhere?

Last edited by gerrymoth; 2008-08-11 at 21:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to gerrymoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Thanks for the port it works well, but its not really finger friendly, its more meant for stylus. There are some small things which could be improved shall I post them here or elsewhere?

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Arizona
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Thanks for the port it works well, but its not really finger friendly, its more meant for stylus. There are some small things which could be improved shall I post them here or elsewhere?
You mean some people deliberately touch the screen with their fingers? That explains why the D-pad bugs remain unresolved.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by n800 View Post
You mean some people deliberately touch the screen with their fingers? That explains why the D-pad bugs remain unresolved.
Sure, if you have a good screen protector that doesn't leave finger prints, this is the preferred way to use the tablets. Stylii (is this the correct plural?) are so 90's...
You can blame Canola 1 for being the first real finger app and setting off this revolution.
Now even some parts of the hildon-desktop are finger oriented.

But to stay on topic, I want to say that the Sonata port is really nice. Thanks to your port I got to know Sonata and have it also installed together with mpd on my computer now. The tablet is a nice remote control.

But will there also be a way of streaming music to the tablet via Sonata or will it stay as it is - a remote control?

But will there also be a way of streaming music to the tablet via Sonata or will it stay as it is - a remote control?
I'll take the liberty of answering that, though it's not my project; slap me if I offend.

Yes, it will stay a remote control; that's all mpd supports. However, if it can turn outputs on and off (I haven't seen that it can, but haven't really looked either), you could set up icecast as an output. I suppose you can do that even without that support, but I'm assuming you don't want to simultaneously stream and crank it out the sound card...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

Tags
audio, extras, mpd, musicpd, sonata