Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Well this *is* the competitor's forum afterall.

As you may or may not be aware, Apple has just announced the iPad 2.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/the-ipad-2/

It seems to have a mild spec bump from the previous generation:
  • A5 proc (dual core)
  • HDMI out via special cable ($39)
  • 8.8mm thick
  • rear facing camera
  • front facing camera
  • iOS 4.3

Interestingly, the new iPad *cover* looks to be the most exciting bit!
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/i...a-smart-cover/

Quite innovative. In this man's opinion: I still wouldn't want it; that's what capacitive screens and gorilla glass are for.

Tighter app integration and new upgrades are also a welcome sight!

However, there seems to be a significant point of differentiation amongst 2011 tablets. Android tablets are distinctly more PC-like in their functionality, and iPad is distinctly more iPhone-ish. One could argue that they're further competitors than they once were.

Anyway, discuss.

Out of the blue, my computer illiterate parents are very close to pulling the trigger on an iMac. I'm gonna try and steer them away from that and towards a $499 iPad 2. If they like it, they can get a second one and still spend less than the cheapest iMac.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
well... meh...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to eMiL For This Useful Post:
There really isn't anything on the new one that would make me drop the one I have right now and purchase the new one. I'll wait for screen upgrade that should definitely be present on the 3rd generation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ayle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Out of the blue, my computer illiterate parents are very close to pulling the trigger on an iMac. I'm gonna try and steer them away from that and towards a $499 iPad 2. If they like it, they can get a second one and still spend less than the cheapest iMac.
I think this would be a wise move. It seems that most casual users are more effective with their iPads than with computers. The maintenance free OS certainly helps!

If all I had/knew-how to do was type emails and surf recipes, I would be all over a tablet device (likely iPad).

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ayle View Post
There really isn't anything on the new one that would make me drop the one I have right now and purchase the new one. I'll wait for screen upgrade that should definitely be present on the 3rd generation.
But you would be sick as a pig if you'd just bought one when the new iPad2's got double the power, 9x graphics, front & rear camera's, allowing Facetime, plus HD and is now thinner than an iPhone 4!

You can't knock the progress that Apple have made between ipad 1 & 2. It will be interesting to see if the iPhone 5 makes anything like a similar leap in progress.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
im just going to be an A** and say that i have been fiddling around with the IPAD (1) and i have never been so bored in my life, only cool thing about it is if you where to see a movie than at least you have a big screen............ and thats it............. YAWN......

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
I bought ipad for my mom and grandma. They love it. That is how Apple wins people over by making it IDIOT proof!

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
im just going to be an A** and say that i have been fiddling around with the IPAD (1) and i have never been so bored in my life, only cool thing about it is if you where to see a movie than at least you have a big screen............ and thats it............. YAWN......
Still 15m people who must like it!

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
Who gave the Tag.. Bada Rox ??

The Following User Says Thank You to arora.rohan For This Useful Post:

Tags
apple, xoom > ipad2