Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
...oh no - not again Nokia. With the E90 it took already a couple of firmware updates. And now again:
My Audi car kit (tried it in a Mini and Volvo also) can not access contact information. That means also - you won`t see the callers name but only his number.
This is so bad - Nokia is just missing the chance because of missing features (and actually: works seemless with my Android 2.0 device) we already had in "older"/existing Nokia devices (and I will not start complaining about the odd MfE implementation). Yes - it`s seems like we are all in the Linux world know - should work since 20 years... or: it`s not in the specs.

Last edited by HugoSon; 2009-12-08 at 12:51.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by HugoSon View Post
...oh no - not again Nokia. With the E90 it took already a couple of firmware updates. And now again:
My Audi car kit (tried it in a Mini and Volvo also) can not access contact information. That means also - you won`t see the callers name but only his number.
This is so bad - Nokia is just missing the chance because of missing features (and actually: works seemless with my Android 2.0 device) we already had in "older"/existing Nokia devices (and I will not start complaining about the odd MfE implementation). Yes - it`s seems like we are all in the Linux world know - should work since 20 years... or: it`s not in the specs.
Well sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the published specifications for the N900 clearly states the bluetooth profiles it supports and PBAB isn't one of them listed which is the one I suspect you were looking for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetoo...PBAP.2C_PBA.29

I would like to see more support for car kits but there were lots of posts on this prior to shipping.

As for MFE it works fine with 2007 and apparently 2010 as well. Even the original manufacturers clients have their issues with this tech too.

Just as I expected. In the specification the PBAP (Phonebook Access Profile) was missing, which is needed to be able to communicate with the car kit.

I honestly do not understand why they left out this functionality.

Nokia created the "PUSH N900" contest a while ago with the slogan "Connect the N900 to something you love". Well I applied and said I'll implement the missing PBAP Profile to be able to connect it to my car, but they choose to let other projects win -- which connects the N900 to totally useless crap.

File an enhancement request if you want, maybe it will be implemented someday.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
ohh thats a bad information i use a auto radio with bt kit too and actually my e51 also dont let me sync my phonebook contacts with it. So i tought the n900 would be able to do this..

however if i take another mobile phone wich does have this Protocol it should work couse the sync i wont do that often.
best regards crown77

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
... specifications for the N900 clearly states the bluetooth profiles it supports and PBAB isn't one of them
As I wrote - not in the specs was the answer I was awaiting. Unfortunately those specs were obviously written without the market in mind. Or owner of those car`s are not in the focus group - but they can afford such a device... well.Nokia - think about it.

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
As for MFE it works fine with 2007 and apparently 2010 as well...
Yes - it works. But that`s it. See my post here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=221

Originally Posted by Spynexes View Post
... they choose to let other projects win -- which connects the N900 to totally useless crap.
To bad - really. But hopefully the finns will learn their lesson while losing more and more marketshare. As I wrote - Android 2.0 - PBAP - no problem. iPhone (even the orig one) - no problem.
So if you want to have this feature - N900 is just not your device. You can try getting an old E90 (supporting it) - or change brand.

As I wrote - not in the specs was the answer I was awaiting. Unfortunately those specs were obviously written without the market in mind. Or owner of those car`s are not in the focus group - but they can afford such a device... well.Nokia - think about it.
I would have been happy if they had even bothered to produce a car holder as they did for the N810 and more recently for the N97. At least then we'd be able to leave it safely in the car whilst driving and use shortcuts on desktop.

Ideally voice dialling would be good too for the same reason but I suspect we'll get told to use a universal mount that fits nothing at all!

To bad - really. But hopefully the finns will learn their lesson while losing more and more marketshare. As I wrote - Android 2.0 - PBAP - no problem. iPhone (even the orig one) - no problem.
So if you want to have this feature - N900 is just not your device. You can try getting an old E90 (supporting it) - or change brand.
Well, I still have my old E61 for that if needed but problem is that the iPhone needs ITunes so that's a complete no go before we get onto the other problems. Android's a nice idea but again, doesn't give me anything to improve on my use case above the E61

More information about PBAP here https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6368

It appears that sending contacst as vcards to car kit works in some cases.

Originally Posted by Spynexes View Post
but they choose to let other projects win -- which connects the N900 to totally useless crap.
yeah for real

i honestly wasnt that impressed at all with the Push competition stuff. Who cares about connecting it to an old radio, or a rolodex. thats such useless ****, and people call the iphone's fart apps useless. they just chose gimmicks that would get them attention, and not SMART implementations such as having it connect to the car that would make people say "oh well a phone SHOULD HAVE THAT ANYWAYS."