Notices

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Zürich, Switzerland
Hi.

I run Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop. There are several password tools to store login-information, and other sensible data in an encrypted way on the laptop. Now, I am searching for a solution to synchronize the password data with my N900.
I am looking for a way to enter the password information on my laptop and display / edit / enter it on the N900.

Any ideas?

search for keepassx on both ubuntu and nokia n900.
keepass is also available for windows.

i am using it and it works great eventhough the keepassx on nokia n900 is available on the dev-testing, but its laready working.

I would be nice to have keepassx dialogs be optimized for the tablet, i.e. scrolling controls instead of having text areas schrunk to almost nothing.

Otherwise it is a great tool. I also installed the Windows portable version on Mydocs, accessing the same database, so that I can have my password accessible everywhere in a more convenient way.

Posts: 195 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
I have some notes on my N900 .. is it possible this notes to implement in the Keepassx and secure with a password ?!

Originally Posted by PipoXtreme View Post
I have some notes on my N900 .. is it possible this notes to implement in the Keepassx and secure with a password ?!
KeePass stores passwords. It doesn't password-protect documents. On a desktop, you could do this using TrueCrypt: a portion of your drive would be an encrypted TrueCrypt volume. Without TrueCrypt, it would just be a large file. But TrueCrypt could mount it like a drive (with password and keyfile protection) and you could access its contents.

But on an N900? I don't know if you can get TrueCrypt on an N900.

Last edited by buurmas; 2010-02-24 at 19:04. Reason: clarity

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Zürich, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Sudisk View Post
I would be nice to have keepassx dialogs be optimized for the tablet, i.e. scrolling controls instead of having text areas schrunk to almost nothing.

Otherwise it is a great tool. I also installed the Windows portable version on Mydocs, accessing the same database, so that I can have my password accessible everywhere in a more convenient way.
I installed keepassx and successfully transferred keepassx-passoword-protected files between my laptop running Ubuntu and the N900. You can store passwords and notes on both sides and transfer the data (eg. via ssh). This tool is exactly what I was searching for. However, I do agree: the notes area is too small and the text is too tiny. Currently, keepassx is not usable on the N900 but maybe someone is going to adapt the display-style to make the text readable?

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
I store a lot of info that needs to have encryption and KeePassX just didn't fit my free format needed to store the type of data I had. I started using NoteCase on my N810 & WinXP PC a few years back and it worked well. The notes are organized in a tree format with nested folders, so finding info is pretty quick if you build an organized tree.

Most internet site entries I store are along the lines of:
Site: http://www.foofoofoofoo.com
ID: foofoo
p/w: 42foo

but on the banking sites, I can also store with ease pass-phrases, Q&A's, and other security info. Having a note field allows it to be flexible for anything you need to store.

Since the Maemo 5 PR1.1 release, NoteCase compiled for Diablo works just fine on the N900. It can be found here with builds for Maemo, Linux, Macs, and Windows (runs on Win7 64bit fine too).

Screenshots from my device:

Issues:
1. No two way sync! I only modify records on my N900, then overwrite the file over to my PCs. This is an acceptable use case for me, but maybe not for you?
2. NoteCase in this form is a dead project, but is open source (see download link for src files). The continued development has been made in closed source and the evaluation version for $35 has lots of issues on the N900. With that said, I have yet to find a bug with the last open source version 1.9.8 and have been happy using it since its release.
3. Not optified (/usr/bin) and takes up 1.2MB.
4. Install package is a .deb file, so not newbie install friendly.
5. Not finger friendly. Non issue to pre-N900 Maemo users, but if you're expecting a finger friendly UI, this isn't it. Works perfectly with the stylus!
6. Lots of options and customization available. This is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective. If you really like to tweak settings, you'll love the options available. If you expect it to be pretty "out of the box", you'll be disappointed.
7. No templates or predefined entries. Again, can be good or bad depending on your perspective.

Hopefully this list doesn't scare off anyone from trying this very useful application. Please let me know if I can give any further information.

The Following User Says Thank You to speednut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
I've been using Roboform for roughly 1.5 years, and I have to say it works really good. When they released the online beta, I immediately uploaded all my passcards to their server. Now they have a bookmarklet(a small javascript app for web browsers), which I'm using on both my main computer, school computer as well as N900. Works perfect. It even have 'identities' which can populate fields on a web page automatically(at least the desktop version), and also safe notes.

I don't know about their data policy but I have set a master password that is required to decrypt the passcards so I feel pretty safe.

My 2 cents.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I use passwordmaker myself, for online/computer passwords, I use both the firefox plugin and the standalone javascript version and praying to the almighty devs, whoever who or whom that might be, for a N900 app.

I use this since no password is ever the same, impossible to get my "real" password, so now I have 16+ passwords everywhere on the internets. AND I just have to remember two really strong passwords.

One password for generating passwords (the so called master password)
Together with the "url to the site + username" or "myuser@thehost" for logins.

The second password is something I have for more physical non-changeable passwords. Right now im using pysafe.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
you can also try password safe. I use it on both the tablet and my ubuntu desktop. I think it's even avail for windows as well.