Hi All,

I noticed recently that Qt 4.6 has been released. I read an article somewhere that contained a youtube video, showing the SDK being used in Carbide, but only for use with Symbian S60 5th atm, with Maemo support to come later.

As a windows user I'd love yo be able to learn to program for my (and hopefully everyone elses) N900. From the youtube video, it seemed a really nice and logical way to program using Qt 4.6 and I think I could get into it (having a VBA programming background).

Annoyingly, I can't find the website I was on that showed that youtube video. So I thought I'd come here and ask for advise on where to start? Or if I'm barking up completely the wrong tree and don't really know what I'm on about.

Many thanks,
Dex

[Edit] PS. the video showed the development of a simple "form" with a text control, add button, list box, and clear button, using Qt 4.6 for Symbian S60 5th edition.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dexter1759 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
It would be nice if anyone knows any Qt for beginers resources online that they post here as this could become a popular question and when I have searched, there isn't that much around for beginners, more for dev's moving from another language to QT

So far I have found

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...E601663DAF3A14
http://qt.nokia.com/developer
http://thelins.se/learnqt/tutorial/
http://www.tuxradar.com/learnqt

Hope this helps someone, though I don't think it will help the OP - sorry

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Cheers, thanks for the links. I've done a bit more googling since posting and discovered I don't need carbide at all, Nokia have something called Qt Creator, which would probably be more suitable for beginners (could be wrong). It's available to download from http://qt.nokia.com/developer

Also, I thought Qt, was it's own programming language, but it seems it's C++. So what is Qt? Is it a derivative language? Or some kind of API set that can be called/used by C++? please forgive my ignorance, as mentioned I'm coming from a VBA background which I appreciate is very different from C++.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/faq.html#1-1
What is Qt?

Qt is a multiplatform C++ GUI toolkit. It provides application developers with all the functionality needed to build applications with state-of-the-art graphical user interfaces. Qt is fully object-oriented, easily extensible, and allows true component programming.

Qt is supported on the following platforms:

* MS/Windows -- 95, 98, NT 4.0, ME, 2000, and XP
* Unix/X11 -- Linux, Sun Solaris, HP-UX, Compaq Tru64 UNIX, IBM AIX, SGI IRIX and a wide range of others
* Macintosh -- Mac OS X
* Embedded -- Linux platforms with framebuffer support.

It has become the emerging standard development environment for IT professionals who want to:

* Write (and maintain) a single source-tree.
* Port their applications to multiple platforms with a simple recompilation.
* Internationalize their applications.
* Provide their applications with native look and feel.
* Have their applications run at native speed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dexter1759 View Post
Also, I thought Qt, was it's own programming language, but it seems it's C++. So what is Qt? Is it a derivative language? Or some kind of API set that can be called/used by C++? please forgive my ignorance, as mentioned I'm coming from a VBA background which I appreciate is very different from C++.
Qt is a complete C++ application development framework, which includes a class library and tools for cross-platform development and internationalization.
(from http://qt.nokia.com/developer/faqs/211)

So basically it's c++. The Qt framework on top of c++ just makes things easier.

Edit: I was slow

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Qt is a GUI toolkit just like GTK+, You use various programming languages to write application code and link it up with Qt for the GUI part. Qt creator is an easy IDE for both designing and programming GUI application for many platforms. If you know C++ with addition to VB, you would be right at home.

Hi,

there is a good overview of links about how to learn Qt. To inform you about the latest status of Qt for maemo I would recommend to read the blog-post of Kate about exactly that topic.

Cheers Daniel

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Originally Posted by danielwilms View Post
Hi,

there is a good overview of links about how to learn Qt. To inform you about the latest status of Qt for maemo I would recommend to read the blog-post of Kate about exactly that topic.

Cheers Daniel
I saw that site but...

We assume that you already know C++ and will be using it for Qt development.

There seems little out there for programming noobs..

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

If you are a total beginner, maybe Python would be an easier language to start with. Just google "Python tutorial" (or "C++ tutorial" if you want to jump directly into C++) and start having fun.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjaensch For This Useful Post:
QtCreator is fine for creating Qt code, but the thing missing is easy running configuration for your apps in scratchbox from QtCreator. Right now I think the only way to do this is manually and it can be hard for someone new to all of this.

I too think this is something that those making documentation and tools should concentrate on. I am sure there are many of us that haven't done maemo development before and probably are using windows as well as their main OS. Learning Qt isn't the problem, it is how to setup everything that seems to be the hardest part right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to pillar For This Useful Post: