Active Topics

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
I guess someone will have a generic x86 adaptation pretty soon if there isn't one already (it should be doable by picking up the pieces from MeeGo itself)...
Voilà... http://codex.xiaoka.com/pub/mer/ ^_^

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia
This is awesome! :d

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Those around who might remember Mer
Sadly, I do.
Wish you better luck than the last time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
I'd greatly prefer if the project was going to have closer ties to Debian (i.e. more Maemo than Moblin). They have extensive experience with maintaining a non-commercial mutli-arch distro and know how to persist (18 years!)...unlike most of these mobile Linux projects, sadly.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
N900 was a miracle in the field of experiments & personally i still see load of potential in this great device ,i have been watching meego 1.3 closely and i hope it improves more n more as the day passes ,meego team are our heroes !! mainly stskeeps !!

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Voilà... http://codex.xiaoka.com/pub/mer/ ^_^
Great, have you run this on your Ideapad?

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Great, have you run this on your Ideapad?
Assuming that smoku's work *has* taken a lot from MeeGo 1.3, it should be fine. We had MeeGo CE images for x86 for the Fall release, and they run beautifully on ideapads

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
So, how's this going to go?

IMO, this mobile distro should be as upstream as possible. It should also be kept nice and small as far as base system is concerned: kernel + init + shell + coreutils + misc utils + package manager.

I'd personally like to see an almost Desktop Linux like thing going on: one base OS, with multiple spins (think Ubuntu - Mergnome? KMer? eMer?) and each spin having many different hardware configurations.
(for end-users: choose your board type e.g. RX-51, modify/keep a suggested kernel config, select DE, add apps and you're ready to go)

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
IMO, this mobile distro should be as upstream as possible. It should also be kept nice and small as far as base system is concerned: kernel + init + shell + coreutils + misc utils + package manager.
Actually, kernel is a part of Mer's Hardware Adaptation, not Mer's Core.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
A few thoughts and questions...
Can Meego be classed as a distro in its own right, yet? Or, is it still a derivative of Maemo & Moblin? Apart from targetting small devices is it more similar to Fedora or Debian - might it make sense to partner/align/pool with the more more mature distro that it's most like?

To achieve mass-market penetration of any OS, it's probably necessary for that OS to be pre-loaded on devices. Teaming up with a h/w vendor to have a Meego device seems unlikely at the moment but it may happen. So, in the mean time Meego needs to be really adaptable so it can be used to replace Android/Windows/other and make use of as many h/w features as possible as well as being competitive on the s/w front (e.g. geo-location, OCR, speech recognition, office s/w, games, etc, etc). A lot to expect!

In terms of using the OS, for handsets, there is a real opportunity to offer a nearly full linux distro which, can work really well with a touch-friendly UI (e.g. Cordia) or, when required serve as a slimmed down desktop computer (e.g. EasyDebian); and, as technology advances, the desktop capabilites will be able to be expanded.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:

Tags
déjà vu, for the fjords, just pining, meego is dead, not dead