Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Eiish, I kinda get what joer's raging against, but really, I think it's somewhat misplaced...
I think everything the council's tried to do, has been in the best interests of the community at large.
Perhaps it's been bending proper process somewhat, but in times like this, we do need fluidity/flexibility sometimes.
I don't believe the insinuations in some posts, that there's some kind of conspiracy on their part, at least I hope not.
Why can't we all just "hug it out" and sing "Kumbaya my Lord"???? :-/

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-10-06 at 15:11.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
the argue who is right and who is wrong is madness, here we need to be nt right but we HAVE to be smart!

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
and i mean it for both sides, as i see it as small misunderstanding and few words got out here and there from both sides and then it was just to late to stop so we got here, but maybe it's time to stop and fix(or if someone doesn't care just to pass by and do not pay attention)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
If I understand correctly (from the wiki) the Council voting has started.
If so when to we get our ballots?
I ask this question due to the fact I have a planned holiday for 8 days starting this evening (GMT)
I will be unlikely to get a internet connection while away.
While I understand that the process maybe delayed, when do we find out the new times/dates.

Last election I was very busy at work and had little time to check on TMO.
I noticed I recieved the ballot email the day after the voting closed. However the latest Coding Comp ballots came before the start day.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Only fair? The two are rather different situations. If a person tries to jump in after nomination period closes (regardless of whether you're referring to me or not), then you could make an argument that they're abusing the system (my understanding is that the nominate/vote week gap is there so that everyone has time to contemplate the candidates, so you could argue the late-nominee is depriving the electorate of their ability to contemplate their nomination as well as they could those of the other candidates). If a candidate drops out, the voters are probably not going to have to change much, other than shift in the candidates that they liked less than the one that dropped out.

However, what 'fairness', exactly, does preventing someone from dropping out of a race, produce? It'll probably have a chilling effect on nominations, or acceptances thereof, because now god forbid your circumstances change and you can no longer run. But that will be minor.

The real problem, however, is that it's detrimental to the community AND the candidates. Now if candidate X wishes to withdraw, you have candidates Y and Z who are the only 'real' candidates, only not everyone /sees/ the stated intent of X to drop out of the race - so when time comes to vote, there will be vote leaching by the 'dud' candidate(s) from the 'live' candidate(s). Voters will be voting for candidates that they think are running, but who really have, for all intents and purposes, left.

(And in the extreme case that you have multiple candidates who decide they don't want to run anymore, you could get a council that was voted on as a 5 person council, but which suddenly becomes a 2 person council as soon as elections are over, because 3 of the elected candidates decided to drop out, but officially weren't removable from the list, until all the votes have happened.)
You have a point there. On the other hand there is the danger of people nominating themselves just to buy time and just drop out in the gap week. That is firstly removing importance from the very action of self nomination, which I feel is not something one is allowed to play with, and secondly modifies the nominees behaviour in the following way:
People are busy and have real jobs, many of hem love the community and want to help but feel they don't have enough time so that they would be happy to leave the position to somebody else. Last minute, when there are no other candidates, they jump in because then it's clear that an extra perso will be a benefit however little time he can devote.

That is what I felt and replied that I agree. As for the late candidate reference read it like this: If you didn't allow a late candidacy (which I was in favour of if you read my previous comments) don't allow a late withdrawal.

But I see your points too and to be frank you maybe convinced me. I've got to weigh it again.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
>>to buy time?<< Sorry, could you elaborate on that, I don't understand the meaning. I'd like to learn if there's some point/concern I might have missed - I hoped the rest would already be obvious to everybody without mentalist traceur explaining it again. Maybe I was wrong there as well.

[sidenote] I've been jumped in by ivgalvez last minute, and I accepted since there were no other [edit: only 2 other] candidates at all until then, even while I had very little time to offer. See my original post where I accepted nomination. [edit: probably my big mistake been I didn't consider properly the effects of that *), since if I hadn't accepted that nomination by ivgalvez (which I did under pressure since late in nomination period) then the nomination period got extended anyway, and that's a good thing in my book] Now another candidate with obviously way better qualifications stepped up, and I felt it's only fair to allow community to get real vote of 3 out of 4 candidates, rather than excluding the late candidate and declare votes moot since there are only 3 men standing (one of them at least not really a good council candidate from beginning - me). The rest is history.
/j

*) [edit2] on second thought, iirc & according to woody's announcements there've been already THREE candidates at that point in time (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=76), one of them "got withdrawn" after nomination period closed (due to pending karma recalculation turned out he's not eligible to stand). So basically I got tricked into thinking there'll be a proper vote for council if only I stand for council election (4 candidates! http://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?titl...ns&oldid=49999), and after nomination period closed, the other candidate got withdrawn and I'm not allowed to withdraw? Fine! Sounds absolutely fair¡

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-10-07 at 18:04.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Can I join the race?

I wants to be the hand of the King!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-10-08 at 05:56.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I have to apologize because I nominated joerg_rw for Council. I thought that a Council of two people would not be enough to face the technological issues of the infrastructure transition and that his technical background would be useful for that.

Obviously, I couldn't imagine the damage he would do to the process. I'm truly sorry.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
for sure my SANITY is more important to me than YOU and your weird demonstrations of how you're not getting a single bit of all this. Chill, buddy, council elections are cancelled, they've been before I posted my initial post regarding mentalist and nothing changed since then and probably nothing will change, so all you can lose here is your opportunity to rage against my attempts to bring proper votes to community. I suggest you better ignore this thread since for you it's actually moot.
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Hey, it's a valid statement - we would all hope that that is not the motivation of anyone who runs for a position. It doesn't necessarily mean he's accusing either of you or doing so, or even necessarily implying it's likely. Now, he might be, but I think just his statement by itself doesn't logically necessitate that meaning. (Edit: To be clear, I haven't paid enough attention to the details of what different members feel towards other members, so I don't know or remember if his comment is part of a larger pattern of such remarks)

At any rate, I am a bit confused now: The nomination period for Council and/or Board - are either of those being extended, or..?
Mentalist Traceur, apologies for pulling your response out of context (somewhat), but it's simply too funny ¦-)

well, in fact it is very sad that ppl right now could only care about the procedural aspects of the election of the Council (or the Board, for that matter)
hopefully this tells something about the candidate...