I didn't try to say that it confirms my argument, but stated the fact that Nokia as a company is sinking fast (which the share price proves) and posted what I feel describes some of the reasons for that pretty well what comes to the one model discussed here. A subtle difference perhaps, but thats really besides the point of this thread. A response with a pure fanboy attitude flaming others knowledge without any arguments is just childish.

Hobbyists might be happy to play with features that are not working out of the box, but such features do not generate much sales of the product = money for the company. Not for profit, not for development of the next models. The front camera is (so far) a missed marketing opportunity. Maybe 1.2 fixes it, but the opportunity to create the splash with a new product is gone.

And still I wonder why this was ignored, Skype Video calls from Linux is nothing new.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
I didn't try to say that it confirms my argument, but stated the fact that Nokia as a company is sinking fast (which the share price proves)
you are still doing it so wrong that I can't believe my eyes...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sha Tin, Hong Kong
The front camera is (so far) a missed marketing opportunity. Maybe 1.2 fixes it, but the opportunity to create the splash with a new product is gone.
hmmm, i have to agree. sure, i can wait for these things (as i have done for a lot of my years as a linux user) but the average customer gets frustrated and annoyed. the thing that really grabbed my attention (apart from it being a proper linux phone) was the idea that i could make skype video calls from a phone. i think the masses would have responded even better to that idea than me and i just know when 1.2 *finally* is released and i show people in the pub that feature, they will be wowed.

it could have been a must-have feature from the start and maybe even raised the bar as to what people expect from their phones...

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by oscillik View Post
Google Talk video chat doesn't work yet in the latest released firmware. how're you getting this to work?
Google Talk video chat has been working since day one - I've posted on it several times. Initiating the video section of the call is the issue. I've had a number of video call talks with other members of this forum even over a 3.5G cell connection. It works fine to the N810 and N800 too.

Originally Posted by oscillik View Post
i would like you to quote every single one of those "thousands of mentions" please.
Look at my posts - done it several times myself and there is at least one thread on it - search box is up on the top right.

The other thing? Well, try to open your typical email attachments... On the Nokia Flagship Device and without buying/installing extra software.
N900 is NOT a flagship device - that would be the N97. N900 is merely a damm expensive device.

Oh, so its not a flagship device, just one of the most expensive devices Nokia makes. Agreed.

...But its still absurd that you can't (out of the box)open the most common email attachments with it, you can do that with a many Nokia models that aren't flagship devices either.

Even more so when there has been a freeware app in extras- do not touch- devel (or wherever it was) developed by Nokia since many months.

Customer understanding aka marketing skills seems to be a real problem at Nokia.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 2010-05-11 at 15:59.

i got my phone as an upgrade with t mobile i paid £140 so not to bothered when i see another phone i want i will sell it, had it 3 weeks got to give it a chance,