Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Holy cow!

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Goddamn, there're SO many applebois that I'm afraid of just loading the votes. Apple KB is the peripheral of the year... iMac is the desktop of the year... Proud of N810

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I agree that religious slurs are really unpleasant.

I also agree that the Kindle is a piece of junk compared to the N8x0 tablets, even doing what it does best. I have read thousands of pages of novels on my N800, in all sorts of formats, thanks to evince and FBreader. And because the screen is backlit, I can read under the covers at night without a flashlight! The screen is big, crisp and sharp, and text is a joy to read on it. Also, it fits in my pocket.

The Kindle is a big hunk that seems to do only one thing -- buy propriety-format reading material from Amazon.

I do admit two superiorities. First, it has EVDO-like capabilities. The IT needs something like that too... Nokia has said we're going to get it someday, too. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to buy a little battery-operated, palm-sized bluetooth module (like my Holux M1000 Bluetooth GPS) that could give WiMax capability to existing tablets?

Secondly, the non-backlit e-ink screen and huge size of the Kindle means that you can get a lot more operating time on a single battery charge. Whoopie. I'd rather listen to Internet radio and play Quake 2.

Last edited by qole; 2008-02-22 at 22:36.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I agree that religious slurs are really unpleasant.

I also agree that the Kindle is a piece of junk compared to the N8x0 tablets, even doing what it does best. I have read thousands of pages of novels on my N800, in all sorts of formats, thanks to evince and FBreader. And because the screen is backlit, I can read under the covers at night without a flashlight! The screen is big, crisp and sharp, and text is a joy to read on it. Also, it fits in my pocket.

The Kindle is a big hunk that seems to do only one thing -- buy propriety-format reading material from Amazon.
I think it's only fair to note that it beats the N800 in daylight readability, though I'm not sure how much (if any) better than the N810. By and large, though, the N800 is better, and the N810 blows it away. Some of what may be reflected on there is just "Cool! e-ink!", I guess.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I think it's only fair to note that it beats the N800 in daylight readability
Daylight? Is that when the main light is on in the Big Room?

I guess the Kindle is great for people who like to read and are willing to pay extra to never be bothered with technical details. I know a few people like that. Some of them are good friends of mine, too. They think I'm quite weird. They're right.

Last edited by qole; 2008-02-22 at 22:42.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Well, e-ink screens kicks everybody's asses in daylight readibility. Nothing can be compared. But we're voting for handheld and not for technology. And as a handheld kindle totaly suxx

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Yeah, like it means something when votes are being dredged and people admitting to voting multiple times, sigh... When do the dead start voting too?
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.