Gentlemen,
thank you for many interesting threads.
As N900 seems to become a powerful device I am still concerned about its functionality for business/corporate application. The benchmark seems to be Nokia E-series devices.
I would like to post some important questions, which hopefully will not become blocking points for business oriented usage of N900.

1. What kind of security certificates does N900 support for corporate WLAN access? Does it support “authority certificates” (algorithms like: X.509, SHA1RSA)?
2. Does N900 support advanced WLAN security, like different kinds of EAP (EAP-PEAP, EAP-MSCHAPv2, etc.), different cipher (RSA, 3DES, SHA, etc.)?
3. I understood it support SIP over WLAN, I hope the build in SIP client removes the non-digital characters from phone numbers from contact automatically during the dialing (know problem in some E-series phones).
4. What about the voice control functionality, like speaker independent voice recognition for different functions, e-mail’s reading, etc.?
5. Please don’t repeat same mistake with “period” (.) symbol in regional keyboards layouts (RU, DE) as in Nokia N97, where is NO “period/point” symbol directly (w/o pressing other buttons). If so, please add firmware with “double space” gives a “period”.
6. What is about availability of full featured Office applications (Word, Spreadsheets, PowerPoint, PDF, ZIP, etc.)? E-series functionally is benchmark here.

I understand, that many of these questions are not easy to answer before the devices hit the shops.
I would appreciate your information, if any.
Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to DrTiermann For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by DrTiermann View Post
Gentlemen,
thank you for many interesting threads.
As N900 seems to become a powerful device I am still concerned about its functionality for business/corporate application. The benchmark seems to be Nokia E-series devices.
I would like to post some important questions, which hopefully will not become blocking points for business oriented usage of N900.
1. What kind of security certificates does N900 support for corporate WLAN access? Does it support “authority certificates” (algorithms like: X.509, SHA1RSA)?
N900 will support this as N810 did too, however, the certificates need to be in PEM format.

2. Does N900 support advanced WLAN security, like different kinds of EAP (EAP-PEAP, EAP-MSCHAPv2, etc.), different cipher (RSA, 3DES, SHA, etc.)?
Yes this is supported, but in N810 this did not always work out. There is a bug filed in bugs.maemo.orghttps://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2051, but I think this should be fixed. Actually I have a similar network at my university, so I'll give it a try once I actually get my hands on the N900 first .

3. I understood it support SIP over WLAN, I hope the build in SIP client removes the non-digital characters from phone numbers from contact automatically during the dialing (know problem in some E-series phones).
This shouldn't be a problem, since the contacts on the "desktop" and in the phone book have separate entries for SIP, so by tapping the SIP entry you will automatically call a SIP call via 3G or WLAN, depending on which are you connected to.

4. What about the voice control functionality, like speaker independent voice recognition for different functions, e-mail’s reading, etc.?
Don't know about this. Maybe the community could help out here?

5. Please don’t repeat same mistake with “period” (.) symbol in regional keyboards layouts (RU, DE) as in Nokia N97, where is NO “period/point” symbol directly (w/o pressing other buttons). If so, please add firmware with “double space” gives a “period”.
There is a period symbol directly accessible

6. What is about availability of full featured Office applications (Word, Spreadsheets, PowerPoint, PDF, ZIP, etc.)? E-series functionally is benchmark here.
There is a office suite available with read-only capabilities but the activation is some amount of money.

I understand, that many of these questions are not easy to answer before the devices hit the shops.
I would appreciate your information, if any.
Thanks!
Thank you, its always a pleasure to help.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by locusf View Post
This shouldn't be a problem, since the contacts on the "desktop" and in the phone book have separate entries for SIP, so by tapping the SIP entry you will automatically call a SIP call via 3G or WLAN, depending on which are you connected to.
Do you happen to have first hand knowledge on whether an SIP call will be placed if one only has EDGE access, and no WLAN or 3G? TIA!

Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
Do you happen to have first hand knowledge on whether an SIP call will be placed if one only has EDGE access, and no WLAN or 3G? TIA!
Nope, don't have any knowledge on that. But my guess would be that the bandwidth on EDGE _should_ be enough to handle most codec bitrates with good quality.

The Following User Says Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Any word on tight corporate email integration? Like for lotus notes... my company, for instance runs sybase iAnywhere which has yet to support S60v5.

Also how about popular VPN clients? It would be amazing if I could just run a full version of notes on my device over vpn... I think i Just wet myself...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by DrTiermann View Post
I'm sorry I don't find the source any more, but IIRC, none of this is supported. It was one of the reasons that made me decide I'll pro'ly stick with my S60.

Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
Any word on tight corporate email integration? Like for lotus notes... my company, for instance runs sybase iAnywhere which has yet to support S60v5.

Also how about popular VPN clients? It would be amazing if I could just run a full version of notes on my device over vpn... I think i Just wet myself...
Well vpnc should be portable, if your company uses Cisco VPN.

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
I'm keen to find out if the N900 supports dynamic wep 802.1x. the 810 'supports' eap-tls under wpa but not dynamic wep. also no support for eap-leap. either of these would make the device killer for me. without I'm left unconnected at work with very poor cellular signal :-(
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Nope, don't have any knowledge on that. But my guess would be that the bandwidth on EDGE _should_ be enough to handle most codec bitrates with good quality.
bandwidth yes, latency...probably not so much. At least in my experience...the EDGE connections add at least 500-1000ms latency to all connections versus 3G...which is not a big deal when you are downloading maps from google but make voice calls a bit like international calling 20 years ago through the satellite relays.

But, all of my testing has been done on AT&T...perhaps t-mobile has a better setup. As usual, JMHO, YMMV, IANAL, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Well vpnc should be portable, if your company uses Cisco VPN.
VPNc works nicely on N810, there should be no problem porting it to N900. And so does the VNC.