Notices

My problem with wi-fi switcher, is that when I disable wi-fi it reboots. And still doesn't switch off.. I have to hit/reboot one more time to work properly

i'm curious about this wifi-switcher, but i'm not sure i really anderstand how it's working.
Is it like it's swtching off the wifi connection completly, so the device is not searching for wifi, so i'm saving battery life ?
Like, if i'm outside, knowing that i'll not use wifi during 8h, i can switch it off completly and save battery ?

Last edited by tangs; 2010-02-05 at 14:44.

aaaaand anyone using this app can say if it's really saving the battery (how long ?)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
It unloads the kernel modules for the WiFi chipset. If those modules aren't inserted, how can the device scan for networks?

(No idea about battery life; I tend not to bother measuring those sorts of things.)

saving battery life is not the goal of this app ?

Wifi Switcher is one of the most useful programs i have on my N900! Usually, my phone will barely make it through the day (16 hours).
Now, with Wifi Switcher, it's easily possible. I would say it significantly improves your battery life. I have used this program for 3 or 4 days now and I am amazed.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
I don't know if I should credit wifi-switcher for it but nowadays my N900 is alive ~1.5-~2 days, instead of one day flat as before. It might be the battery picking up capacity though, since my N900 is barely a week old.

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I am trying this app to see if it will improve my battery life. Installed with no problems, by the way.

I would rather see the wifi status as a message in the button instead of taking up room with an additional icon, but otherwise it looks great and is a much needed feature on the phone.

Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
I don't use WLAN. I'm connected to 3.5G. The problem is solved. I started to uninstall all aps and after uninstalling mameo-pc-connectivity the button again appeared and now I can turn it on and off.
This should be fixed in version 0.0.6.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to farmatito For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
i like this app, a great idea, im the type of person who would not always use wifi, but i like the option of disabling wifi if i am travelling alot and dont have the ability to plug in my device to charge it !!

All these apps really add functionality to the N900, allowing us all to use our N900 exactly how we want to use it, not like a certain smartphone by apple.....