Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Like most on these boards, I'm impatient for the next improvement. Most of us new "non-devs" probably seem demanding and unappreciative, as we come from a different background.

I came from the "Communicator world" which was focused on getting work done. My N900 is MUCH better than my E90. I've seen people gripe about how "expensive" their N900 was. I paid more than twice as much (in earlier year dollars) for my E90.

I got a lot for that. Most importantly 3G in California, a nice touch screen, an amazing web browser a modern CPU, and a lot more storage.

My day to day hasn't changed much, I still sorely miss a quick spreadsheet editor, but my main use, podcast consumption, is really nice with gPodder and the Media Player.

Having Easy Debian is way way cool, and Open Office Calc tries to fill in, but it has too much overhead. My Restaurant spreadsheet needs only a few numbers to be entered, but by the time I get Calc open the bill is already paid. :-( When I get a chance I'll try Gnumeric and all the Debian apps there for the download.

I've listed out the things I miss from my E90 - no, there's no way I'd go back, but I got spoiled :-)

If these small things were "fixed" I'd be in handset heaven....
################################################## ##
E90 Functionality I'm missing==============================

Quickly edit .xls files <<----- My main usage!!!
Edit .doc files
View .ppt files
...Open Office Calc is too slow to open.
...Open Office Calc is NOT finger friendly. (or aging eye friendly)
Personalized Ringtones
Caller's Name "spoken" during Ring
"Call Log Export" {->.csv including duration of call}
Pin Documents on Desktop {open document, not open program}
File browser needs to show/edit extensions
Calendar: Events to minute: E.g. ISS visible 19:37 - 19:42
Games:
Snake
BlackJack
"Vibrator"

================================================== ==

I'm WAY too timid to venture into extras-testing or extras-dev, (aside from pelota-widget :-} ) but it seems there are a lot of exiting titles in there and this Community is AWESOME. I have hope these "deficiencies" will be addressed. Is anyone working on any of these items?

Thanks,

=================================
EDIT:
Gnumeric (Extras-Dev) matches what I had on the E90. That's the biggest missing piece. Still a lot to go, but it's in a good direction....

I see a LOT of Promising titles in Dev and Testing.. It's hard to wait....

Last edited by RWFarley; 2010-06-20 at 03:06.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
I have also come from the E90 (and the N97) so I can relate. It's been 6 months now and I have not looked back.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I've had the whole Communicator series, starting from the 9000, and must say that my N900 does almost it all. I encourage you to enable extras-devel and extra-testing, since the apps there are nowadays quite polished, and reflashing your device isn't that shocking experience if something goes wrong, since the /home tree with your data and configs gets retained.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
Originally Posted by RWFarley View Post
Edit .doc files
For these two use cases, gnumeric and abiword. Try them. Not the easy debian versions, the maemo5 versions!

I miss the Voice Dialing from Blueooth that normally works using E90.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
The main thing I miss from my E90 is the damn keyboard. Woe is shoddy cramped 3-line keyboards, Nokia need to follow the E90-style and size keyboard on more devices, imo.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by nidO View Post
Nokia need to follow the E90-style and size keyboard on more devices, imo
The one thing I don't miss is attendants and whoever off the street starting up conversations because they think you are using some retro phone (cos of its overall size and shape...)

Prob worse for me cos I had just started my twenties and it was important to look cool

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-16 at 13:28.

Originally Posted by Patola View Post
For these two use cases, gnumeric and abiword. Try them. Not the easy debian versions, the maemo5 versions!
Thanks for the tips, but your answer left me a bit confused:
What is cases and where can I find it? Or do I just misunderstand your post?
Gnumeric... don't I need the Gnome desktop for that?

Is there any way to set up these (or any other programs) so that you can actually open an attachment directly from your email (instead of saving it to the MMC/Phone first?

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Docs To Go trial is on the N900. Read only. but works very well. Buy it for $5-6. The Premium version of Docs To Go with editing has been announced but is not yet available. Should be out very soon and makes a nice mini-office suite.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Originally Posted by nidO View Post
The main thing I miss from my E90 is the damn keyboard. Woe is shoddy cramped 3-line keyboards, Nokia need to follow the E90-style and size keyboard on more devices, imo.
Actually, having been forced back to my e90 while I wait for my n900's usb port to be fixed, I must say that I dont find it that much better than the n900's any more...

Of the list from the OP:
Edit .doc files
Hell yeah. I have been wary of installing Abiword and Gnumeric as they haven't made it to extras. Can anyone comment on their stability? Have they been optified? Indeed, have they been packaged?

View .ppt files
Personalized Ringtones
Would be nice, but I didn't bother that much with either on the e90; the former would be better on the n900s screen I suspect.

Caller's Name "spoken" during Ring
True dat. Very handy feature.

"Call Log Export" {->.csv including duration of call}
Pin Documents on Desktop {open document, not open program}
File browser needs to show/edit extensions
All get "meh" from me, but each to their own.

Calendar: Events to minute: E.g. ISS visible 19:37 - 19:42
Again, hell yeah. The calendar backend can handle it, the UI is just foolishly crippled.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Tags
e90 flagship