Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
I think he was referring to the version of meego adapted for N900.
Possibly, but the link provided was to the source of a package that's specific to the N950 and N9. There's a separate package for the N900.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
whoops. xprot settings appear missing in n900 repo, however they are present in var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihf.parametres on our device for left/right. they are not in all of our settings, haven't checked them all.

could be usable IF xprot module is compatible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
By using auto-hiding panels of quite big size (with adequately sized icons), you can create UI that works finger-friendly, and still leaves 799x479 pixels* for applications.
I know. I've tried that in ED some time ago but for some reason I don't like it.
There is some info that I always want to see (time, battery status) . And my screen edges all behave differently, i.e. the pressure point where lxpanel shows up is not the same for all four edges which irritates me.
I also tried to create a centered static panel on top where windows don't dock. The idea was to have this panel cover most of the window decoration but grant access to the window control buttons. But this setup was kind of buggy (not always on top, windows sometimes docked, some weird lxmenu behavior).

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
You might be interested to know (if you don't already know it) that there is an EFL UI for ConnMan called EConnMan but you would need to build it as hasn't yet been packaged for Debian.
Thanks! I've heard of ConnMan but up to now I didn't even know what it was. It sure sounds interesting.

I have tried out few browsers. I installed Iceweasel and as you might expect it ate a lot of the memory but other than that there were no real issues and I was able to install some of my favourite add-ons. It's actually quite responsive for single tab/window browsing if you don't have a lot of other stuff running. It runs much better than it does in Maemo under Easy Debian (from what I remember).
I have Iceweasel installed on my Cubieboard2, which - in terms of performance - is probably the closest to a N900 I have, but it's still magnitudes faster. But I rarely use it since it's already pretty slow.
Also I'm used to having multiple tabs opened (4-10).

I ran into another bug when I tried it in that there was nowhere to enter a URL!
I think I remember that one has to do with the limited screen width of the N900. I believe Midori is designed for at least 1024 Pixels. I think you can bring back the urlbar by freeing up some space in the panel, most obviously by removing the search engine bar.

If you want a really lightweight browser then I recommend links2. It does display graphics, just don't expect anything fancy like JavaScript.
My problem is that I need Javascript for some sites. Otherwise I'd use links2, dillo, hv3, surf - you name it.

This might also be a good option.
Afair Epiphany's performance was similar to Firefox 2, but then again I haven't used it since FF2 was up to date.

On another note, I really like the UI of Ubuntu's webbrowser-app [1]. The two problems I see are the modified libqt5 dependencies that may make it hard to port it to Debian and the fact that you need multi-touch for some functionality (e.g. resizing contents).

I was thinking of something similar. It should be possible to detect whether there's something plugged into the audio jack and automatically switch to the appropriate profile. I'm not actually sure what the critical frequency is. I would very much appreciate it if someone can confirm it.
I believe joergrw has made a statement about that (or included a link to such a statement) in the huge Neo900 thread, but I don't remember where.

Hopefully the Neo900 will have protection at hardware level.
+1

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/webbrowser-app

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I also tried to create a centered static panel on top where windows don't dock. The idea was to have this panel cover most of the window decoration but grant access to the window control buttons. But this setup was kind of buggy (not always on top, windows sometimes docked, some weird lxmenu behavior).
I had such problems with Wheezy on desktop (and I still have them in Easy Debian, for obvious reasons), but with jessie (on desktop) they're gone.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Jessie is scheduled to freeze on 5th of november, so the weekend after that I'll try to upgrade ED and then I'll try again.

I played a bit with a Jessie VM and E17/LXDE.

In E17 I thought autohiding the shelf of the mobile theme might be useful to gain some additional space.
But this shelf can't be hidden since it's no regular shelf. Instead it's a special module called "illume-home". So I disabled the illume-home module alltogether and created a regular shelf that autohides in its place.
Surely no revolutionary change, but maybe a nice side note.

btw: Does someone know how to configure which icons should be shown on the E17 desktop (other than wreaking havoc in /usr/share/applications)?

As for LXDE I tried Estel's suggestions and found my first result quite pleasing (for someone who often earned facepalms from his art teacher). - screenshot attached
The top panel is autohiding, so is the (currently invisible) bottom panel that contains a task bar.
The ugly [X] in the upper right corner is a starter wmctrl to close the currently active window (yes, heavily "inspired" by bodhi-close), making the window's title bar pretty much useless.
The browser is qupzilla with the window bar disabled while the url and menu bars are temporarilly hidden underneath the lxpanel.

@Estel (or someone else who knows):
Is there a way in openbox to undecorate (disable title bar) all windows by default and permanently?

This is the wmctrl starter (I simply copied and adapted the leafpad file, which explains the quite pointless "Categories" line):
Code:
# cat /usr/share/applications/wmctrl_close.desktop 
[Desktop Entry]
Keywords=editor
Name=wmctrl_close
Exec=wmctrl -c :ACTIVE:
Icon=editdelete
Terminal=false
Type=Application
MimeType=text/plain
Categories=GTK;Utility;TextEditor;
At the moment I'm quite torn between E17 and LXDE. E17 sure has the looks and I like it how you can adjust the delay before a shelf autohides. On the other hand LXDE has the stability (E17's file manager always crashes when I try to open a file) and seems to be a little bit faster.
Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Not sure this is the correct thread, but anyway:

If someone takes the job of helping me a bit (not sure what kind of help I'll need , but I know nothing about PA) with the stuff on https://gitorious.org/maemo-multimed...f262a7ebe413c: I will (try to) RE the missing parts (xprot, xprot-ambient-temp and eq)

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
@Estel (or someone else who knows):
Is there a way in openbox to undecorate (disable title bar) all windows by default and permanently?
Sure, you edit the ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml file, and in the <applications> section, you add something like this:

Code:
    <application name="*" class="*">
      <decor>no</decor>
      <position>
        <x>0</x>
        <y>0</y>
      </position>
    </application>
Notice, that you may also modify other things, like position, window size... The <applications> section have a manual equivalent at the beginning of the section, commented out.

Going back to your question, the relevant part of said comment-manual:

Code:
  # the name or the class can be set, or both. this is used to match
  # windows when they appear. role can optionally be set as well, to
  # further restrict your matches.

# the name, class, and role use simple wildcard matching such as those
  # used by a shell. you can use * to match any characters and ? to match
  # any single character.

# when multiple rules match a window, they will all be applied, in the
  # order that they appear in this list
Openbox is a hell of a configurable and flexible window manager. In practice, you can make it look and do almost everything you want - I don't think any other WM comes close. sometimes, it require some digging, though. But, if you like, you can even mimic the other bloatware windows managers with it (with the same resources wastage )

I would say "go for LXDE", for the performance and flexibility reasons. Not to mention that many things from other good desktop environments (MATE) works out of the box with LXDE components (or require just editing out the godamned line "OnlyShownIn" from their .desktop files).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Sure, you edit the ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml file, and in the <applications> section, you add something like this:
Perfect!
This gives me what I was looking for:
Code:
<application name="*" class="*">
      <decor>no</decor>
      <maximize>yes</maximize>
</application>

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Not sure this is the correct thread, but anyway:

If someone takes the job of helping me a bit (not sure what kind of help I'll need , but I know nothing about PA) with the stuff on https://gitorious.org/maemo-multimed...f262a7ebe413c: I will (try to) RE the missing parts (xprot, xprot-ambient-temp and eq)
funny enough, i spent some of yesterday looking into it. as a warning, 1st time attempting RE, so i may be way off here.

i was expecting to find xprot settings string in strings section of disassembly for use with string comparison to identify sections within config file. so far no luck in -common or -music.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, debian900, devuan, maemo 7