That sounds a lot like what I have been seeing,
do you have any kind of reference that describes
what is going on there ?
Back when I was researching this, this was the best that I came up with:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...2&postcount=38

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Another related problem is how it wants to call back to the google mothership before it even allows you to use wifi. There are situations where I just want the device to have local network access via a wifi access point that is not connected to the internet. But ****ing google mandates that the device conducts a "connectivity" test to ensure it can access the internet before it allows you to use the wifi connection (not strictly true - you can use it for a few seconds whilst it conducts the "connectivity" test and when it fails then it cuts off access).
[OT]
Sounds well known.
Possibly the way Nokia would have become also?
[even that behaviour on MeeGo/Symbian was 'just for user convenience': check internet accessibility, open a login/gateway/proxy landing page; else set connection from automatic use to manual]
[/OT]

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What we need is a change of paradigm. Developing a product is NOT a spare time job. As long as it stays one, all we will ever get is spare time results. We need someone, preferably a whole team, working full time.
I really appreciate such statement. What I am trying to achieve is a commercial product which should have off the shelf quality and can be distributed worldwide.

After some careful consideration and evaluation I decided to execute this idea in another slightly different method:

Instead of building a complete slider phone, I will do a Slider Keyboard Mod for the Moto Z series.

The advantages are:

- Saving costs for building hardware. And eventually saving cost for the user.

Moto Z Play itself is a great device: Good performance, adequate hardware, nice build and camera and incredible battery life. The BL can be unlocked and is affordable. So the community can develop based on the hardware. And eventually Nemo or SFOS can also be ported.

- Shorter R&D time (Much shorter)

- Less risk. Overall much easier process.

- The successor to TOHKBD, with the support of a professional design/manufacturing team and an overall reliable platform (Moto Mods)

I have already been chosen as a finalist in Motorola’s “Transform the Smartphone” Challenge and have received their development kit and a free Moto Z.

The R&D design will be started shortly after the Chinese New Year holiday and I will post progress irregularly in here. The plan is to have a five-row keyboard slider mod with some extra battery. More info will be shared later. (I'm avoiding using "soon"...)

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
I need some quick feedback from Maemians:

Trying to decide the keyboard layout based on TOHKBD (really love the design) But I won't keep it same as for obvious reasons.

What is the facts that we like or we dislike on the layout of TOHKBD? (Layout only)

Which specific point that we need to take into consideration?

The suggestions here will be affecting the final product.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I need some quick feedback from Maemians:

Trying to decide the keyboard layout based on TOHKBD (really love the design) But I won't keep it same as for obvious reasons.

What is the facts that we like or we dislike on the layout of TOHKBD? (Layout only)

Which specific point that we need to take into consideration?
I take it you mean layout in general, not just the key positions itself (which were quite good, not much else to say about that).

Here's some things I liked:
- multiple keyboard layouts despite of small production run
- LED backlight
- could be used left or right
- it looked a bit like the n900 keyboard, the best mobile keyboard I've owned.
- While not great in every aspect, magnets were a good way of working around a lot of problems.

About the only thing I didn't like about it was the amount of pressure required to press the keys.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by velox View Post
I take it you mean layout in general, not just the key positions itself (which were quite good, not much else to say about that).

Here's some things I liked:
- multiple keyboard layouts despite of small production run
- LED backlight
- could be used left or right
- it looked a bit like the n900 keyboard, the best mobile keyboard I've owned.
- While not great in every aspect, magnets were a good way of working around a lot of problems.

About the only thing I didn't like about it was the amount of pressure required to press the keys.
I am just asking the key position... In general.

Regarding your points:
- Multiple keyboard will be available if the initial English keyboard is successful. I will need to save cost at early stage unfortunately.
- LED Backlight will be there
- I plan to put at lease navigation arrows on the left, so can be used as a game pad
- the advantage for this device is we have 5.5 inch in physical, get a bit more space to play with. N900 keyboard was good at its time, but only 3 rows and a bit compressed.

For your last point, it's the depth of the keypad. I have stated many time that this will be a commercial good quality product, the ease of type and comfortness is taked in to consideration.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
(I'm avoiding using "soon"...)
Maybe use "next" then

But a little heretic question, how likely from your estimate is it to not have android as the only option for a long time after delivery? I do not see Moto Z listed on the libhybris adaption list for now.
Nevertheless count me in, best of luck for your effort!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
i wonder with a 5.5" device that a split keyboard might be the way to go, even with TOHKBD i felt that the keyboard was a little too big to get to the middle keys whilst holding it.

That said ive never used a TOHKBD for more than a few seconds.

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Maybe use "next" then

But a little heretic question, how likely from your estimate is it to not have android as the only option for a long time after delivery? I do not see Moto Z listed on the libhybris adaption list for now.
Nevertheless count me in, best of luck for your effort!
A porter needs to buy a Moto Z and start porting, all the prerequisites are handled at this stage i think

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Time to show some real work. To prove I'm not just talking here.

Sorry for so much watermark!! I don't want some bloggers steal my work here at least. It's still at very early stage. Let's keep it Maemian!

This is something that will look like in the future.

Keyboard layout is based on TOHKBD and will be changed!

I'm working on the keyboard layout now. And hence suggestions needed.
Attached Images

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
That looks great! I also agree with r0kk3rz that a split keyboard might be worth looking into.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love