Poll: I have a reboot loop:
Poll Options
I have a reboot loop:

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by heizer View Post
Perhaps another hint: did you guys have bash2 installed or updated soon? I found this:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ht=update+boot
thread and it seems it is about the same problem. The only connection is that i have bash2 at least updated bevor the reboot loop.

Bash2 Installed: No.

Abel.

Originally Posted by AbelMN View Post
Bash2 Installed: No.

Abel.
Me neither. In my case I suspect the screen rotate hack is the cause, at least the reboots started after I installed that.

By the way that 25% - 30% that I see in the poll is quite a percentage. Although it could be that people who have reboot loops feel more inclined to take part in the poll, and that the ITT crowd does more crazy experiminental stuff with their tablets than the average tablet owner.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-08-13 at 21:15.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that the 25-30% that you see is the kind you get if you're looking for a sensationalistic result, since you're adding in 13% for "less than once a month," which could mean "yeah, I had a reboot loop a year or so ago".

Try polling people and asking them if they have ever had racist thoughts, and then put it under a headline "most people admit that they are racists!!"

Not that I am accusing anyone here of doing that sort of thing, just saying that these results are easily exaggerated. I think it would be more scientific to add the 13% to the 71% who say they never have had troubles, since there is no proof that people who have reboot loops less than once a month -- like once ever x years? -- have had cronic reboot problems? How about this headline: "84% of Tablet Users Say They Are Not Experiencing Serious Reboot Problems!!" That's closer to the truth.

Although, I must admit, even that percentage of problems is high, probably because not as many users without reboot problems are going to participate in this kind of poll.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I think that the 25-30% that you see is the kind you get if you're looking for a sensationalistic result, since you're adding in 13% for "less than once a month," which could mean "yeah, I had a reboot loop a year or so ago".
Diablo has been out for 2 months, apart from the small beta tester group. So that means 'in the last few months'. Of course this poll has nothing to do with science.

Try polling people and asking them if they have ever had racist thoughts, and then put it under a headline "most people admit that they are racists!!"
I'm not saying '30% of tablet users have reboot loops'. And I think most ITT visitors are intelligent enough not to interpret it that way. Even if they do ... so be it.

Although, I must admit, even that percentage of problems is high, probably because not as many users without reboot problems are going to participate in this kind of poll.
Well..that is basically what I said.

I just got my n810 yesterday, did the update this morning and then a downloaded update. Since then it has looped 4 times. I have no idea why as it is a clean install, no other apps or anything but it is really annoying. Middle of a majong game, surfing internet, even once while trying to sync to my computer using bluetooth.

I'm going to have to go through the steps in the early mentioned wiki link to get the dump of what's happening.

I've updated the original post with some pointers for tracking down the cause of a reboot loop.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I got my 770 in early 2006, now have an N800 running Diablo, and I can't remember having had a reboot loop. Ever. I wasn't aware this is such a common problem at all. Seems I'm lucky this time. Or old enough to easily forget (I should search this forum for my own posts...).

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Likewise, nary a reboot loop here.

Tim

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ San Miguel de Allende, MX
Chronic with my n800. Basically, it just rarely boots up! It seemed like it was most stable with the release just prior to Diablo, though recently it DID run Diablo for a few days. It then had to reboot, and has not come back, despite reflashing (with pre-diablo).
I even got frustrated enough to disassemble it using Thoughtfix's helpful instructions (yes, it's out of warranty), hoping to find something obvious amiss, but it seems I'd need a microscope and X-rays to find that!
The only H/W problem I'm aware of with the device is a tendency to crackle when you touch the screen, but this sometimes disappears with booting, and I'm not convinced it's loop-related.
Really puzzled and frustrated, since I really love the little thing when it's functioning.
Perhaps I'll play with that USB-Linux boot menu/monitoring thing, but I think installing that might involve a couple of boots...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by heizer View Post
Perhaps another hint: did you guys have bash2 installed or updated soon? I found this:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ht=update+boot
thread and it seems it is about the same problem. The only connection is that i have bash2 at least updated bevor the reboot loop.
Did you update your root shell to Bash2?

Tags
reboot loops