Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
apt would be replaced by yum.
Why? apt can run against modern rpm repositories. Again: Please get some clue before ranting, it might make you look smarter.

The Following User Says Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Ireland
some clarity nokia, please.

The N900 has been out a month where i live and how can i recomend it now?

even apple wait longer before kicking the users in the back.

Not everyone who bought the N900 is a linux head. we dont all know the difference between types of hats and enemies from zelda.

What we did know is that this was the first great device from nokia in quite a while, with real massmarket possibilities (yes thats a good thing)

No one expects phones to last forever but c'mon ommonious annoucements already.
(nothing they've said reads like meego/maemo6 will be on n900)
Most users are on the start of contracts....long ones

Clarity is needed and its the least people deserve.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GotGlint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by v13 View Post
I also believe that that decision was correct. But having a mobile (base) distribution seems to be well in Redhat's interests. It's a case where they can sell support to world's biggest companies by just doing what they are currently doing. There is no end-user interaction in mobile OS market, nor such a diversity and good-support is heavily needed. Redhat can support both base system and kernel/hardware and is sure the best (and perhaps the only) company that can do that.
Is it so hard to understand, that using RPM as the package format has *NOTHING* to do with Red Hat at all?

Red Hat is not engaged into MeeGo - they are just using the RPM, as do SuSE, Mandriva and a whole slew of other distributions. But that does NOT mean that Red Hat is involved in *ANY* of them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by range View Post
Is it so hard to understand, that using RPM as the package format has *NOTHING* to do with Red Hat at all?

Red Hat is not engaged into MeeGo - they are just using the RPM, as do SuSE, Mandriva and a whole slew of other distributions. But that does NOT mean that Red Hat is involved in *ANY* of them.
RedHat *IS* one of the active developers of RPM so it's not 'just using'. Their influence on it is sometimes overblown, but saying they have nothing to do with it is even more wrong.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
This morning I had a discussion with my dog about peeing quicker than he wanted to do.

See. That was as valuable as your post above.
where is the problem with a conversation, which convinced me, that it's a good thing happening at the moment?
you don't have to share my opinion, you don't have discuss with my cat, so where is your problem?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam

Eugh it's called the Redhat Package Manager for crying out loud.

I understand what your trying to say, but wording could be better. RPM obviously has _something_ to do with Redhat. Though any distribution build with RPM can be complete different from the distribution RedHat.

And since Moblin is Fedora there will be some relationship to eachother. Centos != Redhat but it's obvious they have some relationship to eachother. Ubuntu != Debian, but it's obvious they
have a relationship.

Now to semi-quote GeneralAntilles, Maemo went so far from there Debian roots that it actually became a strain on Maemo. So a better and tighter relationship to the upstream distribution will be a good thing.

On other note; if Meego will be truly Open source and in the spirit of Open source, it should be a lot easier to create a Debian derivative of it, then it was in the past to create 'forks' of Maemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trbs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Now the quest for a mascot become much easier. Someone design a cute version of HP Lovecraft's Mi-Go, quick!

Seriously, I would love that

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
RedHat *IS* one of the active developers of RPM so it's not 'just using'. Their influence on it is sometimes overblown, but saying they have nothing to do with it is even more wrong.
Red Hat his not involved in PCLinuxOS, SuSE or Mandriva. Yet all these Distributions use RPM.

The Following User Says Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
Just asked them a question:
@kopte3 Q: what will happen to maemo community? only name changing? do you intend to close the maemo.org? tnx #NokiaMWC
answer:
@kopte3 A: We invite the Maemo and Moblin community to join forces in the MeeGo community #NokiaMWC
Well.. A political answer.. but now we know we're not getting a precise one for now..

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Red Hat his not involved in PCLinuxOS, SuSE or Mandriva. Yet all these Distributions use RPM.
What I'm saying is that, for example, the maintainer of RPM is a fulltime RedHat employee. How much that influences other distros, I wouldn't know but it certainly does not fall in the 'has nothing to do with it' category.

To finish this OT part, for me, the non-technical problem with RPM was that it nearly drowned itself around 2005-2006 when the original RPM maintainer left RedHat and essentially forked RPM (or, RedHat and some others have forked, depending on where you stand). At that point, things looked fairly grim for RPM, but mid-2007 Redhat et al gathered some political courage and 'took back' RPM, re-started development. RPM 4.6 released in 2009 (and it's followups 4.7, 4.8) are a serious departure from the hacked-to-death 4.4 series in many ways (boasting better ARM support, LZMA, new bindings, much faster dependency/lookup operations, etc).

Have we beaten this RPM/DEB horse to the death now ?

A bit more detail on the RPM fork story for those interested: http://lwn.net/Articles/196523/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war