Can i download/subscribe to, save and play podcasts on the 770?

/Jon

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by jon_lingard
Can i download/subscribe to, save and play podcasts on the 770?

/Jon
Please define "podcast".

I use the 770 to play podcasts regularly, and I've grown quite fond of podcasting thanks to it. I tend to get podcasts via opera alone, I haven't used it with the rss reader, I can remember the OS2005 feed reader was not that good, maybe then I just desisted to try getting my podcast that way. Thinking of it, maybe I'll try again and subscribe to "buzz out loud" and "twit".

Ok, just in case somebody else doesn't know what a podcast is, it's just a radio program that you can download in your computer and transfer to listen to it in your MP3 player(or with the N770 you just skip the transfering part), typically an iPOD, so that's why most people call them podcast, although netcast is gaining some momentum.

Cheers,

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by joq100
I use the 770 to play podcasts regularly, and I've grown quite fond of podcasting thanks to it. I tend to get podcasts via opera alone, I haven't used it with the rss reader, I can remember the OS2005 feed reader was not that good, maybe then I just desisted to try getting my podcast that way. Thinking of it, maybe I'll try again and subscribe to "buzz out loud" and "twit".

Ok, just in case somebody else doesn't know what a podcast is, it's just a radio program that you can download in your computer and transfer to listen to it in your MP3 player(or with the N770 you just skip the transfering part), typically an iPOD, so that's why most people call them podcast, although netcast is gaining some momentum.

Cheers,
So, basically the question is: Can the 770 play MP3 files?

Doesn't anyone read product specs anymore?

i'l ignore the pathetic comment.
Thanks for that Joq, ta.
Jon.

AFAIK, you cannot get casts via the 770's RSS software. This is sometimes frustrating as not all casts have sites, some are just via RSS.

Let me get in a plug...

http://signal.serenityfirefly.com/

It can d/l direct to the 770! Shiny!

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
A (not so easy) workaround is to use slimserver (http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html). It will link to any podcast you tell it to. From slimserver you can then either stream the podcast or download it to your 770 via opera or other browser.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Or alternatively, you could subscribe to various AV podcasts with their alternative format "RSS feeds" on a PC using a UPnP Server such as TVersity and then stream the desired podcast at will to the Nokia 770 in a preferred format using Media Streamer or Opera browser and mplayer. (This option allows the feeds to be subscribed to and listened/watched by other UPnP devices etc around the home as well)

(When Video is directly supported via Media Streamer on the Nokia 770 it will be easier and more intuitive with a Media server such as TVersity)

TVersity
TVersity Forum

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Seattle, WA
Anyone else using "bashpodder"?

It's a command line app. It needs wget and bash installed. It's not sexy, but it's small, simple, and easily adapted. I like it.

http://linc.homeunix.org:8080/scripts/bashpodder/

how about rss feeds with enclosures