Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
So, i kind of got cm13 working on our Nexus5...

So, many things to figure out, but it looks promising :-)

I'll keep you updated.
Excellent news, @mautz! I'm curious and haven't looked into it much, does cm13 use a 3.10.x kernel, and as such could it run tickless - theoretically? I look forward to helping you any way I can. If you need tests run or logs or anything of the sort, I'd be glad to help out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
Excellent news, @mautz! I'm curious and haven't looked into it much, does cm13 use a 3.10.x kernel, and as such could it run tickless - theoretically? I look forward to helping you any way I can. If you need tests run or logs or anything of the sort, I'd be glad to help out.
No it's the same old 3.4 kernel. The only 3.10 kernel that you can boot with the Nexus 5 is this kernel but not much of it works, and the work on it seems to have been abandoned.

The Following User Says Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
guys, simple question: to use another kernel instead the original one, i have to reinstall sailfish right? how I install the different kernel and what's the best for battery saving? I'm tired of this battery drain.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
guys, simple question: to use another kernel instead the original one, i have to reinstall sailfish right? how I install the different kernel and what's the best for battery saving? I'm tired of this battery drain.
No, you just flash the kernel zip in TWRP. I use minimec's 100Hz version found here.

Your battery savings will depend on how far you can undervolt your SoC, which depends on its PVS binning, age, etc.

I use a minimum frequency of 300MHz (as it seems to give me less CPU usage than 249MHz), maximum frequency of 1.5GHz, msm-mpdecision hotplug driver, conservative governor, noop I/O scheduler, 320MHz on GPU. My voltage table is custom, expect lipstick crashes and reboots. You should use the standard table and mine as a reference. Work down 10mV at a time for the lowest frequency until it's unstable, then ramp it up 5mV for longevity. Put some load on the device (moving around through menus works), and watch the load state with something like AIDA64. Watch which frequencies the device enters, for example 422Mhz or 652MHz, and adjust their voltages a little at a time as you did before. This is time consuming, but it is the only guaranteed way you'll undervolt and save some battery.

My settings are as follows, I only lose ~8-10% over 12 hours with screen off. Special thanks to minimec for bits of his shell script and 100Hz/swap-enabled recompile, and mautz for the kernel work and integrating all these features:

Code:
# Min/Max Frequency
/bin/echo "1574000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
/bin/echo "300000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

# msm_mpdecision
/bin/echo "1" > /sys/kernel/msm_mpdecision/conf/enabled

# voltage table (undervolt) (kernel v7 with new low frequencies)
/bin/echo "620 620 620 630 665 735 750 760 770 780 800 810 855 870 900 950 1010" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/UV_mV_table

# simple gpu
/bin/echo "320000000" > /sys/class/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/max_gpuclk
/bin/echo "4" > /sys/module/msm_kgsl_core/parameters/simple_laziness
/bin/echo "7000" > /sys/module/msm_kgsl_core/parameters/simple_ramp_threshold
/bin/echo "simple" > /sys/class/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor

# set governor
/bin/sleep 3
/bin/echo "conservative" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

# set I/O scheduler
/bin/echo "noop" > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/scheduler

Last edited by deprecated; 2016-12-22 at 16:50.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
is there also an improvement using Sailfish 2.0.4 instead of 2.0.1 ? I just wonder if i should update or not

The Following User Says Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
I'll release a testing version, when its more usable.

As nh1402 alredy said, there's no new kernel version in cm13. Google never finished the 3.10 kernel, so until today no one got it fully working.
But the 3.4 kernel of cm13 has many many updates over the cm12.1 version and it'll will be much easier to add new features.

I hope i can release the test build next week...

And 8-10% for 12hours of screen off time is very impressive, i'm stuck at 1% per hour, but that's enough for me

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Hi guys, i'm new in SfOS and everything so sorry for noob question.

I've updated SFOS on N5 to 2.0.5.6 and almost everything is working well. Almost, becouse i can't record videos and battery drain is massive. Can someone help me atleast with camera? I use it everyday. I'll be grateful for any help

The Following User Says Thank You to edi194 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Originally Posted by edi194 View Post
Hi guys, i'm new in SfOS and everything so sorry for noob question.

I've updated SFOS on N5 to 2.0.5.6 and almost everything is working well. Almost, becouse i can't record videos and battery drain is massive. Can someone help me atleast with camera? I use it everyday. I'll be grateful for any help
You could try cameraplus from openrepos:

https://openrepos.net/content/msameer/cameraplus-0

Maybe this helps with recording videos.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
You could try cameraplus from openrepos:

https://openrepos.net/content/msameer/cameraplus-0

Maybe this helps with recording videos.
Tested already, it's crashing after hitting 'stop recording button' like stock one :/

The Following User Says Thank You to edi194 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 318 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by edi194 View Post
You have to swipe down the camera settings (default jolla cam app) and toggle between Photo/Video and/or Front/Main camera. After having done that, video recording should work.

Regarding massive battery drain: Do you use sfdroid? I also had this massive drain and checking with 'top' in the terminal I found a 'main' process that was using CPU like hell. So I did 'pkill main' (with 2.0.5.6 you can also use 'killall main'), and battery drain was gone...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to minimec For This Useful Post:

Tags
hammerhead, nexus5, sailfishos, sfdroid