Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by preflex View Post

Whoops! I'll be sure to fix those in the near future, once I have Archlinux working (kwin is just crashing on me). Thanks for the feedback!
Hi, If you haven't updated lately you might try to (-Syu option as you know of course!). There were some programs that began with mesa that had a bug. The update fixed my problem with kwin not working.

Btw, I had never used Archlinux before. pacman is pretty nice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi, If you haven't updated lately you might try to (-Syu option as you know of course!). There were some programs that began with mesa that had a bug. The update fixed my problem with kwin not working.

Btw, I had never used Archlinux before. pacman is pretty nice.
Yes, I suspect it was just some silly bug that would get fixed by an update. I hope it works out.

Also, pacman is pretty awesome. "pacman -Syu chromium" is like doing "apt-get update", "apt-get dist-upgrade", and "apt-get install chromium" all in one step. It is astonishingly powerful. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman for all the options. (Note: documentation on Archwiki is excellent. It's so good, I frequently consult it when dealing with other distros just because it tends to get into all the gritty details.)

Hopefully I can get yaourt working, because the AUR is where Archlinux really shines. It's like having all of Ubuntu's PPAs rolled into one and injected with steroids. The ease of installing unofficial or non-redistributable packages (like ffmpeg-full-nvenc) was the reason I switched from debianish distros.

off-topic:
On the desktop, Manjaro is really nice as well. It's kind of like the LinuxMint of Archlinux. All the power of Arch, but easy to install and set up. They have a really polished KDE build with a few extra kcm modules for managing kernel, video drivers, and systemd. It's really a shame Manjaro-ARM is shutting down. It's my favorite distro for raspberrypi.

Last edited by preflex; 2017-03-06 at 23:24.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Archlinux update fixes xwayland crash, but caused new and interesting problems which I don't yet understand well enough to ask good questions about. I suppose that's the downside of targeting rolling releases,

In the "good news" dept, I've made my scripts more generic. deskchroot.sh now requires some arguments: height, width, and session_start_command (startxfce4, startlxde, plasmashell, etc). This is a prerequisite for my upcoming convenient management app (not even pre-alpha yet. ETA 2 weeks, maybe more. Maybe lots more. ).

There will be a substantial update to my git repo tomorrow, hopefully including a new Arch-based release image, as well as scripts to generate your own (so you don't have to trust me, and so i can actually be in compliance with github's rules. ). I also plan to include a filesystem overlay which includes the comtents of /home/nemo, /root, and /usr/share/easychroot, so you can easily adapt my hacks to whatever distro you please.

One I release my preconfigured arch-based rootfs, I will cease answering questions about manjaro-arm and ask that you migrate. Due to the limited storage space on my Nexus 4, I can only quasi-officially support one guest distro at a time (unless y'all want to send me more hardware). I may need to switch distros again in the future, if library drift breaks things.

I ain't seen qole around in a while. I used the "easychroot" name because I was obviously attempting to re-implement his fantastic work on a broader scale, and wanted to give tribute. Since I'm not qole, and I'm targeting a much broader set of guest distros and host devices, I propose the name "VersaChroot". Your thoughts?

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
How about NotSoEasyChroot. lol Just kidding...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Transition to ArchLinux complete!

New rootfs is here: https://github.com/Preflex/easy-chro...ases/tag/0.0.2

New launch scripts are here: https://github.com/Preflex/easy-chroot

DeskChroot.sh now requires arguments, height, width, and command.
Example: "# sh DeskChroot.sh 1280 768 startxfce4"
LXDE and Plasma are also installed. To use them instead, use "startlxde" or "plasmashell" as command.

Filesystem overlay and scripts to build your own rootfs later, due to low battery (5%). Maybe later tonight. Probably tomorrow.

Have fun!

Last edited by preflex; 2017-03-08 at 06:01.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
Transition to ArchLinux complete!

New rootfs is here: https://github.com/Preflex/easy-chro...ases/tag/0.0.2

New launch scripts are here: https://github.com/Preflex/easy-chroot

LXDE and Plasma are also installed. To use them instead, use "startlxde" or "plasmashell" as command.

Filesystem overlay and scripts to build your own rootfs later, due to low battery (5%). Maybe later tonight. Probably tomorrow.

Have fun!
Great. Deleted Manjaro and put Arch in it's place. No problems at all. Nice to see minor fixes and lxde bundle Thank you for your hard work. I have questions:

1 Can we have terminal inside the arch linux?
2 Can we rotate the screen? (I could not)
3 Can we turn of arch linux gracefully?

I turn of arch with killing process. I find process pid with command 'ps -ef | grep xw' and kill it with "kill -9 'PID'"

This does something to SFOS it goes on airplane mode even if button is not acitated. I just restart to fix this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Would it be possible to automatically determine the device screen resolution? (I know that this can be done in QML, but don't know if there's a command-line method that works with Wayland.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by matemana View Post
1 Can we have terminal inside the arch linux?
2 Can we rotate the screen? (I could not)
3 Can we turn of arch linux gracefully?

I turn of arch with killing process. I find process pid with command 'ps -ef | grep xw' and kill it with "kill -9 'PID'"

This does something to SFOS it goes on airplane mode even if button is not acitated. I just restart to fix this.
1. Yes. It usually works for me. Sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I don't know why.

2. No. In the research I've done, it seems the inability to rotate is a feature, not a bug. This was seemingly done to prevent applications from changing the screen resolution, and any bugs related to it are marked WONTFIX. xRandR has read-only access to the xwayland server. It can get display info, but can't actually Resize-and-Rotate.

3. I dunno. Your suggestion looks good to me. Usually, I just reboot or just close the window and terminal session, but leave everything mounted. I'll be looking into this, but it's pretty far down on my to-do list.

The airplane mode stuff is weird. It claims to be in airplane mode, but networking still works for me. This is likely a side-effect of impersonating the nemo user and setting XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/100000, which seems to be needed to make pulseaudio work.
You could create /run/user/100010 and use that instead. It should interfere with SFOS less, but probably no audio.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Would it be possible to automatically determine the device screen resolution? (I know that this can be done in QML, but don't know if there's a command-line method that works with Wayland.)
"cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes" seems to give useful output, but may be problematic on other devices if multiple modes are available. On my system /sys/class/graphics/fb0/mode was just an empty file.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
"cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes" seems to give useful output, but may be problematic on other devices if multiple modes are available. On my system /sys/class/graphics/fb0/mode was just an empty file.

could you check again there are two files. one named 'mode' and second 'modes' first file is empty for me but second has resolution in it. i was looking for this info thanks for help. i'll make changes to script to select resolution automatically.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post: