Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
I encountered problems to connect my n810 to a PC via USB. While the external memory card is connected successfully, the internal card cannot be accessed via the PC (running a Ubuntu system). When I try to unmount the card the following statement is displayed:
umount: cannot umount /media/mmc2: Device or resource busy
Searching the forums I found only a reference in the German n800.de forum. Yet, the proposed workaround (to connect directly w/o intermediate usb-hub) does not work for me. Up until now, the only solution I have found is to reboot the system. Which is feasible yet not very convinient.

Maybe somebody knows a way how to calm down the memory card - preferable w/o killing all processes by hand?

icke

You need to make sure NOTHING is accessing the card.. and I do mean nothing.

If even a terminal is open and you are just "cd"'d into the media card.. it's considered busy. Or if your terminal is open as "user" who is in /media/mmc2, and you sudo su - to "root", and you cd out of the directory as root, and try to umount it.. "user" is still in the directory even though the active terminal is not. So you must first exit "root", change directories in "user", then go back to root and umount.

Or if a media application is running and even is aware there might be, possibly, a music file on your media card.. it could also be busy.

Or if you are booted into the media card with a cloned OS.. it's obviously busy..

If you are absolutely sure NOTHING you care about is currently accessing that device.. you CAN force linux to do as you wish by issuing:

umount -l /media/mmc2

Which is a "lazy" unmount.. it doesn't check anything and *can* cause some filesystem corruptions if done in the middle of read/write operations and things of that nature. It's typically a bad, evil, command that should only be used.. well, never . But I still find use for it sometimes.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2009-03-11 at 19:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Relatedly, I have used console tools to establish a swap partition on mmc1. But sometimes I want to take out mmc1 to use it with a card reader on the PC. How can I do this safely without throwing the tablet into a tailspin and having to force a reboot?

Thanks.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
swapoff [filename]

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Meanwhile I had to reboot the system as I encountered another issue (with the external card). Unfortunately, I could not solve it.

So my next steps will be to use the search function and maybe to open the next thread.

Again, thank you very much for your help.
Yours,
icke

You could try typing

Code:
sudo  lsof | grep /media/mmc2
to find out what process has open files on it. Prefixing the invocation with sudo i think digs out processes with root privileges which otherwise wouldn't be shown. I assume lsof is there by default, I'm not sure.

In my case, the results I get (for mmc1) are like this:

Code:
panucci   3240       user   13r   REG      254,9 6286422   2552 /media/mmc1/gpodder/Hacker Public Radio/hpr0306.mp3
fnord
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Bundyo, how do I determine the name of the swap file? I just assumed it was "swap"?!

It's going to be the partition you created for it.. IE:

swapoff /dev/mmcblk1p2
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
cool, thanks. And then "swapon ..." to turn it back on?

o_O I have a swap partition, too ...

Curious,
icke

Tags
mmc, mmc2, mounting, umount, usb