Active Topics

Notices

Hi,
Ive been googling and searching here but all i can find is info relating to the 810 ?

Is there a VNC server for the N900 ? So i can view the screen of the N900 remotely?

Thanks
G

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by lynxus View Post
Hi,
Ive been googling and searching here but all i can find is info relating to the 810 ?

Is there a VNC server for the N900 ? So i can view the screen of the N900 remotely?
There's x11vnc in extras-devel

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
TY, works perfectly

Mine does not work. When launching x11vnc it just starts and quits (I guess, because it gives no message just the desktop reappears). When trying to reach the n900 from my mac with Remote Desktop application it is said that n900 is vnc capable but no luck to connect...
What can be wrong here? In the meantime all other PC connectivity parts seem to work good

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by atikin View Post
Mine does not work. When launching x11vnc it just starts and quits (I guess, because it gives no message just the desktop reappears). When trying to reach the n900 from my mac with Remote Desktop application it is said that n900 is vnc capable but no luck to connect...
What can be wrong here? In the meantime all other PC connectivity parts seem to work good
You should really start this from the command line. The GUI launcher is just awful.

Try this command as a normal user in the terminal:

nohup x11vnc -forever&

After this you should be able to close the terminal and the vnc server will keep running. To verify that the server is up, just open a new terminal session and type this:

ps -ef | grep vnc

And then you'll see your x11vnc session, if not, that means it exited or crashed, so you can just re-start it with the first command.

An event.d script will start it automatically when you start the phone, I can post the event.d script I use for VNC if you're interested.

The only problem I've found is that the vnc server likes to exit/crash when you change network connections or go offline.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
You should really start this from the command line. The GUI launcher is just awful...
Thank you very much!

The command output seemed fine to me
Now it is turn of Apple Remote Desktop which still doesn't connect, just turns the wheel and finally denies to observe (or control) my N900. This should be an ARD issue.
Strange is that it sees N900's Ethernet ID (which is MAC address I guess) as 00:00:00:00:00:00 which is not the case )

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post

An event.d script will start it automatically when you start the phone, I can post the event.d script I use for VNC if you're interested.
please post your event.d script, thanks

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by bblue View Post
please post your event.d script, thanks
As root, create a file called vnc_start (it can be named anything, actually) and have it contain this:

start on started hildon-desktop

console output

script
/usr/bin/nohup /usr/bin/x11vnc -forever&
end script

Then save it with at least 755 permission on your N900's /etc/event.d/ directory.

When you reboot, the x11vnc will start up upon hildon-desktop startup.

Beware, the vnc server will exit/crash everytime the N900's IP address changes (when you change network connections), and when you go off line.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
having a vnc server running -forever without any security is very risky IMO.

at the very least you should protect it with a simple password:
run
Code:
x11vnc -storepasswd
as root once, this will prompt you for a password and save the file as /root/.vnc/passwd

to use this passwd file, change the command in your event.d:
Code:
/usr/bin/nohup /usr/bin/x11vnc -forever -usepw &

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Has anyone been able to see a cursor when using Ubuntu's VNC client?

UltraVNC on an Windows box shows a dot where the cursor would be on the N900 screen, but apparently the version of Vinagre on Ubuntu only shows the cursor on the server's screen - which is no cursor on a touch screen device.