Notices

hmmm, i may OC soon i'll give it a couple more days of research.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
At 1st start up flip phone over to deactivate accelerometer.
Yeah it's in the changelog but probably not anywhere people look.

Current version works as follows:
  1. If accelemymote isn't running, start it
  2. Then, if the phone is turned over in the first 10 seconds, shut accelemymote down.
  3. If it is not shut down during the first 10 s, it remains running and can be disabled/reenabled by flipping the phone over so you can use it for specific games*.
  4. When you quit MAME, if it started up accelemymote, it shuts it down.

Feel free to add a separate ROM list section on the wiki that has more details about the ROM than the current good/bad/ugly lists. It will be a good place to share information about tested ROMs such as the speed, custom settings, and problems. These are going to be rather subjective based on what else is running etc., but it would be useful to see what the situation is with default/OC setup, for example. Make sure to include the version of MAME and user name next to additions.

* It has to be running, but not necessarily active, when MAME starts so that MAME detects it as a joystick.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Yeah it's in the changelog but probably not anywhere people look.

Current version works as follows:
  1. If accelemymote isn't running, start it
  2. Then, if the phone is turned over in the first 10 seconds, shut accelemymote down.
  3. If it is not shut down during the first 10 s, it remains running and can be disabled/reenabled by flipping the phone over so you can use it for specific games*.
  4. When you quit MAME, if it started up accelemymote, it shuts it down.

Feel free to add a separate ROM list section on the wiki that has more details about the ROM than the current good/bad/ugly lists. It will be a good place to share information about tested ROMs such as the speed, custom settings, and problems. These are going to be rather subjective based on what else is running etc., but it would be useful to see what the situation is with default/OC setup, for example. Make sure to include the version of MAME and user name next to additions.

* It has to be running, but not necessarily active, when MAME starts so that MAME detects it as a joystick.
Some games that do seem odd (using MAME comparison on G1, Droid and PC).

1. Galaga 88 plays slow, but full speed on netbook PC (romset not supported on G1 or Droid (34/35b set).
2. Neo Geo games plays at or almost full speed on G1 and Droid.
3. The irony is there are MANY games that plays a lot faster on your fine MAME app than any other portable device, so there you go

800mhz OC helps, but still not as smooth for Galaga88 or some Neogeo games. On the bright side as mentioned, there are probably more games that play BETTER on your app (even without OC). Seems that it may be a driver issue that Galaga88 and Neogo romsets do not fair as well?

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-04-05 at 16:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
I will look into it for you shortly just changing a nappy..

EDIT:

2 hours later

BOY THAT WAS ONE BIG NAPPY .lol

Ok tried metal slug and metal slug 4 both worked fine

metal slug - 55% speed a little jerky
metal slug 4 - 55 - 61% speed again a little jerky.

To get them to work:-

Unzip a metal slug rom and unzip neogeo bios into the same place then make one new zip file with both sets of unzipped files in and make sure you name the new zip the same name as the original game zip file.
Strange this doesn't work for me. I tried it with 2 ROMS packs and BIOS and still no luck

Have you tried doing this on the PC version?

If it works on the PC version it will work on the n900 version.(apart from the performance differences BUT the compatibility should be the same)

Once you get it working on PC just copy and paste the new rom over to the phone.

@Flandry

Dunno if you found a way around this issue already...but imma make this post anyway.

You said at one point that disabling the emulation of sound entirely was a no go because some games required it. For example some games need the coin drop sound to be emulated to get past a certain points.

A work around would be to have the option of letting users disable individual sound channels. So that if the user encounters a game with this problem they can then experiment and switch the needed sound channel to make their rom work.

I had the same issue with a pico drive emulator I had on my symbian phone. When playing "battle toads vs double dragon" I needed to sometimes enable a particular sound channel to play the rom.

Edit: Or better yet....include the option of having the user disable sound emulation entirely. But warn them that some games may need sound emulation to work. So that they may then turn on sound emulation for some games....

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-04-06 at 17:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Some games that do seem odd (using MAME comparison on G1, Droid and PC).

1. Galaga 88 plays slow, but full speed on netbook PC (romset not supported on G1 or Droid (34/35b set).
2. Neo Geo games plays at or almost full speed on G1 and Droid.
3. The irony is there are MANY games that plays a lot faster on your fine MAME app than any other portable device, so there you go

800mhz OC helps, but still not as smooth for Galaga88 or some Neogeo games. On the bright side as mentioned, there are probably more games that play BETTER on your app (even without OC). Seems that it may be a driver issue that Galaga88 and Neogo romsets do not fair as well?
Interesting. Galaga88 just shows a black screen for me. I thought that was what everyone got.

Both Mac and Windoze boxes have assembly code helper functions in MAME that speed up the emulation by only doing the part of an emulated instruction that is needed. There are currently no ARM assembly helper functions. (1) implementing that should be a great excuse to learn ARM assembly and (2) it will probably make a very noticeable difference in performance on CPU bound games (i.e. the really slow ones). It's the kind of improvement that's ideal for this project, because it's something that can be passed upstream and go into the mainline code.

By contrast...

SavageD as i mentioned in my post of benchmarking, there is a parameter you can pass to MAME to disable sound. It doesn't shutdown whichever emulated CPU is handling the sound and i don't think there's any general way to do that. I can tell you that i'm not going to go through and hand-code that kind of functionality on a game-by-game basis because (1) it is the kind of rote activity i get enough of in daily life and (2) is exactly the kind of hack that defeats the purpose of following the mainline source for regular updates.

The ideal MAME project for that kind of hack is MAME4All, and i heard it compiles on Maemo. You might give it a look--i know that it would fill a large niche MAME isn't currently.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Any chance of a working 'Elevator Action' rom?

Thanks

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
The good thing about MAME4ALL is it works well on most devices and is a smaller size. The bad thing is a lot of the great games that play well on this fine app do not play at all on MAME4ALL, since years old in regards to MAME set. MAME 034&035b vs 137. Quite a few interations back

Not to mention a pain in the butt to find a working set for MAME4ALL.... well for some it is not.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-04-08 at 12:21.

@Flandry

My rootfs is a little low so i was looking at deleting some old apps in hope to clear some space. When i was in app manager and uninstall i noticed mame was showing a size of 32mb but when i checked the latest deb file it is 11.4mb.

Is this normal?

Tags
arcade, emulator, game, maemo 5, mame, wip