Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard

Samsung's relationship with Google seems solid enough for now, but the company is still hedging its bets with Tizen should things turn sour. Several devices running the alternative Linux-based OS are due to launch this year, and the GT-i8800 looks like it might be one of them. If this image from Tizen Greek Community is to be believed, then what you're looking at above is codenamed "Redwood". The phone runs Tizen 2.1 (an update on the version we last played with), packs S-Voice and sounds a lot like the the GT-i8805 we found out about yesterday. With over 900 million Android devices now in the wild, Samsung will not have an easy time trying to peddle its new OS, but we're curious to see where this goes. Click the source for more shots of the phone in action.

The Following User Says Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Finally another tizen thread!

Specst, specs, specs? In the link I posted in the tizen thread it seems like we have galaxy s3 display and not a great galaxy s4 display.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-05-24 at 11:34.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
According to gsmarena, the LTE-enabled device will sport a 720p display of as-yet unknown diagonal, and despite earlier promises, will feature a standard Cortex-A9 SoC, rather than the more robust A15 processor line found in more recent high-end smartphones.

The Redwood is a high-end device with 4G LTE connectivity, while the Melius is a mid-ranger with 3G. Both will run the latest Tizen OS version 2.1, codenamed Magnolia.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Manila

Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
According to gsmarena, the LTE-enabled device will sport a 720p display of as-yet unknown diagonal, and despite earlier promises, will feature a standard Cortex-A9 SoC, rather than the more robust A15 processor line found in more recent high-end smartphones.

Who needs anything more to power a well written, efficient and optimized O/S for a mobile device?

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The device looks far better than jolla's so far. But I think sailfish looks slightly better at the moment.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
[...]
With over 900 million Android devices now in the wild, Samsung will not have an easy time trying to peddle its new OS, but we're curious to see where this goes. Click the source for more shots of the phone in action.
[...]
Samsung is in the same luxurious position now with Tizen as NOKIA was back 10 yrs ago with Maemo.
Android (instead of Symbian) devices bring in the bread & butter and there is plenty of margin left to lose some money on a "new OS".
wonder in how far they'll learn the lessons from Maemo...