I suspect that updates are not counted. If they were, we would see a much more pronounced distribution curve with apps that are frequently updated having an inordinate amount of downloads compared to apps that aren't updated frequently. This isn't the case. As one example FM radio, extra codecs, and ogg support have many more downloads than a lot of less popular apps even ones that are updated far more often.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I suspect that each and every download is counted, updates too.

It's what almost all of them - Android, iTunes Music Store and apparently Nokia are all doing. Detailed metrics are possible but never given out.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Guys please stop speculating the number of the N900 sale. There is no one is absolutely correct on this none sense. The only person that can answer and give the correct number of sale is the market chief executive from Nokia. He or she should know the exact number.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Guys please stop speculating the number of the N900 sale. There is no one is absolutely correct on this none sense. The only person that can answer and give the correct number of sale is the market chief executive from Nokia. He or she should know the exact number.
And Nokia will never confirm it in a definitive manner.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Not really madness. Nokia never pushed the N900. No ads no nothing. The N900 was an experiment if you will. It was never intended as a flagship product. The N97 was.
No ads?
http://clocky.posterous.com/multimul...or-consumers-0

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I have yet to see an N900 ad either, except on web pages every now and then. Nuthin', but Europe is probably swamped with ads for the N900, since Nokia stomping grounds

Hmmmm. I am in the mood to listed to ABBA now Close enough- OK?

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Well, to be honest, there weren't any ads in the Czech Republic as well... nothing major at all...which really dissapointed me. But still... the numbers from Endgaget were wrong.. 100.000 in 5 months was a big fat lie from their side. It doesn't make sense at all, given how many demands there were for the device when it launched. It was even ranked on Amazon like the best selling device for a week or so. Not to mention over 10.000.000 downloads from the repositories. Right now there have to be millions of units sold worldwide. Probably more than 10 mil., considering that not everyone who bought it uses the app manager or updates firmware. I think the sales are actually very good, but it's Nokia who is killing the potencial of the device by their lack of communication with the customer - just look at all the problems and delays and myst regarding the launch and Ovi. It's just a tragedy. But overall I think the N900 is doing well, though it could be better and if it weren't for Peter from Maemo marketing, the N900 would have been already dead.

Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
. It doesn't make sense at all, given how many demands there were for the device when it launched. It was even ranked on Amazon like the best selling device for a week or so. Not to mention over 10.000.000 downloads from the repositories. Right now there have to be millions of units sold worldwide. Probably more than 10 mil., considering that not everyone who bought it uses the app manager or updates firmware.
You, my friend, are delusional. You are batsh*t insane if you think the N900 has sold "millions" in the first 5 months. The original iPhone took three months to get to ONE million in sales, and there were lines around the block at every apple store to show the demand for it. I don't remember seeing people waiting on line four days ahead of the N900 launch. And that's even taking into account that the original iPhone was only sold in the US at that time. But Nokia doesn't really have a foothold in the US anyway because it doesn't get the benefit of carries subsidies on most of its phones, so it's a wash.

Nokia should count themselves lucky if they can sell 1 mil in the first 6 months or so, because sales are pretty much going down from there.

Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
Right now there have to be millions of units sold worldwide. Probably more than 10 mil.,
To put this in perspective, the ipad has sold 2 million in 2 months with crazy long lines and shortages. It's one of the most lusted devices currently because of very slick marketing.

N900 will not be anywhere close to the millions mark, only a delusional fanboy would think so

Originally Posted by techngro View Post
You, my friend, are delusional. You are batsh*t insane if you think the N900 has sold "millions" in the first 5 months. The original iPhone took three months to get to ONE million in sales, and there were lines around the block at every apple store to show the demand for it. I don't remember seeing people waiting on line four days ahead of the N900 launch. And that's even taking into account that the original iPhone was only sold in the US at that time. But Nokia doesn't really have a foothold in the US anyway because it doesn't get the benefit of carries subsidies on most of its phones, so it's a wash.

Nokia should count themselves lucky if they can sell 1 mil in the first 6 months or so, because sales are pretty much going down from there.
You are just as insane. 'Queues in the US' means nothing globally. The reason Nokia are such a big player is due to their global foothold - they shat all over apple in handset sales because of their global reach. Im not saying the N900 has sold millions because it patently hasnt - just your argument is moot. Since when did you see queues for the N95?? And yet its sales have been millions, (possibly more than the iphone has sold).

Tags
nokia n900, sales