Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by tso View Post
someone need to get real apt gui going on maemo then as having to use apt-get on this small a screen becomes bothersome in the long run, even with a proper keyboard...
I think the reason why there's no Synaptic or Adept in Maemo is because of how things are all shoved into user/...?

But, I'm probably wrong.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
I think the reason why there's no Synaptic or Adept in Maemo is because of how things are all shoved into user/...?
Have you tried either on 800x480? A full-featured package manager simply doesn't work on such a small screen.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Have you tried either on 800x480? A full-featured package manager simply doesn't work on such a small screen.
No, but that doesn't seem to stop others from trying to port Linux Desktop Apps to the NIT...

For the record, I agree totally with what I think is your sentiment. I've tried the Keblet installation and, while I think it's really freakin' awesome that this is possible, it never stays on my tablet for any length of time, for the same reason you're implying. To me, KDE or Gnome or whatever just looks terrible on my tablet, and it's almost impossible for me to get used to using...and I'm a long-time (since KDE 1.x) user of KDE.

I'm happy enough with Hildon on my tablet because it just works better. When I click on a text-entry box, I like the fact that I didn't have to remember to bring up the keyboard before doing so. I already have to wear medium power reading glasses just to use the thing. If Nokia improves Hildon, or replaces it with something better, that's just great.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yes I have, in Deblet, and they work fine...

There are a lot of things in Synaptic that I like, such as installing/uninstalling multiple apps at the same time, etc..

Still can't install, either in Red Pill or apt-get. Looks like dependency problems.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the problem. I simply did apt-get autoremove, and then installed the packages...

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2008-10-09 at 23:38.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Eee with the same resolution as the N8x0, you know...
Same resolution as the N8x0? You sleep too much or being too biased.

Back to topic: where is the technical GTK interface? Yes, these themed graphics looks cool, but the GTK interface was more informative. You offer a 3 second update. Is it possible to lower this value to 4values/second? If not, what part is the reason (GPS, Bluetooth, Elmscan)??

Do you plan to release Carman for usual Linux distributions (to let it run on a laptop) or a better question: does Carman works with usual (py)bluez? Thank you.

Last edited by slha89; 2008-10-10 at 14:13.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Back on topic : Carman is very nice and it can even show GoogleMaps with a little plugin (although there are still a few bugs with the user plugins ...)
Nice works guys !

Fred

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by slha89 View Post
Same resolution as the N8x0? You sleep too much or being too biased.
How so? Nokia N800: 800x480. Asus Eee PC 701SD, 4G, 4G Surf, 2G Surf: 800x480. There are other, higher resolution Eee PCs now, of course, but the initial--and most common--models use the same screen resolution as the N8x0s.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
There are other, higher resolution Eee PCs now, of course, but the initial--and most common--models use the same screen resolution as the N8x0s.
Maybe most common in your biased world because you can do everything with your N8x0 - the one and only gadget. When other needs a C2D you'll take out your N8x0 and do the same. Aaaaargh!!!
Eee is one example for millions laptops out there. Maybe an Eee comes to my mind as an example because I own one.

I only want to ask if Carman developers brings Carman to the desktop like Canola and whether there is a GTK screen with much more technical numbers at one screen? Thank you for an answer!

Last edited by slha89; 2008-10-11 at 00:19.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by slha89 View Post
Maybe most common in your biased world because you can do everything with your N8x0 - the one and only gadget. When other needs a C2D you'll take out your N8x0 and do the same. Aaaaargh!!!
Eee is one example for millions laptops out there.
Perhaps it's not what you meant, but what you wrote was a request for a higher resolution Carman for use on an Eee PC. Benson and I responded specifically to that. I neither wrote nor implied that computers with larger resolutions are rare or unimportant, and I don't think Benson did either.

You're raging at shadows.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
was a request for a higher resolution Carman for use on an Eee PC.
What I exactly wrote:
Do you plan such thing with Carman too? So I can use it with my Eee PC.

What does that mean:
I asked about an x86 version like Canola and take as an example what I own. Nothing aggressive, just a friendly question.
It's looks like you have a personal problem with other gadgets if someone spells it. Childish!

@Carman developers:
Do you plan a Carman version for x86 like Canola? Yes I know it's Python. I mean a 'ready to run' version?
Is it possible to use the GTK interface on Carman 0.7? Thanks a lot for answer!

Tags
carman