Nokia reported at Netbook News quoting info from Mary McDowell and Nokia's 'Next Billion Group' - that Nokia is now developing not one but two lower-cost MeeGo devices, (hooray! Finally! Some sanity at Nokia HQ!) : aiming for the Emerging World markets.
Note this completely reverses the idiotic statements CEO Stephen Elop said less than a year ago about MeeGo. Good move Nokia, more of this. Except why is CEO Elop not running at the front of this story?
Why is he refusing to be seen near any MeeGo story about Nokia!
And now, EVEN MORE WITH THIS DRAMATIC NEWS DEVELOPMENT, if there are new MeeGo devices coming - and there is unprecedented press support of the N9, why not release the N9 and N950 on MeeGo now, sold in every market now, to help support the interest in, and future sales of those upcoming newer and cheaper MeeGo devices.

http://www.netbooknews.com/47197/nok...o-smartphones/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ahjolinna For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Almost a month old article. Elop still has chance to kill it. Also they have too release it before summer or else theyr really is doomed...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Nice, but I think this has been talked here earlier, even the comments on the article state that it is the Meltemi, not Meego that they are planning on the lower-end phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mc_mice For This Useful Post:
Yay go meego! Lets hope this is Nokia taking meego wore seriously by testing the water. (I know the article says that but I thought it too before I read those words)

Also what is maemo7?

"Update: We like to offer a clarification, MeeGo Harmattan 1.2 is a version of MeeGo, Maemo 6 and Maemo 7 when it is released will be called MeeGo even though they are not MeeGo it it’s purest sense.* Maemo.org talks about the name change here.

If you’re looking for a little more information, I’ve already written an article “Why is Nokia Still Working on MeeGo“

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
what?

Already running maemo 7. It's working great!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mc_mice View Post
Nice, but I think this has been talked here earlier, even the comments on the article state that it is the Meltemi, not Meego that they are planning on the lower-end phones.
Meltemi is the code name for the device/project, Nokia do like to have wind based codenames. To be honest no one actually knows what the core OS of the meltemi will be as nothing has really been mentioned of it yet. It could well be meego after all.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'll believe it when I see it.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
AGAIN with this BS article???

It's long been established that anyone associating Meego with Nokia's "Next Billion" initiative is doing so out of fantasy only.

The only platform with any real connection to the "Next Billion" strategy is Meltami. Get back to reality.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
To be honest no one actually knows what the core OS of the meltemi will be as nothing has really been mentioned of it yet. It could well be meego after all.
Yes it could. It could also be BSD, or System V, or Pixie Dust.

All have as much of a chance of running the "Core" of Meltami as Meego does.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Hopefully low end means:

-resistive touch display, lower size than 4" non HD that tries to compensate its shortcomings with nothing but a high PPI count.

-miserable viewing angle so that when reading in the dark, you can turn the screen at any angle and almost have no piercing light shining in your precious eyes

-trying to mask lousy OS and display with unpopular but cheap to integrate features like USB OTG, FM Rx/Tx, IR Rx/Tx, to try to attract customers with feature lists

-non sexy 12cm thick body with removable battery

-the aged and bulky camera module of the N8

-total lack of apps which they try to mask by implementing a desktop browser with cut n paste, flash, virtual cursor, full privacy control, so at least the user gets a feeling of not missing out but needs to suffer the full webpages for that

-a shameless port of the Nokia maps 2.0 version while WP already is version 2.5 or even 3.0

-trying ovoid angry mob over no support after release by supplying boot loader and open drivers so that the community may fix what may be found broken

-aged E7 hinge keyboard to compensate for lack of swype and single touch operation

If so I am interested

Last edited by ste-phan; 2012-04-25 at 15:24.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: