Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
We already started to discuss these in Council but didn't reach a conclusion because some members were absent. Community members are sought to volunteer to join a group based on their expertise. Unlike the situation where Nokia/Nemein provided support, we will need community members with a variety of skills.

Some (personal) comments on your list:

Legal - includes IPR and OSS licensing issues. Also includes creation of non-profit entity. May include governance. I have volunteered to put together this group.

Infrastructure - we called this Migration. We may need to streamline and trim down the infrastructure, and careful consideration must go into that.

Steering - I don't understand. Do you mean something like a TSG?

We also had an additional focus - Finances. We need money to start this and then an estimated budget to guide activities. Will people trust a community member to collect donations to start the community project and how should that be done - Paypal, bank account, etc? Also, request sponsorship from Nokia and other external entities, contracts with hosting company and other IT vendors. NielDk has offered to lead this focus.

I also think we need to decide on a mission statement, etc. If we ask people to donate, then they will want to know what they are supporting.

Maemo is currently a registered trademark of Nokia and the domain name is owned by Nokia. Our previous request to transfer the domain name was denied - I don't expect that to change. We have "maemocommunity.org" as a backup.

What is needed to run the community website is a non-profit and hosting, which depends greatly on what is migrated. Hosting something is relatively easy and inexpensive, but it gets complicated as we start adding some of the functionality. I would estimate the start-up costs for the most basic landing page to be something on the order of 600-800 USD.

It sounds like we will need a vbulletin license to migrate the forum content. If not, we can start all over again with a new forum.
Wikis are easy (I think).
I agree with not using garage any more.
we can use maemocommunity.org or some other alternative
I suggest a community OBS shared with Mer/Nemo (MeeGo OBS is going away soon)
Maybe a shared OBS Mer/Nemo/Fremantle/Harmattan? This would benefit much more (Harmattan apps)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Maybe a shared OBS Mer/Nemo/Fremantle/Harmattan? This would benefit much more (Harmattan apps)
That is what we are trying to achieve. Volunteers needed to help.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
Ivan,

where can one subscribe to that mailing list?

considering the situation & your position, i think you should get into the habit of providing links & all over & over again...
maybe add them to your signature, for the sake of it?
Well, mailing lists have been there since the very beginning such as IRC so I didn't consider the link was needed. Anyway, here it is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Well, mailing lists have been there since the very beginning such as IRC so I didn't consider the link was needed. Anyway, here it is.
Maemo Announcements?
Maemo Community?
don't you think that part of your duty, as member of the Council, would also be to facilitate access to that information?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Yes, the funding for TMO forum will likely stop at the same time as the rest of maemo.org. Reggie has already addressed the issue:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=32

I assume because Reggie said "backup" that he is not going to transfer the license, just give us the means to transfer the data to a new vbulletin instance.
Forum is in fact redirecting directly to TMO...
any chance the community could pay what NOKIA is paying now?

Originally Posted by Wonko View Post

Infrastructure
- garage.maemo.org: alternative: github, gitorious
I agree with not using garage any more.
But do those alternatives offer the same functions as garage.maemo.org?

On the Garage you can also find a lot of websites with information.
like:
http://pc-connectivity.garage.maemo.org/
http://pluthon.garage.maemo.org/2nd_edition/

And what about non-maemo related projects on garage?
i don't know many, but for example:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/pys60/

It would be nice to keep the current state of Garage accessible, just as a reference.

Also the maemo 5 SDK requires files from:
http://scratchbox.org/
That is also a Nokia sponsored project.

Last edited by Bernard; 2012-06-23 at 18:49.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Thanks SD69 for the input. I updated the Wiki with the information you provided.

Steering - I don't understand. Do you mean something like a TSG?
I think I meant something like "steering commite". Essentially, something like coordination, government, or so. Please update, change the Wiki if the term is unclear.

@rzr: I saw that you had been added as contact person for the MeeGo OBS. Forgive my ignorance but are you officially responsible for the OBS or just interested in OBS from a user perspective?
The contact person column was intended to add contact info where to reach the people that are currently in charge of running the respective service. However, the layout and content of the table was also just a first quick shot.
In order to keep a good overview of the table I propose that we add more information in separate sub-sections. For talk.maemo.org, e.g., I added some more information that, I think, wouldn't have fit into the table.

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Also the maemo 5 SDK requires files from:
http://scratchbox.org/
That is also a Nokia sponsored project.
I added scratchbox. The Harmattan SDK also builds on top of scratchbox, by the way.

I also added the voting infrastructure that is used for voting the council or during the coding competition to the summary.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Maemo Announcements?
Maemo Community?
don't you think that part of your duty, as member of the Council, would also be to facilitate access to that information?
I'm sorry I think I don't really understand what you mean (language barrier maybe?).

You can subscribe to the community mailing list here. If you read the Wiki page I previously linked, you'll see the rest of mailing lists in case you are interested in subscribing to any other one.

Entry point to communication channels of the community are perfectly defined in the Community page which is the third link under the Maemo.org banner on top of this website.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about communication channels via PM so we won't pollute this thread any more.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
- talk.maemo.org: alternative?
- wiki.maemo.org: alternative?
- garage.maemo.org: alternative: github, gitorious
- main web site at maemo.org: alternative?
- autobuilder?
- OBS at MeeGo?
- Repositories?
First off, we'll need to host TMO with our own money, unless you want to go with crappy free hosts or gasp, be incorporated into a XDA subforum.
(Also, if we needed to cut costs, we could switch away from vBulletin to something free, like phpBB.)
Same with the front page, althought I guess with the right forum layout, we can discard that too.
As for a WMO alternative, I guess if we really needed to start shaving costs we could put the articles up on Wikipedia after some heavy cleanup.
And for the autobuilder, if the MeeGo OBS really is getting shut down, I guess we have no other choice than to rent a VPS and run our own instance of OBS there.
(this would probably host the repos too).

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
But do those alternatives offer the same functions as garage.maemo.org?

On the Garage you can also find a lot of websites with information.
like:
http://pc-connectivity.garage.maemo.org/
http://pluthon.garage.maemo.org/2nd_edition/
IIRC, github does free hosting of simple webpages.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
any chance the community could pay what NOKIA is paying now?
No.

I don't know what the exact amount is, but everytime I've raised the issue with Reggie, supplementing with advertising etc., he hasn't been interested. It's a large amount - more than the community could, or probably should, pay.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, responsibility