Closed Thread
"legacy" phone calls are just stress anyway. mum calling me to tell me to clean my house. and i do business using my business phone. if i have to do things with people who can't read email. =p

Nokia ****ed up. Word on the street used to be that Nokia had the biggest and best R&D of any company. Problem was, almost nothing from the concepts reached the products. Like car manufacturers nowadays, they strived to make only one major change for every generation, so they can sell next year's model with technology they already have.

Last edited by volt; 2012-05-20 at 09:57.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Nokia ****ed up. Word on the street used to be that Nokia had the biggest and best R&D of any company. Problem was, almost nothing from the concepts reached the products. Like car manufacturers nowadays, they strived to make only one major change for every generation, so they can sell next year's model with technology they already have.
It's not like that at all. Nokia earned lots and lots of money. When you do that, your biggest problem is to put that money into something useful. That something can be purchasing other companies, or it can be used for R&D. The problem is to do that and still maintain focus on your core business. Building and maintaining patent portfolio, like Nokia has done, is an investment for the future. Lots of it may be on the fringes of what practically can be used for phones, but it it's like huge and tall building, you have to build it brick by brick, you cannot cheat.

Nokia R&D did everything right. All the wrongs were done by design teams and poor execution; EDoF camera, too little RAM, no real flagships after the N95, poor Ovi store, no dedicated team of first class programmers to revamp Symbian from the ground (went open source instead) etc etc. All that ended up with the N97, E7 and every other Symbian^3 + device. The only exception was the N8, but that one is also plaged by too little ram and too small battery.

<crickets chirping>
Attached Images

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
their stock went down again.

2.90 -0.12‎ (-3.97%‎)

Originally Posted by specc View Post
It's not like that at all. (...)
Nokia R&D did everything right. All the wrongs were done by design teams and poor execution;
I didn't say that Nokia R&D did anything wrong. I said, or suggested, that the end products didn't reflect the innovation made inhouse. You're listing ways that they didn't reflect the innovation, so basically I think we're somewhat in agreement.

Was a good friday but bad month for Nokia.

https://www.google.com/finance?chdnp...YSE:NOK&ntsp=0

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
I guess there is some hope for those that have bought Nokia stock recently:

If you purchased Nokia Corporation securities between October 26, 2011 and April 10, 2012 and would like to discuss your legal rights, visit www.faruqilaw.com/NOK. You can also contact us by calling Richard Gonnello or Francis McConville toll free at 877-247-4292 or at 212-983-9330 or by sending an e-mail to rgonnello@faruqilaw.com or fmcconville@faruqilaw.com. Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP also encourages anyone with information regarding Nokia's conduct to contact the firm, including whistleblowers, former employees, shareholders and others.
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/24/451...investors.html

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
I guess there is some hope for those that have bought Nokia stock recently:

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/24/451...investors.html
what a BS. They got nothing legal to hurt Nokia. My position is long, and it will triple in 2 years

The fact Elop is one of the biggest shareholders in his ex employer's company (microsoft), and runs a company in which he has no shares, and changes his company's business to benefit that of his ex employer, seems very fishy to me

All 3 of my best friends who all use iPhones said they wanted to get an n9 after only using it once. That's how good the OS is. But of course, they aren't going to get one because Elop killed it

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Dared View Post
The fact Elop is one of the biggest shareholders in his ex employer's company (microsoft), and runs a company in which he has no shares, and changes his company's business to benefit that of his ex employer, seems very fishy to me
That's not a fact, and it hasn't been for quite a long time. Elop liquidated all his shares in Microsoft, don't know how he stands regarding Nokia stock, tho. I am of personal opinion that CEOs, CFOs and BoD members should only be paid in stock options of any given public company - they can live from the dividend if they keep or increase the value of a company they run, and would be directly punished if the value drops. I don't believe in management responsibility if their own arse is not on the line.

Elop and his management team have done so much wrong things that you don't need to pull fictional data or conspiracy theories in order to plainly show their incompetence.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen