Active Topics

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Being a Linux sissy, I was wary to try vpnc from the command line, but after installing the vpnc app and the GUI interface today I was able (contrary to earlier reports) to connect to my campus VPN (New York University) using the GUI interface which works well. Since I spend 70% of my day on campus, this now renders the N800 completely indispensable, mobile computing campus wide, online apps for taking notes in classes and if I leave my desktop on via VNC or RDP I will be able to connect for power use at any time

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by mephistos View Post
No, wasn't aware of it. But I haven't commited to making a purchase yet (waiting on next pay day). Where do I sign up for it?
Someone said the first discounts were used up, but Nokia also states that they are open to appeals for further discounts. I don't recall the link offhand but the info was on a maemo page and the link is somewhere in this forum.

As for the VPN tool itself, I agree that a ubiquitous front end with every option under the hood is the killer app.

Originally Posted by genome4hire View Post
3 of the people on this threat attend Indiana University. Our university supports two solutions, either PP2P, or L2TP over IPSEC.

It would seem that L2TP over IPSEC will be the easiest solution to implement.

This page here (http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/linux-l2tp.html) has instructions on setting up a linux machine as a L2TP over IPSEC VPN client.
Hi just ordered my N800 and was looking at the VPN options.

All looks familiar with not having the right VPN options.

If you look on Jacco website above you'll see a link to mine as I converted all that stuff to run on the ipcop version of Linux. Don't tell me now I'm going to have to do the same on N800!

Although I didn't have to bother with custom kernels as openswan is part of IPCop distro. All I did have to do was port L2TP; and configure PPP and Openswan for it to work. Less familiar with Debian as I'm a Redhat man myself (well for the last 7 years, was slackware before that).

Duncan

Last edited by Elminster; 2007-03-10 at 20:35.

Amazing on so many levels.

People are actually interested in my project idea?

People at my school know what an N800 is?

What a concept!

Hi all,

I would also like to be able to connect to my school's VPN, however, they stated clearly on their website that they do not support linux. I still believe that it is possible to use the N800 to log in, but I need some advice.

Here are the settings that they recommend for Windows XP. Can someone advice me on the relevant VPN client to use on the N800 and what I should do? I'm new to this...

It uses PPTP for the protocol.

Creating a new VPN connection
1. Click Start, then select Control Panel.
2. Click "Network and Internet Connections".
3. Click "Create a connection to the network at your workplace".
4. In the New Connection Wizard window, select "Virtual Private Network connection", then click Next.
5. In the box under "Type a name for this connection in the following box.", type a descriptive name, such as "SCHOOL".
6. Click Next.
7. In the box under "Host Name or IP address", type "130.95.11.2" (without quotes).
8. Click Next.
9. Tick the "Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop" box if you want to a shortcut for the SCHOOL connection on your desktop.
10. Click Finish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting to the SCHOOL VPN
1. Click Start, then select Connect To, then select "SCHOOL" (or the descriptive name you gave your connection).
2. Enter your SCHOOL username and password in the appropriate boxes.
3. Click Connect.
4. If you are prompted to enter a windows networking username and password, click the Cancel button.

Luke

Last edited by luketoh; 2007-03-28 at 03:00.

btw, i managed to get on the wireless network, but without a way to hook into the vpn, its useless to me at the moment. i hope those of you who are experienced can give me a hand! thanks!

Luke

I just purchased my N800. I'm still a total noob on this thing, however I'm going to figure it out right away. As for your PPTP connection - if you can find the PPTP-client sources and compile it you should be fine, I don't know yet how compatible the arm binaries from debian are - but they will work, the only thing you need to worry about is the MPPE compression from M$ that needs to be built into the kernel, possibly as well patched into PPP. Once I can figure out how to rearrange this virtual keyboard so I can type IPs properly as well as use the PIPE | symbol I think I'll get myself testing the pptp-linux client.

Mainstream Linux can work with MS PPTP, it has the necessary support in the kernel and some application to use it. If this is or could be made available for the N800 is the question.

No question. I am using PPTP with my n800.
You just need an armel version of pptp and a patched kernel for you n800.
The rest is the same stuff as it is in linux.

Originally Posted by loki View Post
No question. I am using PPTP with my n800.
You just need an armel version of pptp and a patched kernel for you n800.
The rest is the same stuff as it is in linux.
So, can you share your kernel and armel version of pptp?