Active Topics

I am using http://speedtest.net because it's a HEAVY Flash site. So, it creates a lot
of cpu overhead during the test. I have been running about
800kbps/600kbps on the N800 over my Millenicom (Sprint) EVDO MBB connection.
But this test was exceptional:

Shows me the NIT have plenty of horsepower.

FYI, the test runs SLOWLY, on the N800 so just let it run after you select the
test node.

WTHeck, it's something fun.

Last edited by brecklundin; 2008-02-20 at 20:00. Reason: typos...do'oh!!

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Using scp:

I get 255 KB/s Download 550 KB/s Upload on a local network copying to/from the flash memory

Downloading to /tmp:
580 KB/s (4.5Mbit/s)

I wonder if this makes sense.. network driver, max wireless speed, cpu. Dunno what is the bottleneck

Last edited by free; 2008-02-20 at 19:28.

not sure what the bottle neck is for you but about 5Mb/s. on an ethernet (even a 100Mbps setup) is about right considering the CPU in the NIT. I am actually not sure what the NIC in the N800 is theoretically rated at...my guess is it's just a 10Mbps card at BEST. Could be wrong there though just never bothered to look because no way the device could ever run at that speed, might get close if and when the ramp up the CPU to it's max of 1000Mhz vs. the 400Mhz it's running at under OS2008.

The other numbers are close to where they should be as they work out to between approximately 3Mbps - 5Mbps. Much can depend on memory fragmentation, what other apps are running at same time, fragmentation on the data source-side of the issue. I have even see where the data copied can affect the speed. It should not matter but some files seem to be, well, reluctant to move around. I suspect that was more a fragmentation issue than anything else.

But those numbers seem fine. My test was just testing the actual internet connection speed not an internal network copy. I find it measures how well the NIT handles the overhead of the internet connection while managing the overhead from Flash while xfering the data for the speed test.

Considering my C2D HP nx9420 laptop gets similar, slightly higher, numbers using the same mobile broadband connection I used in the test above...I find the results very encouraging.

Last edited by brecklundin; 2008-02-20 at 20:13.

I got 1.806 MBps download speed and 0.709 MBps upload speed.. I checked it at Scanmyspeed.com . It does not need flash or java.. You can download the windows gadget to your pc or laptop and check the speed right from the desktop...