Active Topics

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Hi Everyone,

I hope you all do not mind yet 'another' N900 review, I would place this on my blog - but this is the central area I assume most people will come when looking for info about the N900.

I'm going to be as open and fair as I can and really try not to compare the phone to other devices where possible. Any comparisons I will make will be from my knowledge of other devices through previous ownership or use. Just remember when you are commenting, that is my personal review with my own opinions, so I may post something that you feel is incorrect - More then happy to hear these though please be kind/debate and not rude!

My History of Nokia Devices
Here is a picture of them all if you need to compare!
Nokia 2110, 8110,5110,6110, 8810, 3210, 7190,8210, 3310, 6210(i loved that one!), N93, 3410,6310, 7290, 3120, E61, 1110, N93(Woah!) , E90, E71,E63 & the N900 (wow Nokia have had a lot of my money (Or the companies, depending on the phone!)

So, you know that I have no tablet knowledge per se', but I would class myself as a technical user.

I am an IT Advisor in my day job, I have built many a web site, flash site, and even some games and apps in my history thru-out the years. So Maemo/Python etc may be my next attempt

Ok, so bit about me done, what about my thoughts on the N900......

The Big Wait!
I have spent a few months here waiting for it to arrive - during which time I think I have read every review, saw all ‘youtube’ videos and couldn't be more excited. (Can list them, but i am sure you may have already seen them all)

I then started to read all the failures, issues and bugs……
Still holding out a high hope, as I was sure most people with the device have stopped posting for a while, and you get a higher posting of 'failed' device users over the 'working fine' device users.

N900 o’clock!
On Friday the 4th of December 2009 - My N900 arrived! (UK, south coast, MPD Order on a new Vodafone Contract) - I went on an extended lunch break (for almost a week, ok not that bad, and a slight exaggeration!) and went home to pick it up.

I brought it back to work, and put the battery and my work SIM straight into it, then left it on charge.... How long I hear you say!!!! (Or I predict you are thinking!) ... I lasted a cup of coffee and a cigarette... so 10/15 minutes?! … I’m proud of myself for holding out that long!
(I used my work SIM first so not to start the new personal contract without making sure the device was working fine! – just simplifies things if they go wrong!)

I did read in the manual that the device came charged enough to use straight out of the box, so I did.

My initial view of the device was one of amazement.... Not only did it look so much smaller then I expected, it was lighter and a lot easier to hold. - Wow, my hopes have been built up even further!

Will this device knock me down in flames?!

I’ve posted a few pictures below in my own very random comparison!
Nokia N93 Comparison - Length
Nokia N93 Comparison height
Nokia N93 V N900 sideways view height

N900 V 3G card V 3G Stick V Highlighter pen V N93 V Pen V Acer Aspire One Pro V Nokia Case V Mouse

Ok, the N93 is a poor comparison to some, but stick with me here. I coped with the N93 - why on earth would I not cope with the N900! (Ignore the screen protector bit, will get to that shortly!)

So I’m happy with the looks, and I’m happy with the size and feel.... How about the usage of the actual device?

For me the device is
  • Smooth and quick to scroll
  • Simple to understand and easy to use (Minor exceptions explained later)
  • Reliable, so far
  • Filled with useful applications
  • Surprising me every day with extra functionality

OK, all is still good in the world.....
Am I annoyed with any part of the hardware personally? No.... Except for.... one tiny-weeny-ickle thing... The plastic bit in front of the keyboard here when I press it in, which to be very fair, is not often! It creeks! – just a personal annoyance!

I find the speakers, volume quality, volume amount, screen, slider, external buttons, stylus, battery case, stand, camera slider, USB port and headphone slots all fine for my personal use.

I have a few gig of mp3 files on it, a couple of avi files - all at ipod quality - so I need to sort that out!
I have about 50 photos on it, and love the gallery. Yes there could be improvements, but nothing that hinders me

What software have I installed? Well I’m sure you are not interested in it all, so here is what i think are the star performers in my N900 life.
  • The Desktop, ok technically not an application, but wow I love it As Timsamoff has just twittered about my cluttery’ness I do agree! But i love it all in front of me! No need to use all 4 yet - but very very useful!
  • Pixelpipe - oh wow! I can take a screenshot, Twitter/Flickr and facebook it, can multitask to get the picture address and post it on here... Well done PP team!
  • Raw Picture Viewer! Essential for me in my amateur photography mode!
  • Moobox - how can you not love this?!?!
  • Gpodder - Superb - never podcasted before - now I’m hooked on show's I didn’t know existed. So so simple, and works perfectly for me
  • Nokia Messaging! I have my yahoo and personal imap accounts running fine - simple, effective and does everything I need
  • FM Transmitter - I love it, used in conjunction with the Gpodder, my gf and I used it on a long trip, and my mate in the car behind could hear it (Granted they had to be quite close!)

I have to say something’s I didn’t like, but then I won't use them at the moment, and will try another day
Mauku, and Hermes, have both worked but I have a few issues with them.

Hermes in particular as I was tired when selecting which phone contact was which facebook contact.... I got a few wrong and they seem to be stuck with other peoples faces for now.... The gf's sister is not impressed she now looks like a fat balding mate! Oh well, c’est la vie (I'm sure someone will point out this is self inflicted pain in some way!)

Quick phrases for other apps
Bounce - addictive!
Password safe - useful!
Zoutube - Shortcut! - Works great
KMPLayer/Mplayer - not needed yet - normal media player is fine for me at the moment
Sketch - great for boring meeting doodles!
Xournal - great for interesting meeting notes!

Ok, my internet speed goes from 2g - 3.5g and does affect my opinion at times. When in 2g areas I sulk, as I can't do a lot of what I need/want to do.
2g is too slow for me, and the N900 becomes a normal phone. And for that it is fine.

3g/3.5g/WiFi is when this baby comes into life - Youtube works fine, iplayer a bit laggy. Most flash games online I have tried play well. (My personal site was a little laggy, good flash test for me though)
(Edit - would love to see this thread get some momentum!)

So, my use is limited, but I try new things every day….

I bought a few lovely extra’s for my N900…
Here’s my very basic run-down!
A soft touch hard case - Unfortunatley the fit just isn't quite right. The bottom fits fine, the top just comes loose a little too often. If it did fit, it would be perfect for me. (Also, you can't get to the latch/stand on the back easily!)

A Nokia Charger! - A very needed extra for work to keep it charged - no hissing noises on this one!

DC-10 retractable car charger - It's bulky! and very good - easy to use, and works fine for me!

Cheap Nokia Puch Bag - It's a tight fit - but not too tight for me. Fits snuggly and has meant i can get rid of the rubberized case that i didn't like! I tend to put my phone in the same pocket as my keys, so having this is really useful!

The Duratec Screen protector
- So far, really not impressed - as you have seen the picture earlier and this close up... Well, it fits the screen perfectly... It's reasonably easy to fit, but it's still a bit bubbly a day later. Using a stylus with it is ok, a bit rubbery to the touch, and using your finger will be ok... but you will notice a very slight lack of response compared to the screen on it's own.
I will definitley be looking at alternatives after xmas! - for now it will stay here to protect my screen....

Any Weird things?
Well, yes, as per a previous post of mine i am getting a high pitch squeal with my charger. it does seem to only be the connector attached to old chargers, but does worry me. On closer inspection the connector is actually hissing, not the phone though. And wow it's hot after a while on charge.
It does seem for me anyway to be limited to when my device is almost charged. - But i don't want to stop charging my device at 80%! - Hence the new charger bought on ebay.

What would i like to see? (Hardware, forums, community, the lot!)
Well, i would like to see the application catalogues easier to put in, just a personal thing as i stupidly spelt Fremantle wrong! - but then i need to learn the hard way.

I'd love to see the wiki, tutorials, Bugzilla & Brainstorm more promenant on the talk forums. I really find them all so useful, and for an intermediate user it's just not easy to get to everything you need to do. (Very confused about 2 logins or possibly more for the maemo.org site!?!)

Searching the forums is fine, and does help - but when a post has become so useful or answered a question it needs to go into the wiki/tutorials. (A few examples are Venom's post, Qole's post etc)

A simple addition for me would be a user tool belt so to speak. (Put tutorial and wiki in an easy to reach link - i know we have the top bar, but downloads/community/development and news need some review in my opinion - also talk should really be renamed forum shouldnt it?) - happy to discuss this in another post if needed.

Maemo's community really is one of a kind. Just looking at posts like this one show the community spirit, i started using VenomRush's post to setup a virualized Maemo environment to start to learn to code - very impressed, and can't wait to see what i can or can not do

To sum it all up
I love the community.... It's making me think, getting me interested in new things and new technologies.
Love the device - as i bought it with the knowledge that it was new to me. - Shocked that there is nothing wrong with mine (Is that bad?!)
Wish things could be easier to find on this site....
Have to pass on my thanks to everyone in this thread for the wonderful people who have kept me sane in the past few weeks.

I may pop back and edit this - as there is soo much to fit in, but i've tried to do it all in one post - so excuse my mad rambles in places - I've purposely not put pictures in the post as it's already pretty big!

Ooo to the sneaky mod mover - wasn't sure if i should put it in the N900 thread as it wasn't just about the hardware - thankee though

Last edited by noobmonkey; 2009-12-10 at 16:56.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Thanks dba and Tom

Kinda impressed i havn't started a flaming sesison - did i do something right, or even horribly wrong lol

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Thanks for this comprehensive review noobmonkey - I still have to write mine and now I'm feeling that urge to get it done sneaking up on me

Maybe you could add a list of pros and cons at the top for easy reference for the people who only want a summary? That could be awesome.

Glad you are enjoying the device

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
Thanks for this comprehensive review noobmonkey - I still have to write mine and now I'm feeling that urge to get it done sneaking up on me

Maybe you could add a list of pros and cons at the top for easy reference for the people who only want a summary? That could be awesome.

Glad you are enjoying the device
Ooo good idea, think i will! - just bullet points should be enough

Hello mate, finally got mine this morning, spent the last 2 hours messing about with it. Great review, one thing I would like to know is how you got those buttons (Email, Phone, SMS etc) along the bottom. Because at the moment I'm having to hit the menu button then choose Phone or Email etc etc

Originally Posted by CharlieCharlie View Post
Hello mate, finally got mine this morning, spent the last 2 hours messing about with it. Great review, one thing I would like to know is how you got those buttons (Email, Phone, SMS etc) along the bottom. Because at the moment I'm having to hit the menu button then choose Phone or Email etc etc
Thanks Charlie

Easy to do

Click anywhere on a blank part of the screen, and a little 'cog' icon will appear at the top.
Click the cog icon,
Then click the words "Desktop Menu" also at the top

Yo uthen get the option to add shortcuts (most of those are shortcuts)

Thanks for this useful review ......

The Following User Says Thank You to samyuktha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by samyuktha View Post
Thanks for this useful review ......
Thx for bumping a 1.5 yo thread ..........................................

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Look at this page, there are "54 Handy Tips and Tricks for Nokia N900":

http://nokiasaga.com/54-handy-tips-a...for-nokia-n900

The Following User Says Thank You to hgroove For This Useful Post: