OK, got the replacement battery and replacement SD card, hooked up the charger, and ran the new N800 just long enough to install the latest firmware.

Have an internal 2GB SD card and an "external" (other slot) 2GB SD card.

My questions are:

1) I have no desire to go through support h#ll again. What can I do (or group of things can I do) to maximize the life of the touchscreen? Use the stylus or no? Certain programs to avoid?

2) How much of the internal 2GB SD card should I make available to the N800 for use as extended memory? The whole thing?

3) What are your "must have" programs for the N800. I'm thinking of installing VNC (the one program I used alot on the old one), and possibly the Rhapsody application. Other suggestions? And again, any packages you suggest I avoid?

TIA,
Ewan

Ummm... anyone?

Even pointers to other suggested threads would be acceptable...

Thanks,
Ewan

Don't let the N800 use the entire card as extended memory. Maybe as much as 100MB, but no more, the 800 has a reasonable amount of RAM, and using the card will only keep some apps from crashing "sometimes" when they run out of memory...

It shouldn't really matter what apps you use on the screen... Keeping it clean is the best idea, don't wipe it with rough cloth, etc.

My thoughts...

1...Get a screen protector like the one it came shipped with. A plastic cover or thin layer on top of the screen should help it avoid scratches, etc. I use one on my PSP, DS, etc.

2...For the SD cards...I think the internal will allow you to allocate only 15% of it to the N800. Unless your going to fill up the cards...never hurts to allow it a little extra memory use.

3...Must haves...The FM radio is nice. Works great but you need to plug in headphones which are the antenna. I have all my stations in and like this...98.7 WCWD Jazz...etc. Works great. Nice to relax to. Next is the mplayer. Its a nice secondary player for clips that might not run on the one inside the N800.

4...Rhapsody...I'd skip it. It's a subscription service after 30 days. I'm not paying extra for that. I'll find free internet radio stations instead.

That's all for now. Enjoy it!!

I have a samsung m500 on the sprint network. I got it to pair, but when i go to connent it says "Network connention error. Try agian?" can anybody please Help.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
From a non-techie:

1. Get Orb on your PC, so you can enjoy your content on the N800 anywhere you're at, home or not.

2. I use GAIM alot (multi-client IM client)

3. The Gmail notifier

That's about it, really. My N800 has become a portable media player more than anything else, really.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
I personally don't use a screen protection. So far so good.
I have no idea on extended memory usage. I don't use it and it is OK so far.

My recommendations:
- Radio applet is great
- OMWeather applet is also very nice to have.
- Canola for audio / video / photo. In my view the best N800 app in terms of "usability"
- For instant messaging, I'm using the default "contact" system. Just register to a jabber server and run. If you have contacts using MSN/AIM/... you just need to find a Jabber server including a gateway to those services.
- Gizmo project for VoIP. Works great!
- Nethack for gaming (best game ever )