Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
There is an ongoing work aiming to get a single sign-on for maemo.org

If you want to know more and help out follow these links:

Wiki page where the task is documented
http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Single_sign-on

This is a task commited in the maemo.org April sprint by Daniel Wilms. You can follow the process in the sprint page
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Sprints/April_09

and also in Daniel's blog
http://danielwilms.wordpress.com/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
My view of this task is from the forum and as a new user of maemo.org component sites. Because of that and my belief that time is of the essence of anything we do in life, I'm going to post in this thread rather than in an area or site that I'm not comfortable with yet.

(Greetings Daniel. I trust you had an enjoyable May Day. )

It may be more/better to concentrate on new accounts first and then determine a way to retroactively update existing accounts. A parallel system may be needed in this case.

Regardless of what approach is taken:

It seems to me that once privacy policy, web certificates, and other potential new user roadblocks are removed, established, or maintained these policies should be posted on the new user account sign up page and new users should be advised in a separate and distinct way to set their browser cookies accordingly...

For instance a typical IE7 default policy is:

Third party cookies without a compact privacy policy or those with a policy that uses your personal information without your consent are blocked. First party cookies without a compact privacy policy or those with a policy that uses your personal information without your consent are blocked.
Links to information on how to set cookie handling for most browsers could also be included on that page.

All of the above is what I suspect a typical seasoned user would tell a new user to check if that new user had problems anyway. Having that information up front would make it easier for all to reference.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
qgil-

Looking at your links, I don't see anything about talk.maemo.org (the forums). Is there / should there be any interest in including that login as well? Particularly as a maemo.org login is currently required to vote for the community council? Or will people who are primarily active in the forum need to have 2 logins?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
qgil-

Looking at your links, I don't see anything about talk.maemo.org (the forums). Is there / should there be any interest in including that login as well? Particularly as a maemo.org login is currently required to vote for the community council? Or will people who are primarily active in the forum need to have 2 logins?
Good call dude. I didn't catch that.

Along the lines of my first post... maemo.org sites still do not serve proper cookies. New or old users alike must log-on at every visit regardless of their browsers cookie handling settings.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Yes, this is an old problem. Relates to Midgard and recently seems that to Bugzilla as well. Garage and Wiki are fine. Your votes and feedback are welcome.

Bug 2085 - Same logged in and https behavior as in Garage

Last edited by qgil; 2009-05-10 at 09:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Some update on SSO and the different logins at the moment:

1) The same credentials are used for maemo.org, garage and the wiki, apart from that are bugzilla and talk.maemo.org

2) The SSO is considered for all the mentioned services and I am working on integrating them and building up a test-environment. As there are different services, with different user account databases, the task is pretty complex and will take some more time. The time frame is to have at least the wiki and probably one other service integrated in the test-environment until end of the month.

3) The different user-accounts is really a bit tricky and not completely decided how we will do that. But goal is to merge the accounts from the existing services. We will see how this works. Step by step we will sort out the things with the test-environment.

Cheers Daniel

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Hi all,

there are some news about Maemo SSO. I've updated the wiki and written a blog-post about that.

If you have ideas, suggestions or comments you are invited to discuss that tomorrow at 12:00 UTC in #maemo-meeting

Cheers Daniel

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
Thanks for doing the hard work on this difficult task, people don't seem to grasp the complexity of this problem. The graphs and wiki page make it a lot clearer. It looks promising!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
We use CAS a lot where I work -- really neat tool. Makes me hopeful this can be made to work soon...

Tags
maemo.org