Active Topics

Originally Posted by unknown.obvious View Post
I tried another method to build a kernel package with make-kpkg.

While cross-compiling it did show some x86-arch warnings but the packages seem to be arm allright but not sure it is really ok.

Updated Package:
http://depositfiles.com/files/hsfcaxaro
(md5sum: 6ab2dd7751cc4355a738e5f35de25939 n900-kernel-with-dto14-patch-v2.tar.gz)

I included a uImage and the kernel-config I used and of course the dto=14 patch was applied on source.

Modified source according to this Patch: http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-om.../msg64033.html

Booted Kernel on n900 no problem. If package doesn't install you can unpack the .deb and still get the modules. In that case you might find "depmod -a" usefull to load modules.

Code:
make-kpkg --rootcmd=fakeroot --revision=0 \
   --append-to-version=-custom --arch=armel \
   --cross-compile=/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf- kernel-image kernel_headers modules --initrd
(--arch=armel seems to be wrong or did someone manage to install it? it probably should be --arch=armhf but that didn't work for me. If I use new ubuntu or something from linaro maybe?)

Have fun!
I haven't tried installing the package, I manually copied over respective files.

it does boot, but user space crashes still occur frequently.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@unknown.obvious - did you enable ARM thumb errata workaround for your kernel build?

CONFIG_ARM_ERRATA_430973=Y

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
I haven't tried installing the package, I manually copied over respective files.

it does boot, but user space crashes still occur frequently.
Ok. How do these crashes look like? These are my expirience: I booted a daily Image of Ubuntu with this kernel. With only the "nokia-n900-input-rules.conf" in xorg.conf.d. It booted till login-screen but I did get some "log" errors before that and I assume at this point these are because the initrd isn't right. The login-screen itselft looked good but I couldn't login because there was no user made and guest-login just went back to login screen.

after that I tried the "kubuntu-mobile-n900-integration_0.1_all" but that crashed login-screen, probably some files other than nokia-n900-input-rules.conf are not compatible.

I tried to modifly uInitrd but no success yet.

I tried this kernel also on a archlinux image and there have been no problems at all.

I'll try some more stuff with ubuntu. If it doesn't work, let's try to build a hardware pack for n900 the linaro way: https://wiki.linaro.org/HowTo

@unknown.obvious - did you enable ARM thumb errata workaround for your kernel build?

CONFIG_ARM_ERRATA_430973=Y
Yes, that I did.

Last edited by unknown.obvious; 2012-04-20 at 16:40.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to unknown.obvious For This Useful Post:
Ok. How do these crashes look like? These are my expirience: I booted a daily Image of Ubuntu with this kernel. With only the "nokia-n900-input-rules.conf" in xorg.conf.d. It booted till login-screen but I did get some "log" errors before that and I assume at this point these are because the initrd isn't right. The login-screen itselft looked good but I couldn't login because there was no user made and guest-login just went back to login screen.

after that I tried the "kubuntu-mobile-n900-integration_0.1_all" but that crashed login-screen, probably some files other than nokia-n900-input-rules.conf are not compatible.

I tried to modifly uInitrd but no success yet.

I tried this kernel also on a archlinux image and the have been no problems at all.

I'll try some more stuff with ubuntu. If it doesn't work, let's try to build a BSP for n900 the linaro way: https://wiki.linaro.org/HowTo

Yes, that I did.
sorry, silly mistake on my end regarding crashing, fixed and tested again..

I installed 12.04 daily image using the script, and choose "use old ubuntu kernel" so packages from nemo aren't installed, after the installation is done, I manually installed multiple kernels for testing.

results:

using old ubuntu kernel / kernel from nemo:

the system boots, you can log in, unity doesn't always finish loading before crashing, and if it does load, you are greeted with a ton of problem reporting dialogs once you launch a program or two.
And in the end it crashes to log in screen.

using your kernel:

the system boots fine, you can launch programs fine, unity no longer crashes to login screen.

seems stable enough with no crashes at all after 1 hour of testing.

[Edit]

after further testing, some programs still crash occasionally ending with the report problems dialog (firefox, ubuntu one, update notifier, nautilus), I can't trace the cause (it may not be related to kernel after all), and overall the system is quite slow.

still definitely it is much more stable using your kernel than the others, as crashes occur every 2 minutes or so using the other kernels.

Last edited by ivyking; 2012-04-20 at 18:18.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ivyking For This Useful Post:
Great start for the weekend. Just to clarify: ivyking you used the int_ua's script (with beforementioned fixes) to install daily? How did you install unknown.obvious' kernel (just installing the debs he provided? manual copying of files?)?
Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:

Yes, that I did.
Finally, some common sense :P

Hooray , after all it seems thumb2 is possible on n900 (dance) ... or not, lets wait a little bit

@ivyking, your initial report that Ubuntu is unstable even with thumb errata workaround enabled nearly bring me a heart attack, don't do it again man, I am not that young

freemangordon:
Your pushing for the errata inclusion did pay out in the end
Just one question as have been reviewing the thread and at some point you mentioned:

"Finally (after several retries) the lady was installed ok. But as I am using class 10 sdcard along with Pali's u-boot I am getting hit by -110 sdcard errors. Pali, we should do something about u-boot"

With few tries (mostly unsuccessful) of int_ua's script I've never had those. Using latest Samsung class 10 card. Are you sure it is connected to U-Boot (or maybe it was fixed in the meantime as was bit late to the party due to logistical reasons)?

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
freemangordon:
Your pushing for the errata inclusion did pay out in the end
But of course, there is just no way to run thumb/2 compiled binaries on n900 without it. Still left to see if it is enough.

Just one question as have been reviewing the thread and at some point you mentioned:

"Finally (after several retries) the lady was installed ok. But as I am using class 10 sdcard along with Pali's u-boot I am getting hit by -110 sdcard errors. Pali, we should do something about u-boot"

With few tries (mostly unsuccessful) of int_ua's script I've never had those. Using latest Samsung class 10 card. Are you sure it is connected to U-Boot (or maybe it was fixed in the meantime as was bit late to the party due to logistical reasons)?
AFAIK not all of the class 10 cards are affected, just some of them. And mine is one of the affected ones for sure, i'd seen -110 errors even under maemo with -omap1(nokia stock) kernel. On the other hand I am not aware of any change in u-boot, and TBH it is not u-boot, but kernel problem, so...

Just read ivyking's edit... bit of a downer. Would programs he mentions crashing need recompilation with some kind of errata too??? Or should errata-compiled kernel be enough to avoid those?

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Great start for the weekend. Just to clarify: ivyking you used the int_ua's script (with beforementioned fixes) to install daily? How did you install unknown.obvious' kernel (just installing the debs he provided? manual copying of files?)?
Thanks!
yes I fixed the "--no-log" part in the script then installed, selected 12.04 daily, old ubuntu kernel, local firmware (copied from maemo), all dialogs with default selections.
after finishing:
extract unknown's .deb, copy the uImage to the first partition of the sdcard, copy the 2.6.37-custom folder to /lib/modules/
create a new boot.scr to load the uImage.
finally do "depmod -a" for modules to load correctly.

that's all, please do test it yourself it doesn't crash that much really..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivyking For This Useful Post: