Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I'm digesting this blog post and comments about the community promoted préDevCamp and its clash with Palm and the Pre official launch: http://blog.gallucci.net/2009/05/pal...nt-get-it.html

And the continuation: http://predevcamp.org/2009/05/29/big...om-predevcamp/

Every company and every community has its own story and I'm not interested in nailing this one around the Pre launch. But it's worth looking at the elements exposed in this blog post (and other related you might have, please share) to see what we (the Maemo community and Nokia) are doing right or wrong, and what could or should be improved.

We have some elements in common to compare, and some differences that make the comparisons not 100% translatable: there is a Maemo 5 launch without a date announced, there is a Maemo Summit with a date decided but not necessarely linked to the launch, there is a possibility to involve some community developers and representatives in the launch but that would involve an NDA at least to keep the date confidential...

Opinions? Ideas? Not only for now this case of Maemo 5, generic ideas on how to collaborate more and better around public launches and developer camps are also very much appreciated.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the post Quim. Just to add, I've been actively following what is happening on the Pre scene and this post from Palm sort of stabilizes the situation: http://pdnblog.palm.com/2009/05/a-predevcamp-update/

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
...there is a possibility to involve some community developers and representatives in the launch but that would involve an NDA at least to keep the date confidential...
No. Please don't fragment the community by forcing some of us to keep secrets from everyone else.

To the extent that Nokia is prepared to be open about Maemo, please be open. To the extent that Nokia can't be open, just be silent.

Regards,
Roger

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
I don't see it as being a big problem for some people to be involved, if they want to be, and sign an NDA for Nokia's benefit.

E.g. developers of the Fremantle Stars apps being able to do some more on-device hacking and getting everything polished up for release at the same time as the new hw.

I should add that I'm not one of these people, so this isn't a self-serving comment!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
there is a Maemo 5 launch without a date announced, there is a Maemo Summit with a date decided but not necessarely linked to the launch,
Hehe, now you linked 'em Let the speculation begin!

there is a possibility to involve some community developers and representatives in the launch but that would involve an NDA at least to keep the date confidential...
Personally, I have nothing against NDAs. I think the problem with Palm Pre site was that its owners had definition of non-disclosurable materials somewhat different from Palm's. On the other hand, Palm's legal department overreacted: a stern warning would be enough in that particular case.

Not only for now this case of Maemo 5, generic ideas on how to collaborate more and better around public launches and developer camps are also very much appreciated.
My suggestion is to collaborate extensively with software developers in the community who have proven that they are worth their word. I have no personal opinion on collaboration with bloggers. Also, NDAs should concisely enumerate types of information that cannot be disclosed. And, of course, I would strongly suggest to listen to hardware design suggestions from the community and implement the most wanted ones. No, Quim, seriously, how many times and how many people have to ask for that goddamn dpad, to make your hw engineers finally listen?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Thank you.

The first thing that is different here may be Nokia’s acknowledgment through you that a public grass roots community is of value and participant motivation can be altruistic.

I say “may be different” because it is not always clear if you are posting as a member of this community or an employee of Nokia. *

From what I understand of the Palm situation is that Palm initially may have taken the stance that the “community” was attempting to compromise marketing decisions regarding release dates. The community’s initial motivation was to coordinate their events with the release of, at the very least, the SDK. Unfortunately this then provided the environment for both party’s worse fears as fanbois did try to extrapolate release dates from Palm’s responses, and Palm employees publicly questioned the motivation of volunteer community organizers. (I’m thinking at least one Palm employee is now looking for a job )

These things will happen. There will always be people trying to game the system. However just because they can, doesn’t mean the system is at fault or it needs to be abandoned, it just means both sides must be aware and vigilant.

Of course Palms newest response may be calculated to simply quell the disturbance until after the launch.

* Edit:
This is relevant as members of our own community may attempt to redirect this thread in order to find answers to unrelated questions that are important too them.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-06-04 at 11:14.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I think involving trusted developers* and community leaders** in Maemo 5's launch is the right thing to do. The presence of a NDA on these individuals will not fragment the community - these people are already at the forefront of Maemo/maemo.org representation. They are the most passionate in their areas of interest, and have demonstrated time and again their professionalism and ability to represent developer/community interests.

If Nokia is considering being this open in a launch as strategic as Maemo and its devices, then I think those of us in the bowels of the ship will understand the need for NDA's.

* - Fremantle Stars, for instance
** - not limited to the Council

Last edited by EIPI; 2009-06-04 at 11:57. Reason: clarified community leaders

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Disclosing that you have an NDA can sometimes be seen as sufficient to be in breach of said NDA. The law is an ***.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Disclosing that you have an NDA can sometimes be seen as sufficient to be in breach of said NDA. The law is an ***.
There is no specific law governing NDAs. When signing NDA, you promise not to disclose information explicitly listed in the NDA you are signing. Anything not explicitly listed in the NDA you can disclose, including the fact of signing the NDA or your relationship with the company.

PS: In fact, NDAs are usually mutual, so the company can't disclose your sensitive information too. This includes the amount of your pay, the cost of goods you intend to sell to the company, your API specifics, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
After I read the links I was not so concerened about NDA's; however, what I saw was a missed opportunity by Palm to partner with the community.

From what I have been hearing about this it seems that the "lessons learned" could be that Nokia should have a "focal point of contact" with the community and standardized, well communicated expectations.

I think there was a communication failure as result of not having a proper partnership and the required trust, which was needed for such an undertaking...

Anyway... all those Devs want to go somewhere right?...perhaps this lost opportunity is someone elses gain....

Last edited by jandmdickerson; 2009-06-04 at 19:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, maemo community council, maemo summit, palm