Notices

Hi dwould,

Could you please introduce the feature of adding multiple search texts which reloads at set frequency. And also an option to cache it as i di not get internet often.
I love this app and it is becoming my main twitter app on n900

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by leojab View Post
Hi dwould,

Could you please introduce the feature of adding multiple search texts which reloads at set frequency. And also an option to cache it as i di not get internet often.
I love this app and it is becoming my main twitter app on n900

If you go to the search view, and enter multiple search terms in the input field, separated by commas, then hit refresh. IT will do a search for each of those terms and present the combined results.
If you set a refresh interval for the search view in the preferences, it will reload it at that frequency.

Is that what you wanted? or is there some specific difference in your requirement?
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Originally Posted by dwould View Post
You're missing the beginning of that log, the bit that would show whether witter thinks it created an authenticated api instance, and what it was using.
it looks like for some reason it hasn't picked up your account, can you confirm that when you re-start witter, it still shows your account details and shows it as a) active, and b) with oauth configured.
As you ssuspected, restarting witter doesnt store my account details. everytime I need to enter the login credentials & configure the OAUTH. Please find the complete log when I run witter on my N900.
run-standalone.sh /opt/witter/witter.py
no text colour setting
no text colour setting
no location setting
no service setting
No refresh_interval section
No refresh_interval section
No filters section
end of file, probably no token
No users section, failed loading user accounts
Failed to establish api for Twitter
Failed to load cached timeline
/opt/witter/ui/gtkWitter.py:82: GtkWarning: gtk_container_child_set_property: assertion `child->parent == GTK_WIDGET (container)' failed
self.builder.add_from_file("/usr/share/witter/witter.ui")
UI elements loaded from file
signals connected to buttons
Loading Theme Icons
pixbufs loaded for default theme
defining ui buttons
define portrait keyboard objects
define general window
adding button to panned area
time to show the window
running tasks: 1
running tasks: 0
running tasks: 2
running tasks: 0
location sharing enabled
start location tracking
end refresh setup
setting never rotate
trigger landscape orientation
getting profile info
Failed to load profile info
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'GetUser'
location error: 0... quitting

When I do "witter-timeline" --> "Account Setup" --> "New" and entered the credentials:
Establishing api for Twitter using basic auth
Connection working ok
obtained oauth request_token
requesting auth url
authorization url is http://twitter.com/oauth/authorize?o...KnjhPiFqbeA%3D

After entering the login credentials, I tried to configure OAUTH as it is displaying OAUTH not configured newt to "Configure OAUTH" button in "Account Setup" Menu --> "New" Tab:
User pressed 'OK' button'
oauth_token_secret=uxiXwt0UywHjKF1dhxu2HsWgUGUiPum IcEUSNQer9c&oauth_token=196515767-NxQ93BurTqQaaFhAq43RaakjhpYOfi4OkjvScAgT

It opened maemo browser and entered twitter page and gave a pin, I entered that pin in Witter and clicked OK
Now come back to "Accounts" there is an entry my username. I pressed "set Active". the log is

switching active account to npapd123
switching active account to npapd123

Now comeback to "Witter-timeline" window and clicked on "Timeline" icon and clicking refresh button. The log is:
building stacked window with timeline view
defined stackable win
setting up treeview
setting cell wrap to 720
/opt/witter/ui/gtkWitter.py:560: GtkWarning: gtk_box_pack: assertion `child->parent == NULL' failed
iconBox.pack_start(self.timelineButton)
/opt/witter/ui/gtkWitter.py:561: GtkWarning: gtk_box_pack: assertion `child->parent == NULL' failed
iconBox.pack_start(self.mentionsButton)
/opt/witter/ui/gtkWitter.py:562: GtkWarning: gtk_box_pack: assertion `child->parent == NULL' failed
iconBox.pack_start(self.dmsButton)
calling showall

refreshing view
getting tweets with npapd123
base url = https://twitter.com/
base url of api object = https://twitter.com/
Exception in thread Thread-6:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/threading.py", line 486, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/threading.py", line 446, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File "/home/user/src/witter/fremantle/src/opt/witter/witter/refresh_thread.py", line 80, in _refresh
File "/opt/witter/witter.py", line 955, in getTweetsWrapper
self.activeAccount.getTweets(auto=autoval, older=get_older, get_count=more)
File "/home/user/src/witter/fremantle/src/opt/witter/account/account.py", line 278, in getTweets
File "/home/user/src/witter/fremantle/src/opt/witter/twitter.py", line 1450, in GetFriendsTimeline
raise TwitterError("User must be specified if API is not authenticated.")
TwitterError: User must be specified if API is not authenticated.

Here it is continuously loading and never came back and no updates. I cameback one window i.e witter mainwindow and again clicked on timeline and this time i typed "Hi" and pressed "tweet" icon: The log is:
closed timeline view
building stacked window with timeline view
defined stackable win
setting up treeview
setting cell wrap to 720
calling showall

running tasks: 2
sending tweet
reply to
Tweeting with location info
None
None
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/witter/witter.py", line 267, in enterPressed
result = self.activeAccount.newTweet(tweet, reply_to_name=self.reply_to_name, reply_to_id=self.reply_to)
File "/home/user/src/witter/fremantle/src/opt/witter/account/account.py", line 1045, in newTweet
File "/opt/witter/twitter.py", line 1683, in PostUpdate
raise TwitterError("The twitter.Api instance must be authenticated.")
twitter.TwitterError: The twitter.Api instance must be authenticated.

Originally Posted by prawin1111 View Post
As you ssuspected, restarting witter doesnt store my account details. everytime I need to enter the login credentials & configure the OAUTH. Please find the complete log when I run witter on my N900.
sorry for the slow response, it's been a manic week.

could you check the contents of a file in your home directory.
from xterm:

more /home/user/.witter

and

more /home/user/.witterUser

these should contain saved content.
if you just load witter from fresh (delete the above files to reset witter to initial state) then configure an account. don't set it active, just enter the pin, then exit witter and go look at the above files again.
also the log from shutting down may reveal a problem with storing credentials.

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:

D,

Thanks as always for all your hard work on Witter.

I flashed PR1.3 and then re-installed Witter from Extras Testing, and I've noticed one error. When the 'use my location' feature is turned on, Witter start-up causes the GPS device to activate.

When Witter is closed, the GPS device remains active.

I imagine there may be a 'stop' signal Witter sends to the GPS device that's getting interrupted in PR1.3?

Thanks!

Happy to field questions where I can help.
================================================

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have always loved Witter, but lately I have reduced my list of acceptable Twitter clients on the N900 to zero. I like the Witter client on my N810 better than this one.

I hate going to the screen with two options at the beginning; then I basically choose between Tweet and Search.

And Witter has STILL not figured out a way to keep saved searches. Even Twitter proper has that.

I will keep watching Witter; hopefully it will pull out of its slump or I will start liking it more...

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I have always loved Witter, but lately I have reduced my list of acceptable Twitter clients on the N900 to zero. I like the Witter client on my N810 better than this one.

I hate going to the screen with two options at the beginning; then I basically choose between Tweet and Search.

And Witter has STILL not figured out a way to keep saved searches. Even Twitter proper has that.

I will keep watching Witter; hopefully it will pull out of its slump or I will start liking it more...
feel free to write your own better one.

At this point it is looking unlikely to change much since my n900 seems to have died today, it will no longer boot.
I was thinking of replacing it soon anyway, and I won't be staying with Nokia devices.

Originally Posted by dwould View Post
At this point it is looking unlikely to change much since my n900 seems to have died today, it will no longer boot.
I was thinking of replacing it soon anyway, and I won't be staying with Nokia devices.
Sad to hear that Daniel, as IMO you have been a great developer for Maemo OS and witter IS an excellent twitter client. Should this be the last you worked on it I can safely say it is in very good condition for day to day use, and I'd like to say a massive thanks for your work on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ikirk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ikirk View Post
Sad to hear that Daniel, as IMO you have been a great developer for Maemo OS and witter IS an excellent twitter client. Should this be the last you worked on it I can safely say it is in very good condition for day to day use, and I'd like to say a massive thanks for your work on it.
Cheers,
As it happens my n900 is still covered by warranty. So I'll send it off and see what happens. I can't really afford to replace it right now if I don't need to.

I have tested many other clients, they all suck. But witter just works! It's awesome. I am indoors so location was funny, after killing it from the config file, it works well. Congratulations and hope your N900 will be replaced quickly.

Tags
python, twitter