Active Topics

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
I always thought it was supposed to be 'hold and slide' - I actually found that I could get the menu to stay up without any finger pressure by accident, and I was like "OH! Check this out!" But I have to agree with above posters, it's a bit hit-and-miss. My bird's N8 has this feature, and it's *much* easier to have the submenu stay without the sliding finger action... that's what she said

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
The N900 version of Firefox has a better evolved version of the long press.

As mentioned, the menu pops up outside of the area where the finger is. Not only does it make the menu choices immediately legible, but it excludes the erroneous selections that often occur when the menu pops up under the finger.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Accra Ghana
Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
It is a simple hold to bring a sub-menu and then lift your damn finger to see the menu and choose whatever you want. If somehow your n900 is acting ******ed and wants to select right away, why don't you slide your finger to the desired selection. don't lift the finger until you choose your selection. it can't be that hard ~
Dude, did you read what he wrote? And do you really have an N900? Go to the file manager and try to call up the menu the way he described.

If there is one thing that frustrates the devil out of me with the N900, it's this crappy UI design!

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Berkeley, CA
Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
problem is when people keep finger slanted while part of finger is touching the first option, that option gets selected. a blue highlight shos its selected. it should all be black. try holding with finger more or so parallel to screen. you will never repeat your problem. if blue highlight is there then ur finger needs to be less slanted.

hope this helps
you have no clue.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ India
yes i agree, the context menu ui sucks, hopefully the good men at cssu will fix it.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by figaro View Post
unfortunately, IT IS

1. problem is, the second I lift my finger, whichever items get shown directly where I point my finger will be selected automatically

2. I'd be lucky if all pop up menu have lots of items so I can scroll to opposite sides to see the item labels, but unfortunately like in media player, you get only 1 choice, which is "Delete", and the whole label is covered by my finger and there's no way I can read it (I get the chance to read it while I'm using stylus, and I'm not a typical stylus user)
agree I hope this is fixed in meegbo/harmattan(qt). meego system in gtk sucks.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
Originally Posted by figaro View Post
what he meant is, even if your finger on top of a selection/highlighted item, it shouldn't be automatically selected when you lift your finger
I'd prefer this way: first, long press, show up the popup menu. release finger ANYWHERE, and tap once more to select the item
Ok now I see the point.

But even if it was as you are suggesting, I am sure there would be someone to say: "what a stupid UI! I lift my finger off the highlighted area and it needs a second tap to open! What a waste of 0.23 seconds"

I still like it as it is though, and I find it very easy and effective

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Hate this feature, too. I actually made a thread earlier, but since my topic wasn't nearly as provocative as yours, I got no replies.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...584#post926584

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
I seem to recall this being discussed before, but could not find it even after quite some searching.

I've been wondering whether there is any way of altering the "long press/tap -> context menu" -behaviour. Currently we tap on an item for a long press, the menu appears, and then we have to, while holding down, move the stylus/finger/else to the desired menu item and then let go to select the menu item.
I've always preferred the behaviour I had on my PPC2003 devices; long press to open menu (pointer is animated to show how long to press), lift off the pointer, inspect the menu items, and tap the one you want. The issue has gotten worse since installing a Celly screen protector, as it's rather thick and makes the touch screen less responsive.

Thus; is there any way to alter this behaviour?

I'd also like to disable the behaviour where a long tap on the desktop brings up the desktop editing mode, as it has caused some widget-disappearances in past (slip the phone in pocket without remembering to lock the display).

Any help is greatly appreciated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aonsaithya For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zifis View Post
Ok now I see the point.

But even if it was as you are suggesting, I am sure there would be someone to say: "what a stupid UI! I lift my finger off the highlighted area and it needs a second tap to open! What a waste of 0.23 seconds"

I still like it as it is though, and I find it very easy and effective
I don't think anyone complained how the n8x0 worked for context menus, Also the n8x0 also allowed a long press, slide selection without lifting the stylus/finger so your way would still work, but without making the other way difficult to impossible.

Why couldn't they just implement it the way it has always worked on the NIT's, it's just poor design for no reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
So what, it's different, so instead of making the mental effort to get used to it you condemn it as bad? It's perfectly fine of a UI paradigm, though I do wish they had some settings option somewhere to A: Switch on the second-tap-to-select option for all the people who don't like using this one, and B: Change the pressure sensitivity levels for it deciding you have let go of the context menu. And, ideally, C for changing the offset of the menu from the point where you're long-pressing.

Anyway, I myself have gotten frustrated with the context menu doing stupid **** in the past, but it's not that hard to learn, I think. You can "roll"/slide your finger over while still pressing, to see the menu options.

Just get out of the mindset that the menu must let you lift your finger up and BAM, it shouldn't be long before the habit of yanking your finger away should fade.

For my part, I got so used to Maemo 5's way, that when I was trying to use Opera on my N900 a few days ago, I was struggling the same way. I kept trying to slide to select and the damn thing would cancel the context menu instead of choosing the option I selected. It took me a few tries to realize I had to let go then tap again. Don't go taking your UI paradigms for granted - if the Maemo5 way was more common, people like you would be spazzing when encountering second-tap-to-select-option UI designs.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-03-18 at 22:35. Reason: typos