Active Topics

Just thinking if it is desirable to create a "maemo distribution" to use has a full OS on a PC. Given that maemo applications have such a small footprint and are already a considerable ecosystem, a maemo distribution would be ideal to old PCs, laptops, etc.

I am not qualified (in knowledge and time!) to do such task but here I leave the chalenge.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, maemo for eeepc?

Might not be such a bad idea to run on this kind of PC:
CherryPal mini-desktop consumes two watts of power
This thing consumes roughly the same amount of power as an ITT, with a processor that runs at comparable speeds.
Then again, if it's Maemo, you would not even be able to able run OpenOffice or Firefox on it.

bah, abiword and gnumeric

openoffice is up there alongside ms office in footprint/bloat, and koffice is not far behind sadly...

and didnt amd make a similar computer to the cherrypal at one point?

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
There are other very small footprint operating systems (puppylinux) that can run just fine on older computers. Puppy needs 80MB space (CD or thumb drive if you can boot from them), 32Mb ram, and a pentium processor (I guess x86 doesn't work). They do mention it runs on the EeePC.

There are packages for openoffice and abiword for puppy.

Some linux distros already target low spec machines (e.g. Puppy, DSL).

Besides, I imagine that some parts of IT-OS200* do belong to Nokia and some parts are designed to the specific hardware of the tablets. That is, porting maemo to intel might be quite hard.

But I keep thinking that maemo has the right balance of "lightness", "moderness" and simplicity to insuflate new life to old machines.

One other advantage of having the OS200* running on a PC is that maemo would be much more attractive to develop for.

Last edited by robur; 2008-07-21 at 21:05.

Dual boot the IPhone!!!

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
if there was more apps for maemo like a word processsor and stuff that didn't require a second os to be installed then maemo for a pc would be great.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

hmm, now i recall a image from some presentation where someone was using the maemo "desktop" on a laptop...

also, there is this:
http://beagleboard.org/