Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Costa Rica
Hi

I have been using Maemo Mapper for a while, but recently I have been some troubles downloading new maps. So I decided to uninstall it and start all over again. I think my mistake was to delete the maps folder manually, but the thing is that after reinstall Mapper again, when I try to open it, it gives me this error:

Failed to open path database. Tracks and routes will not be saved.
database is locked
Where can I find the config file to define a new path or some kind of full reset of the application.

Thank you very much

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
You can find out where M/Mapper is looking for the DB by going to >Maps in M/M's menu. Then >Manage Repositories.. When the window opens see what path is recorded for the Cache DB...

First make sure you are not USB tethered to another computer. It may simply be that M/M can not access the memory card while connected.

The problem is that I can't even open M/Mapper. When I try to launchit from the menu, the error I mentioned popups up and nothing else happens. Mapper never gets launched at all.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Try launching Maemo Mapper from the terminal. If it fails to start you will normally get some terminal messages.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Sorry for my noobness, how do I launch it from the terminal? I mean, what would be the path to mapper. Even more, maybe the path where Mapper looks for the maps is in some config text file somewhere and can be edited directly... but I have no idea in which folder to look.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Maemo mapper typically looks for maps in a directory named Maps it will build this directory by default in the device memory where the Documents and Audio clips directories are found.

You may simply be out of device memory. In my experience if the Maps directory can not be found by M/Mapper or a file is corrupt, M/M will still open to a black screen and you could still access the menu.

I would check memory availability by using the control panel applet...

EDIT: BTW, it is easy to get to this device memory full state if you were downloading large amounts of maps and had not changed the storage path to a memory card.

If this is the case the simple fix would be to move this Maps directory from device memory to the external or internal storage cards using file manager, fire up M/M that may now open to a black screen (no maps), then change the file path by browsing to where you moved Maps using the Manage Repositories screen that I directed you to in my first post in this thread.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-08-06 at 00:58.

Actually, the paths database is either corrupt, or inaccessible. That's not located in the normally user accessible area. I know because I was futzing with it not long back. If the folder doesn't exist, MM can just recreate it and a default paths db.

You should find it by going to "/home/user/.maemo-mapper/" If you can't get into that folder, you'll need to do it either from the console, or from something like emelFM2. If that path exists, and the folder exists, and the file exists, delete the .maemo-mapper folder and the file inside, then reopen MM. It should rebuild everything by default.

Also, be sure that you have enough spare room on your main drive. Lack of that can cause the db to be improperly generated and thus broken. As YoDude said, make sure that your maps directory isn't on your main drive, but rather either your mmc2 or your external card which is mmc1. I prefer the last one. Especially since my database has now crossed the 4gb line and should continue growing till it hits nearly 6gb. heh.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Run Mapper in the terminal /usr/bin/maemo-mapper.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Tags
mapper maps