Posts: 31 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Missouri
I was on GSMArena today and was reading an article about the new Symbian^3 that said:
"Multitouch is finally making its way to the Symbian platform - both on capacitive and resistive displays."

If Nokia has multitouch working on resistive screens for it's Symbian OS, do you think that they will bring that to the N900 in future firmware updates or in MeeGo?

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
it is not possible on the N900 due to hardware limitations
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania

Posts: 312 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ dubai
there was this game on he 5800 xpress, like tap tap revenge , but MUCH simpler,it had multitouch somehow.. and was released in october 2009

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Tricase, Lecce (ITA)
with future update we can zoom with pinch gesture. All thanks to QT.

But is a false pinch gesture....very similar however

The Following User Says Thank You to Shady 91' For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
with future update we can zoom with pinch gesture. All thanks to QT.
But is a false pinch gesture....very similar hower

NICE!

Wow... I'm impressed. Is it possible on the n900? That's as in, how different is the touchscreen on this to the HTC and do they produce similarly read outputs?

I'm guessing that math(s) (damn incrrect spelling!!) isn't going to be commonknowledge though and the code won't be open source...

So, anyone got a maths phd?!

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
to all (I'm the author of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNTsIut1h98):

this is extremely simple and common knowledge, Engadget simply failed in posting that as some kind of revelation. There are even scientific papers on this topic (including some more advanced techniques for recognizing this kind of gesture).

In short: it is not comfortable to use this technique for pinch to zoom (is someone reaaally wants to try this, PM me), as the problem is that we have two moving points. However, if we think about using that for one fixed point and one moving point, the usecase can be interesting.

Think about this:

Where the big circle is an analog stick and buttons are.. well buttons If the pseudo-multitouch it is easy to be able to control the analog stick and SIMULTANEOUSLY discover press of the button. Which would be nice control in the games.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
not sure if many ppl have tried this....pinch to zoom-out works in angry birds as well....it enables you to see the full pitch on the n900 screen...it is not as smooth but works....